Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-15-2004, 07:01 PM   #31  
Meg

Wah? I thought poutine was like the highest fat thing on earth ...

Or are you Canadians laughing at us Yanks???
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #32  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Well, there might be a redeeming onion or potato thrown in with the ground pork....of course, it is all in a pie crust.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:46 PM   #33  
Mel

Here's Ilene's Tourtiere recipe that she gave me last year. It got rave reviews from my resident Canucks! But it's not low fat

Quote:
Reveillon Tourtière

1T vegetable oil
2 lb ground pork (I’ve used 3 lb+ and the recipe is fine, I also use a mixture of meats this week I used 1lb of each pork, veal, and beef, I’ve even used turkey mixed with pork and it was fine...)
1.5 cup or can of chicken stock
2 onions – options
1 cup celery – optional
garlic – optional
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon, pepper and savory
¼ tsp ground clove
1 cup bread crumbs
½ fresh parsley – optional

Cook meat and add ingredients up to ground cloves and simmer till liquid is reduced to 2T liquid.
Stir in breadcrumbs and parsley.

Bake in a pie shell, I use about 1 lb of meat / pie. Bake at 400F for first 10 minutes then reduce heat to 325F for 15 minutes.
If you want a good laugh, try to find a lowfat, low sugar recipe for Nanaimo Bars
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:25 AM   #34  
Running Babe

MMMMMmmmmmmm poutine and tortiere (my BF's family are French Canadian and love making this).... yummy... I had my last poutine when I joined WW in 2000..... Still can't justify ever having one.

CheerS!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:48 PM   #35  
Ilene the Bean

Poutine -- I've had it once, it's good, but the guilt it gives me is not worth the headache...

My mother used to make a mashed potato pie to go with the tourtiere, yep mashed potatoes in a pie shell... All your food groups in 2 pieces of pie!!! Oh, and let's have a piece of apple pie too, then it's really a full meal deal!

OMG, I better be leaving now...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:53 PM   #36  
Meg

You're onto something here, chickie! Let's see - you've got your meat pie for protein, your mashed potato pie for carbs, apple pie for fruit, how about pumpkin pie for a veggie? With whipped cream for those important dairy servings? Or ... maybe just cream pie??

The Pie Diet! We'll sell a million books! (too bad no one will lose any weight though)
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #37  
Ilene the Bean

Meg I was thinking that the onions in the tourtiere were the vegetables ...

Yes, great idea we'll go on the road ...
Old 12-16-2004, 10:53 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
You're onto something here, chickie! Let's see - you've got your meat pie for protein, your mashed potato pie for carbs, apple pie for fruit, how about pumpkin pie for a veggie? With whipped cream for those important dairy servings? Or ... maybe just cream pie??

The Pie Diet! We'll sell a million books! (too bad no one will lose any weight though)

You can call it "The Piet". Perhaps we can discuss that book right after Thin for Life to really test those concepts.

Jan
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #39  
Ilene the Bean

I love it Jan!! "THE PIET" we'll ALL go on the road!! Do the Oprah and all the talk shows!