Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-06-2004, 05:47 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers - December 6 - 12

Good morning, gang! How's everyone doing with their holiday lists? I made considerable progress this weekend with wrapping and baking. Maybe more importantly, I had a great eating day yesterday after a not-so-good one the day before. On Saturday I was tired, just dragging around, and in one of those 'I do NOT want to be on a diet' moods, so I ate a few off-plan things - one of which was sushi, which blew me up like a balloon from the sodium! I got some sleep that night, felt better, and everything was back to normal yesterday. A few gallons of water should take care of the bloat!

A special hello and welcome to anyone who's new to Maintainers. Please don't be shy about posting just to say hi and to talk about anything going on in your life. One of the fun things about this group is getting to know each other - and life isn't ALL about diets and exercise!

We're all anxiously waiting for Anne's race day report!

Did you all read the announcement (at the top of the forum) about the Thin For Life book discussion that we're starting in January? It will be right here in Maintainers and will discuss the revised edition of TFL - if you need a copy, Suzanne put a link in the announcement to the book at Amazon.com. If this works out, I'd love to continue on to discuss other books, especially ones focusing on long-term maintenance (though I still think that we here may be writing the book on that! )

If you have a minute, say hi and let us know how you're doing!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:33 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

You are actually looking forward to my race day report?? Sometimes I'm afraid I bore everyone with it!

Well, the Tucson Half Marathon was just a great experience this year. We dodged a bullet with the weather--we had significant rain both the night before and the night after, but it was COLD standing around in running clothing for 1.5 hr waiting for the race to start, snow visible rather low on the mountains. My longest run in a while was 7.5 mi and that was last Tuesday, so I was nervous about making the whole 13.1 mi distance. But it was a good run! I ran the whole distance, except for a short walk at a couple aid stations to drink some water without spilling it all over myself. I took 7 minutes off my time from last year--quite happy with the result! It's a downhill course, so I'm a bit sore today, but nothing terrible.

The really great news from the full marathon race is that DH qualified for the Boston Marathon. He has been working so hard for this, and I am so proud of him!! I think we are actually going to go-he's originally from Boston & his family still lives there, so this is doubly special for him!!

I had to work both Friday (was supposed to be off) and Saturday morning this weekend, so I crammed in all the chores on Saturday afternoon--laundry, bill paying, grocery shopping, etc etc. It was a hectic, stressful couple of days, but I survived and stuck to my weight maintenance plans. Yesterday, I just kind of vegged after the race, watched some TV, finished re-reading 'The 9 Truths about Weight Loss'. I'd forgotten there is a long chapter on maintenance in there which is quite good. Started re-reading 'Strong Women Stay Slim'. Last night we went out for a very nice dinner at a Mexican place, where I had a chicken, seafood, vegetable and rice dish that was just excellent. It seemed pretty low in fat, and I ate half of it--the rest is lunch today!

Up this week: a rather hectic day at work today, followed by business travel Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm hoping to take Friday off this week with some comp time from last week. Almost done with all my Christmas shopping, but still have a few things to pick up. I'm going to attempt to keep sticking to the plan I put together for myself last week--especially NO WORK food! Could be challenging with the travel, but again, if I keep the right mind-set, it should be doable.

Meg, my current list is almost done! But I have to make a new one-we're hosting a party for my triathlon training group at my house on Sunday, and I have a hundred things to do. Can I put 'make new list' on my current list? I also get to start a new grocery list, since we ran out of ketchup and I'll never remember to buy that if I don't write it down!
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:42 AM   #3  
Mel

Congratulations to you and DH on a great race, Anne. Boston should be a wonderful experience. One of the other trainers at my gym just qualified 2 weeks ago at a race in Richmond, Va, and she's pretty excited. I never managed those kinds of times

I dodged the sushi bullet last night I loooove sushi, and my mother and step-father (who finally left for home in Colorado at 4 am this morning!) offered to take me out last night, but I was just too tired to go, and too afraid of the 2 days of puffed finger syndrome. So we had a great meal of left over salmon, avacados, and mounds of salad and broccoli.
I spend the day doing some very limited shopping, then watched the original "Bridget Jones" while cranking away on the stationary bike through ENTIRE movie. Seems to me there could have been several earlier places to end that movie

Eating's been good, but I've been very careful to stay out of harm's way. Next weekend, the entire family is headed to Columbus, Ohio for 3 days (ugh, 2 days of driving, 1 there) for dd's graduation. That will be the big test! I know whe's got lavish dinner plans for one night and 2 days in the car are rough.

One of my purchases yesterday was my own Christmas present- kills the surprise, but I get what I need. I bought the biggest, baddest blender I've ever seen: a 600 watt KitchenAid that weighs about 20 pounds. I burn out about 2 cheapies per year, and my trusty KitchAid mixer is 26 years old and still going strong, so I figure this is the last blender I'll ever buy. Bed Bath and Beyond keeps sending 20% off coupons and it had an additional $20 rebate, so although it's still the most expensive blender I've ever bought, it was a great deal. As I was carting it through the store, about 5 people stopped me and commented that it looked like it would make great margharitas or daquaris I'm thinking egg white oatmeal pancakes and pumpkin protein muffins

Off to the gym... it's LEG DAY!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:26 AM   #4  
Running Babe

I had a bad food week, good exercise week last week. Should have been the other way I am sure. Wanna hear irony, I got anti-blister socks and got the biggest blister ever on my toe. I discovered what the problem was, all those years of obesity have left me with very wide feet and my feet were too wide for the sock... so don't tell anyone at the running room, but until next paycheque I'll be using my cotton socks. shhhhhhhhh...

As for the bad food, I know what was causing it... am working on that... ah well I'm not perfect and that's okay.

Anyway I bought tons of tea and warm drinks since I find what I yearn for when it's cold is something warm... so tea should help me... My goals? Be OP throughout the rest of December (including planned treats).

I think I'll stay away from baking this year. Maybe just a bit for Christmas day, but that's it that's all....

Anne: Wow qualified for Boston... I think I could qualify for Boston..... when I am 80!! Wow that is unbelievable, good for him! I have runner friends who are great runners who haven't qualified so wow again Good for you on the better time in the half. I am aiming for a half around my 28th birthday (next October) and a Marathon in May 2006. I am just buielding my base right now and am doing a 10K clinic right now and will retake that through the winter (my BF will join me). I just had fun this weekend since we had snow so it was fun doing lots of balancing and what not, but the cool wind felt good to us.

Mel: those mixers are just awesome(I am jealous)! Don't worry imy friend commented about all the goodies I could make with my blender and lately I have just been using it for protien shakes...

Meg: I am bloated after my not so good week... lots of water and tea and yummy OP stuff for me for the rest of the week.

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:33 AM   #5  

Good Morning & thanks for making me feel welcome! :-) I'm still figuring out this maintenance thing and trying to ignore the high of losing "just another pound." I was in serious losing mode for over a year and it's a struggle to settle in and realize that there may be some bumps up & down as I perfect my plan for the rest of my life.

Half marathons and Boston -- wow! I'm hoping to do a 5K in 2005. I'm not a fast runner, by any means, but I can usually maintain a steady jog on the treadmill. I've started to get side cramps lately, though. Anyone experience this? I have to break back to about 4.5 mph and walk through it. Usually I can go back to jogging before my cardio session is up, but it's still annoying. I don't experience it on the elliptical or the bike.

The one thing I found helped me on a long weekend away from home was that I didn't have access to food other than at those meals at restaurants. I tried to keep breakfast and 1 meal (usually lunch) light and then didn't worry about dinner so much. It's hard to balance when you don't have control though. Good luck!

I'm going to have to see if my library has that book or else look for a copy elsewhere. Now if someone would have just written and given me a book titled "how not to get fat in the first place" the last 15 years might have been simpler! :-)

Light snow/rain here overnight. The kids are anxious for snow so they can get out sledding. DS wants to learn to downhill ski this year. DD just wants to play in it. I don't mind the snow as long as it doesn't make driving a pain. The past few years we've had a little snow before Christmas and when we finally get enough for outdoor sports, the temps drop to obscene lows.

Another maintainer question... is anyone cold? I mean really, super cold? There have been days lately where I have several layers on, am wrapped in a wool blanket and still have blue hands and goose bumps. I'm sure my fat was insulating, but I've seen perpetually skinny people who aren't cold all the time.

Thanks again for welcoming me in.
Brenda
mom2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:39 AM   #6  
Running Babe

Brenda: constantly... so cold it hurts and I am in pain sometimes due to it... Unless I am running outside, I am usually really cold, with really cold fingers and everything... Slippers are good... I have heard that formerlly obese people who're now thin feel the cold more than other thin people.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 12-06-2004, 11:42 AM   #7  
I heard a bird...

Woo Hoo!! to Anne’s DH for qualifying for Boston! That’s really cool, Anne. Qualifying for Boston is a really tough honor to earn.

Since I haven’t posted for a while to the weekly thread, I hope no one minds an older piece of news/fun I had.

Although we may not be terribly competitive, apparently my little sister and I look like serious runners. She came up the Sunday before Thanksgiving and we headed off to run a local “turkey trot” 4K. We had pre-registered so we presented ourselves at the pre-registered packet pickup table and gave our names. After several moments of digging around in a couple of boxes of packets, the lady at the table turned around and said, “You pre-registered for the 8K?” We both smiled and said, “No, ma’am, we’re registered for the 4K.” I told my sister later, after the hilly course whipped us good (we managed 9 minute miles for the first two miles and a 12 minute mile for the last half-mile) and we sat panting in my car, “Well, at least we look like serious runners according to the lady at the pre-registration table!”

A good week last week for both exercise and food. I managed to get in all my scheduled workouts and had flexpoints left over at the end of the week. I even did okay this weekend. I got all of my water and veggies in this weekend which is always my biggest challenge. And I still have a few flexpoints, a good trick considering we met friends from out of town for dinner Saturday. Fortunately, we ended up at a different place than I thought we would and it was a little less costly in terms of points and lack of veggies.

And the other good thing I did this weekend. I managed to find a copy of Thin for Life (I was careful to get the revised edition) at a local bookstore and I snatched it right up. I’ve already read through about 5 chapters but I plan to re-read for the book discussion in January. I am looking forward to that!

Brenda, about that sidestitch – make sure you are very well hydrated before climbing on the treadmill. Quite often, I get a sidestitch if I am not well hydrated when I go running. Try to get your water throughout the day (if you are an afternoon/evening exerciser). But don’t try to gulp down a bunch of water just before you get on the treadmill. That will give you a sidestitch! Sometimes, I get sidestitches just because my tummy isn’t quite right (usually an effect of PMS for me). And yes, the best thing to do is just walk them out.

About being cold, yes, I too have experienced that. To second what Ali said, I’ve heard quite a few formerly overweight people mention being terribly cold after getting rid of some of the weight. I hit goal in mid-December last year, just in time to experience some of our coldest weather here in the Deep South. I spend a lot of time outside with my hobby of birdwatching. Since winter is “duck time” or “sparrow time” down here, I was spending time in January standing beside large bodies of water or in open fields in what seemed to be a perpetually stiff cold wind. After nearly freezing my blood a few times dressing as I had always dressed for the cold, I learned to “overdress” for the cold. This year I am armed with 650-fill down coat for winter birdwatching! Re-adding a little healthy fat to my diet seems to have helped some with that. I eat a serving of nuts (1/4 cup) 3-4 times a week.
catharus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:11 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

About being cold: I used to be cold, before menopause ... Now it's so rare that I'm cold it's ridiculous but when I am I will drink hot water with a slice of lemon and teas ...

Wow Anne! Contrats on your half and to your DH for qualifying for the Boston. What does one have to do to qualify for a Boston Marathon or a whatever marathon for that matter?? I have no clue ...

This morning I had a good leg workout so no jogging today. The last couple of times on the treadmill I've been running 11:30min. mile, I'm getting up there slow but sure... I'm proud of that...

WEll I have to get going, it's meatball makin' time... TTFN...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #9  
Mel

I was FREEZING the first winter after I'd lost weight. It gradually got better as I adjusted. I've just lost another 6 pounds from where I've been maintaining for the last 3 or so years and am cold again. I'm not sure how long it takes, but I think your internal thermostat does eventually catch up. Until then, herbal tea can be your best friend. That and a good down vest and sheepskin slippers.

I guess I really need to go find a copy of TFL and start reading or I'm going to be the only one left out Problem is, Meg got me hooked on Ruth Rendell mysteries and she's a very prolific writer and the library has them all.

Boy are my legs going to be sore tomorrow! Great workout this morning
FEED ME!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:56 PM   #10  
Running Babe

Ilene: I don't think any marathon in Canada has a qualifying time yet (though some have time limits, the National Capital Marathon is like 7 hours, while the not so popular Ottawa Marathon in 5 hours I think). Boston since it's the oldest one in North America with tons of prestige only has a certain amount of spots available so they allot them based on past time (within 2 years before the race I think)... For my age the qualifying cut-off is something like 3 hours and 40 minutes... Not something I am likely to do. Other marathons offer lotteries to enter like the New York Marathon (though there are back door ways to get in through charities and running organizations)....

I have to get my hands on the revised TFL... I can't find my original copy.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 12-06-2004, 01:08 PM   #11  

Hi,

My week was not as great as yours, my friends, but I still achieved something. First, I kep on track with my food. Second, even though I did not do my usual treadmill, I did a lot of walking the dog in the park - it is not cardio, but still I moved. Right now we are doing a lot with our new puppy as he is quite big but totally untrained for walks, he wants to run away all the time, so we are working on building the trust.

Otherwise, I am in for gym today, as well as my yoga class. My weight stays the same, which does not surprize me, but well, I don't sweet too much recently because of that.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:41 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Ali -- thanks for that info, I didn't realise the criterias at all... I'm faaaar from there anyways....I was talking to an older woman at the gym today, she must be in her mid60s she did her first 5k this weekend in Ottawa along with her daughter who ran with her but who now runs marathons. This girl taught my DS in grade 8 and she was a quite a bit overweight, you should see her now, she's downright skinny, I barely recognized her... She lost all her weight when she started running. Her mom and I are trying to convince her to do more weights, but she's worried she will 'bulk up' ...

Sash -- Good for you for keeping your food in check even when you didn't workout out as much as you would've liked to, those weeks foodwise for me are the most difficult...

After 2 hours belly up to the stove and smelling like a cheap diner the meatballs are freakin' DONE!!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:39 PM   #13  

So, Ilene, what time should I be there with my fork? Um...mmmm... meatballs sound really good right about now!

This day has positively zipped by but it can't end without a rousing atta girl for Anne and her DH. What a great day for both of you. And Sashenka, you stuck to your (food) guns, and the scale held steady -- nice going after a weekend in the midst of holiday land. Meg, the image of pound after pound of Christmas cookies, all mumified in masking tape,made me laugh every time I thought of it. But I may have to take a page from your play book before all is said and done; DH really wants us to make gingerbread as gifts, and I adore gingerbread. Don't know if I can have it in the house or not. Perhaps if it's all wrapped up, it and I can co-exist.

Mel, your salmon dinner sounds de-lish. In fact, that's what DH and I had last night, along with a whole pan of roasted veggies. Good grief, but it was good! And Brenda, you asked if anyone else was cold? I'm always freezing. Long before anyone else even has so much as a sweater out around here, I'm hauling out my silk underwear. Turtlenecks, thy name is Robin.

Did anyone see the CNN program, entitled "Fat Chance", on Saturday night? It was quite good, although a tad negative for my taste. Among others, they interviewed the man who runs the National Registry that some of you are part of. He was very realistic. I liked that they focused on lifestyle changes and the need for exercise, but after it was over I thought that they really hammered the message of how hard it is to lose weight, and how few do so successfully. However, DH and I were out and about on Sunday and I couldn't help but see what other people were buying at the market and consuming in restaurants. Even though I live in one of the fatest states in the union (according to most stats), if this is any indication of what the majority of people do, then it's no wonder that the experts say it's hard to keep the weight off.

I just bought a new book: "Ultimate Fitness: the Quest for Truth About Exercise and health." It's by a NY Times reporter, Gina Kolata, and was published in 2003. I"m looking forward to it. And speaking of books, Meg, can we put the "favorite books" thread in a sticky? There's such a welter of books out there that I'd love to see some of our own recommendations. Anne, I noticed that you just re-read "Nine Truths" -- I'm thinking of ordering it. Has anyone read "The Zen of Eating?"

Oh, and now that I'm out of time, I'm happy to report that my board meeting last week was a TOTAL SUCCESS!!! I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.

Until then, cheers,

Last edited by Airegrrrl; 12-06-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Anne and dh: Congratulations on the race and the Boston qualifying!

About being cold: I've always been way too hot--wearing a tshirt when other people are pulling on sweaters. But so far this fall/winter I've noticed that I'm pretty much "normal"--I feel hot/cold when other people do, which is a switch for me. I've had to pull out some cardigans to wear around the house.

Reading about everyone's races, I think I'm going to sign up for a local resolution run on Jan.1. I could use the extra motivation of a goal to get me up and out of the house in the morning when it's really cold. I want to run a 1/2 marathon next May and I need to keep running during the coldest months if I'm going to be ready for it.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:38 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Congratulations Anne on your race, and also to your DH for qualifying for Boston. I'm from the Boston area too, and we always got off school on marathon day! Of course, we were really off because it's a Massachusetts holiday, but we liked to tell everyone it was for the marathon.

I am getting help from all of you. I'll write in the introduction too, but in short, here's my story. I was a thin kid, an average college student/young adult, and hit my late 30's and started gaining. After several go-rounds at WW, I reached my highest weight in late 1998 (it was pictures from a family reunion and cruise that brought it home to me!) I joined WW in Jan 99 at 231, and I know that was down some from my highest. I'd lost 67 lbs by summer of 2000, and was running several times a week. Did several 5K races, not great times, but finished. Maintained this weight until the fall of 2001 when a couple of things happened: I got PF in my left foot, and I changed my very active, but going nowhere, job for a more sedentary higher level one. Between those 2 things, my exercise level plummeted, and my eating gradually got worse. I managed to regain 50 lbs back before I screamed STOP. THen I maintained there for over a year before I got back to the losing attitude, which is where I am now. I just hate seeing all those smaller sized clothes sitting in my closet. But thanks for welcoming everyone here, not just those at goal. I WILL be there some day, hopefully sooner than later.

And cold - I am always cold, even though I've been in that menopause place for awhile, and at 760-in-January, am nearly through the other side. It was much worse at the lower weight, but even now I'm always chilly.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote