Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-14-2005, 04:46 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers - March 14 - 20

Good morning and happy new week to all the Maintainers! Apparently spring is never coming to Western Pennsylvania since once again it's 18 degrees out this morning. Bah!

How is everyone today? Life is mega-hectic but good here. My schedule is getting very busy at the gym – today I have five clients plus some kind of mandatory two-hour meeting (the Foundations of Fitness ), so I’ll be toting several meals in my gym bag. I’ve discovered that (for my own sanity ) I need to plan out my clients' weekly workouts in advance, so sat down yesterday, tried to get creative, typed them all out, and filed them in my binder. Whew! Once I get better at what I’m doing, it will be easier to plan workouts as I go along, but for now I need my clipboard and a road map for each hour.

One of my clients is a 16-year old competitive ballroom dancer – just the cutest little thing! It’s a treat watching her lift weights because she does it like a dancer, with grace, lovely arm movements, and little flutter kicks. I feel like some big hulking clod next to her! One of her goals is to get a baby four-pack, so I found a six week ab-blaster workout that we’re going to start today. I’m going to get down on the floor and do it right along with her, so we’ll see what happens in six weeks!

I also have an appointment this afternoon to meet a 14-year old who apparently needs to lose 100 pounds. Fingers crossed that I can help her. She starts high school next year and we all know how brutal THAT can be. Wouldn’t it be great if she can get a handle on her weight situation NOW and not spend so many years struggling, the way so many of us did?

DD is home from college for spring break and feeling somewhat neglected, so I’m trying to block out a big chunk of the day tomorrow for a mother-daughter shopping trip. She’s down to size 6 (from 18) and has no summer clothes that fit. And she’s going to try on two piece bathing suits for the first time ever!

I hope everyone is doing well and can take a minute to pop in and say hi. Right now it’s cardio time here – if I don’t do it first thing, it REALLY doesn’t get done these days!

Have a great week!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:34 AM   #2  

Hi Meg & the other maintainers,

Meg, good to see that you still found the time to post & start this weeks thread.

Spring is coming over our way. The forecast for today is that warm air will be coming in. I like that, I can't wait for spring to start. We have a load of sick or half sick people around with cold and flu like symptoms, and I want them all to clear away in the spring sun. Also I want to enjoy my garden !

Had a great weekend here, friends visiting. So the food was not OK at all. I am going to take more care of that now. Excercise wise: did LBW today, with 15 mins row, 25 mins jog and 25 mins bike.

Have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:13 AM   #3  
Mel

Hi there Maintainers I don't feel much like a maintainer this morning. Last week was a bad slip backwards, but I think I'm back on track. Each day food got preogressively worse through the course of the day, although workouts got progressively stronger. LOL, funny how that can be the case. All carbed up! My little run-in with a treadmill resulted in 2 fractured ribs, so cardio is again sluggish. I'm not getting on the scale until the end of the week- no sense getting even more depressed. I know what's happening.

Meg- Congratulations to your DD! She must feel like a million dollars, which is about what her new wardrobe is going to cost you I'm sure it will be a joy for both of you to outfil her in new spring clothes, tho. Isn't it always spring/summer in NM? See what a great role model you are? Funny how it was her initial attempt to get stronger that got you into the gym in the first place. You must be so proud of her.

Rabbit- I'm with you on the cleaning up the food! We can do it together.

Also battling a head cold here. I just hope it doesn't go into my chest, because coughing could be really painful!

Off to the gym,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:24 PM   #4  

Hi,

Meg - nice to hear you enjoy helping people! Also nice that you have beauty in your work - like movements this dancer does

Mel rabbit - Do not worry, we all go thru ups and downs - I sometimes wonder if ther eis a scientific explanation why sometomes we can resist a slip down, and sometimes we can not...

My week started nicely. Did pilates yesterday night, and biked to work 13 km today in 1 hour. Hope to bike back too in about 1 hour 10 min or so - it is ups and downs all the time and I mean real ups and real downs - I am glad my mountain bike has disk brakes. Of course, on the way home I have the steepest up hill - will probably take me 10 min to climb it. Also, my youga class will fit nicely as stretch right after I used to bike on Sundays but it takes so much time and kids are too young to go 25 km stretches - so I decided to bike to work at least twice a week when weather is nice. Hope that weather will cooperate - right now we have sun and blooming trees and flowers.

Hope everybody has a nice a week!
Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:07 PM   #5  

Hello Fellow Maintainers-
Mel and Rabbit- I also had a difficult food time this past week, and a difficult food morning. I do not want the rest of my week to turn out crappy. I am right there with you in my commitment to clean up the food starting now.
Meg- your work and upcoming shopping trip with your daughter sound so inspiring. These young women are lucky to have you in their lives. i cannot help but wish i had someone like you to guide me when i was a overweight high school girl!

i am off to go for a walk in the sunshine and trudge through the large amount of snow that fell yesterday in colorado.

here is to a week of clean eating and celebration of the fact that although i have had a bad couple of days with food, i can still fit into my skinny jeans!
courageousincolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:24 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Ok, Mel, Rabbit, Courageous and Ilene, we ALL solemly promise to get back on the wagon pronto !! Oh I was sooo aweful today... I can't eat anything tonite, it's only 5PM and I have more than 1600 calories!!! OYE....

Meg -- Have fun with DD shopping.... and your new young recruits will be loads of fun to train too...

Yesterday I ran 10.5K, today I did a half A** leg workout... and ate too much... The kids are off on spring break this week... I hope it's not what the rest of the week will be like!

Anyways gotta go... TTFN...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:39 PM   #7  

Default Ups and downs of life

Hi everyone--

I've missed all of you! My laptop has a cracked lid so I have to be very careful and I've been limiting my computer time. Wish I could say I've been limiting my bad eating patterns, but that is less true. I've done a fair amount of stress eating over the past couple of weeks (aggravation w/adolescent son is primary cause). I have gained 2 pounds, but am still within my WW goal range. So it could be worse.

I have gotten myself mentally back on track and refocused efforts. I did a huge grocery shopping after school today--red peppers, grapes, oranges, apples, shredded cabbage, mushrooms, millet, kasha, bran flakes, oatmeal, wasa crackers, etc. Lots of healthy choices available now and I will cut up some veg. to bring in to work. I also made a great dinner (lentils mixed with cooked eggplant, mushrooms, garlic, mustard and spices, side of millet cooked in broth) and am now OUT of the kitchen for the night. No going back into the kitchen!

Whew, I feel better just saying that commitment out loud. Hope everyone has a good week.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:06 AM   #8  

Hello Friends!

Mel - You know by now that I feel your pain. A few weeks ago I was so far off track I was buried in a pile of white carbs/sugar! It was awful, and in the back of my mind I wondered if I'd ever find my way out. But, I did and the past 2 weeks or so have been great. As Robin always says, what goes up must come down. It sure does s*ck while you're going through the ups, though. Better day today.

Hi Meg! Wow, you're doing so well with your new career, I wish I lived in PA so you or Mel could be my personal trainer. I've really been pushing myself since Jan 1 and I'm seeing results - so exciting!! My shoulders are getting bulky I'd like to see more definition. When one says "high reps" would you define that as 3 sets of 16 reps instead of 12? Or would you go even higher? For example, I currently use 20 lb dumbells for shoulder press, 12 reps. Should I drop to 15 lbs and up to 16 reps? Is that high enough?? Mel?

Sandy - Nice job biking to work! Do you take a pilates class or have a video/dvd? I'd really like to start doing pilates as part of my routine. I'm looking for less bulk.

Hi Ilene! If I were you, I wouldn't be too upset about the 1600 cals, you ran 10.5k!! Wow, that's great.

Courageous - good for you, those skinny jeans still fit. Wear them today and you'll keep yourself on track. I'm working hard to make sure mine fit by spring.

Hi Rabbit & welcome back Elana!

As for the weather in NH, the local paper's headline read "Please, make it stop" on Sunday. I couldn't agree more, I am soooooo looking forward to Florida this year, more than ever.

Have a great day everyone!!

Last edited by lessismore; 03-15-2005 at 08:16 AM.
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:11 AM   #9  

Hi Maintainers,

and especially hi Mel, Courageous, Ilene and Elana... I was just thinking I might start clean food tomorrow... But I don't dare to anymore !!!. Thanks for the support, and i will keep this clean food resolution. is is only one day at a time after all.

Mel.. Funny, I too am battling a head cold. Hope yours will clean up real soon. Sorry to hear you had a clash with a treadmill, it must bew painfull to do your work with the sore ribs.

I still have sore legs from yesterdays LBW, and sore arms for no reason I can guess at. Did 20 mins row, 50 mins jog and 20 mins bike today. The weather is glorious and I'm going outside to enjoy it.
Have a great day,
rabbit
Old 03-15-2005, 08:31 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Maintainers,

I've had an absolutely terrible week. Had some complications with my pregnancy, and everything appears to be fine now, the baby is still healthy and heartbeat good, but I had a very scary series of trips to doctors, labs, etc. I am still in mandatory freak-out mode over every twitch, tingle, and spot. I'm doing a lot of deep breathing.

I'm grounded from exercising for a while, which isn't helping my state of mind, but I'll do what I have to do to get through it--at least I'm not on bedrest. I'm still eating what I can tolerate, which isn't the healthiest stuff, but it's getting me through. Fortunately, I seem to have quit gaining at an excessive rate, about where I should be now, so that is good at least. Also the fatigue is getting better, which is also nice. DH has been more supportive lately as well. Hard to see the positives this week, but they're there, if I look hard enough.

You guys hang in on your eating--you all know its a temporary blip and you know how to take care of it. You'll be back to normal in no time! And Mel, be careful!
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #11  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I'm thinking of you, Anne. Deep breathing is definitely a good thing.

And about my eating: yes, thanks for telling me it's a temporary blip. It must be. I'll try to breathe through the stress as well. Good idea.

Last edited by silverbirch; 03-15-2005 at 10:14 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #12  
Lawshark

Wow, Anne - sorry you've been through scary times. I'm glad that everything is well now. Take care of yourself.

Must be something in the air (Spring, perhaps) as we all seem to have gotten off track this week. I'm not concerned though as I'm gaining more confidence with maintenance as time goes along. So I've had a few extras this week - I have a rather wide buffer zone and can actually gain around 7 lbs before I even get back to my original goal weight. That doesn't mean that I won't get back on track and straighten up my eating habits. It just means that I can occasionally go off track and not have to freak out about it. And I'm learning that when I indulge and the scale goes up a couple of pounds, it usually settles right back down within the week. So anyhow, at least for this week, I'm not stressing over the fact that my scale is fluctuating up by a couple of pounds.

Here's to everybody's week getting better than it started out.

And Sandy - great job on losing weight and then maintaining with little support at home. My DH has been so supportive with my efforts. I don't know that I would have been as successful without that support. You go girl.
lawshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:26 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Anne -- Prayers going your way for a healthy pregnancy....

Today is shapping up to be a good day, exercise and food wise YAY!! I woke up to TOM this morning, so I guess this is why I've been a bit out of control with the food... I thought I was done with TOM but I guess not ... I was PMSing and didn't know it... being perimenopausal I don't know when or if I will start...

I jogged to the gym and back today, while at the gym I did back and biceps... So far food has been spot on... Taking a deep breath to continue the good work...

TTFN...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:22 AM   #14  

hi maintainers,

Anne..Sorry to hear you went through a difficult spot in the PG. Keep on hanging in there, and don't bother about the excercise. That is not your first priority now. Glad your DH is beginning to see the light. Even if you don't see all that much change, PG is a time full of changes and of getting used to. Pamper yourself as much as you can.

Hi lawshark, ilene, silverbirch.. all breathing in to get some stress off.

i did a big stress reliver this morning. UBW and 10 mins row, 50 mins jog, 5 mins bike. The running was good, I might even go run outside this spring or summer. The weather looks good enough for it.

Off to enjoy the spring & do the grocery shopping,
have a great day,
rabbit
Old 03-16-2005, 08:12 AM   #15  
Mel

Last week's plunge into binge-land put me at the very top of my maintenance range- probably above, since I had 3 clean days before I got on the scale this morning Good thing I waited, or I would have been really depressed. Unfortunately, I can't ever seem to justify it as "water weight" because it ALWAYS sticks with me unless I work incredible hard to get rid of it. Couple that with little and sluggish cardio, and it's going to take a while to undo ONE WEEK of pity party eating! Oh well, such is life. My cold is better, and I think my ribs feel a little better each day. Today is leg day and I'm not going to do any jumping, but I'll be doing a full leg routine otherwise.

Yesterday was loooong. I was at the gym from 8 am until 8:30 pm, with a brief interlude at ds's school conference where I again heard the usual littany of "smart kid, not working to his potential". OK, moms, any advice? He's 14, BTW. I've tried bribery, punishment, rewards, pep talks, yelling, giving priviledges, taking away priviledges, threats to him, threats to me....nothing works. He still does what he wants and not much more. It was a good thing I had a client right after the conference because a hot fudge sundae seemed like a reasonable solution at that point (for me, not him!)

Anne- Glad to hear you are over the danger point! My second pregnancy (child mentioned above) had a lot of scary moments.

Anne(Lessismore)- I never go above 10 rep sets on shoulders, because it's the one area I have trouble building no matter how heavy I lift, so I probably am not going to be the best help here. Are you sure they are getting "bulky"? I've never seens bulky shoulders on a woman who weighs what you do Because the muscles are so small and prone to repetitive use injuries, I wouldn't go above 15 rep sets. JMHO. I'm very wary of rotator cuff injuries for myself and my clients. I try to lift shoulders as heavy as possible on the theory that big shoulders will make my waist look smaller by comparison.

Off to do legs!
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote