Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Default Circulation Woes?

Hi, wonderful and wise maintainers!

I am hoping that you might shed some light on a small problem I'm having. Obviously this would be a good question for my doctor, but mine has left town and I'm sort of between docs right now.

I've lost over 100 pounds since last April. Ever since winter hit, my toes and fingers have been so cold! I usually don't ever wear socks, but I'm wearing them all the time now, even in bed! I wear isotoner gloves outside (it's usually anywhere from single digits to the low 30s in the winter here) and have never had any problems. This year, my fingers start "burning" with the cold even during the five minute drive and walk to work.

I thought it might be the development of a diabetes/poor circulation thing (my mom has Type II), so I had my glucose checked and I'm at 85 without fasting. So it's not that.

Maybe my body is trying to readjust to my new weight, and doesn't know how to keep me warm at this point. Or maybe I just need thicker gloves and socks?

Anyone else have this problem as they were losing? This doesn't apply to those of you in sunny spots, of course. (lucky ones!)

Thanks in advance...
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #2  

Hi - I have no help for you unfortunately, but a quick question: isn't diabetes diagnosed with your fasting blood sugar readings? Just curious. -Ruby
therubyslippers!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

I was always uncomfortably cold the first year after I lost weight. It got better the 2nd winter.

Seems like we had a thread on this not so long ago--it was a common reaction if I remember correctly. Anybody have the link?

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:49 PM   #4  

It is a common reaction after loosing weight. You do not have as much fat layer to protect you and you do not "wear" this fuzy coat anymore. I originally always cold, and after loosing weight I am freezing all the time. I have 2 heaters in my office, I always cover myself in blankets when I sit down.
Exercise will help though. It will push this blood thru and will warm you up!
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:13 PM   #5  
Mel

Uh, Laurie...ya live in upstate NY! It really is COLD there!
I had that problem too, and am cold again this winter after losing 10 more pounds. I wear fleece socks to bed every night. Very sexy

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:22 PM   #6  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

seems to be a cure for the hotflashes(loosing weight).....when you need one, it isnt around!! Ive started loosing again, and Ive noticed Ive been very cold, but I knew why. So I invested in an electric blanket and fuzzy socks for bed

Yes very sexy Mel....get the hot pink ones or the black ones with frills ontop
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:48 PM   #7  
Meg

Like this?

I dunno but they don't seem like they'd be very ... warm ... But I'm sure Laurie and Mel will want some regardless.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #8  
Mel

Depending on what the rest of the outfit looks like, I'm sure I could find a way to stay warm!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #9  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Im sure you could!!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:45 PM   #10  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Depending on what the rest of the outfit looks like, I'm sure I could find a way to stay warm!

Mel
I don't think there's supposed to be a 'rest of the outfit' ...
Old 02-04-2005, 11:38 PM   #11  

I am sooo Looking forward to hot flashes.

Beachgal - I have the same problem, this winter has brought new meaning to the term chilled to the bone, it has been painfully cold for me. I wear three layers on top to work almost every day. Usually an undershirt, some sort of long sleved shirt, and then a cardigan or a sweater of some sort. At home My husband wears tee-shirts while I have the thermostat at 74. I have become incredibly creative when it comes to dressing myself. My co-workers think is hysterical that I need to layer myself.
Deelighted4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 05:17 AM   #12  
Meg

I'm not sure if this is an answer that anyone wants to hear, but being cold all the time is a result of our slowed metabolisms after weight loss. When I went to the lecture by Dr. Rudolph Leibel about obesity and metabolism (I posted about it here ), he specifically mentioned the coldness as being the result of our (the reduced obese) non-resting metabolisms being 15-20% slower as compared to normal people.

In my experience, one's body tends to adjust over the years. Or else it's counterbalanced by the hot flashes.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:44 PM   #13  
Running Babe

Laurie: 100lbs lost is AMAZING!! Pat yourself on you back and breathe. I experienced this too, during my first winter of losing weight I was in absolute agony ALL the time when I went outside (I was living in Lennoxville PQ which is about 20 miles north of the VT border).. My overheated room was freezing etc. It will pass and not be quite so severe, I am still colder than the average person, you might have a genetic element to it too, my dad and grandmother are always cold.

Anyway I am actually surviving this winter okay and here's why, I am exercising outside and for some reason that is helped me tolerate the winters much better. I also layer lots too.

Good Luck, We're in February, the days are getting longer and hopefully spring will come early!

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote