Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-08-2004, 04:30 PM   #1  
Recovering chocoholic

Default Clothes maketh the woman??

I've recently dropped quite a bit of weight and gone from a UK size 14 to a size 6/8.
Now in some ways I feel absolutely great about the weight loss and feel far healthier and more attractive but the big downside is my clothes.
I'm a student and cant afford to buy an entire new wardrobe so I'm gradually building up a new wardrobe by sales shopping etc. But in the meantime I am just finding that nothing I own fits me so I was wondering if anyone had any tips to look a bit better. EG I have started (especially handy in winter) wearing pretty scarves etc, because they draw people attention away from the fact that my jumpers are miles too big, any suggestions as to cheap basics I can buy which will make me look better?
Another downside is my bra size I've gone from a D cup to an A cup. Can anyone recommend a good padded bra or some other method of looking a bit fuller in the boob area?
I asked a salesperson recently and she recommended a liquid bra that looked absolutely unrealistic. I am more of a subtle kind of gal.
If I wear clothes that fit me properley I literally have about 3 outfits that fit now and thats it, people say how good I look. But most of the time I feel such a mess that its taken the joy out of my weight loss.
viviki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #2  
i luv my dog!

Have you tried the charity shops and boot sales? I work in a consignment store and you wouldn't believe the things people get rid of. Some of the clothes still have tags on them, or are hardly-worn designer labels, etc. You can find some great stuff for a real bargain. good luck.
a broad abroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:11 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Well...the main problem with making suggestions on bras and all that is that I'm in the US and you're in the UK - sizes and manufacturers and stuff is WAY different. No way could I wear a Liquid Bra! I demand stuff that can be tossed in the washer (we have a 'hand wash' cycle on ours). My favorite regular bras are from the Gap -their Ultimate Bra, I think it's called.

Accessorizing would probably be a great help - also I don't know if you have Old Navy in the UK? When I was in London, Marks & Spencer seemed to have some really good deals. And of course, there's always eBay...and Christmas is just around the corner; maybe you could suggest that folks give you gift certificates or clothes?

For just basic school stuff...since I'm 42 years old, I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of the younger set. But maybe get some stretchy leggings or yoga pants...a big sweater or two (that are MEANT to be big), stretchy skirts, etc. It's a shame y'all don't have Old Navy there in the UK - they have great stuff and it's muy cheapo!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:23 PM   #4  

H&M? (my addiction when I was in the UK)

Do you know someone who sews or could you pay for some alterations to be done? That way you could update a lot of your clothes for a fraction of the cost of new. With most things, you can take them in a fair bit and it will look ok (certainly better than falling off you, anyway)

Ditto on the asking for new clothes for Xmas idea, too.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Yep, ask for new clothes for Christmas. And check out thrift stores. When you're out shopping, watch for clearance sales. I got a pair of dress pants and a pair of levis for $5cdn each at different stores, and 2 long sleeved tshirts for $6 each just by keeping my eye out for a good deal. I don't have a whole lot of different clothes that fit though, and nothing remotely dressy, so I'm asking for clothes for Christmas and plan to check out some thrift stores if I every get a morning or afternoon away from my kids.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:22 PM   #6  

I will third the thrift store idea. I was just shopping in one this morning. Look in the phone book for all of them in your whole area, then go check each one out. They are not all the same. Some have better quality items, and some have lower prices. Mine has both. The one I shop at is just out of town and doesnt get the traffic of the ones downtown, and their prices are much lower. They also get lots and lots of stuff from the local upscale neighborhoods. They also have a 5 cent rack with lots and lots of good clearance things on it. Today I bought 3 items for a total of under $5, US. And they are very nice.

Garage/tag/yard sales also are good places to buy clothes here in the US. Good things for low prices. If you dont mind used clothes. All you have to do is run them thru the laundry. And if your weight is not stable yet, it does not hurt as much to discard them when you pass into the next size.

Jan
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:32 PM   #7  

Loosing weight can definitely strain the pocket book. I had to quickly create a new wardrobe for myself several months ago when I started my new job. I allowed myself to only buy things that I could mix and match. I'm a big fan of cardigans paired up with coordinating tank tops. I also bought a lot of black and white clothes and then accented them with various colorful accessories.
Deelighted4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:48 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

i bought the BEST pair of jeans at the salvation army - 10 bucks!!!!! you need oodles of time and patience to go through the racks, though.

my advice: as everyone has said, go for thrift stores, tag sales, the second hand clothes route for EVERYTHING except foundations. invest your hard-earned pounds in a few good bras. they'll make all the difference in how things fit.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:54 PM   #9  

As Jiffy said: << i bought the BEST pair of jeans at the salvation army - 10 bucks!!!!! you need oodles of time and patience to go through the racks, though.>>

Yes, it does take more time to shop in thrift stores but its rewarding when you find something really cool. I would also suggest you wear something rather form-fitting like a smallish t-shirt and snug fitting shorts or pants so you can try on clothes over what you are wearing. No fitting rooms in thrift stores, but find a mirror near the back, and try the clothes on over your own. Not perfect, but you can get a good enough idea of how things fit. Sometimes.

Thrift Store Addict, Jan
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:58 PM   #10  

I bought all my new jeans on Ebay. New with tags levis $.99 plus $5 shipping.
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:34 AM   #11  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviki
But most of the time I feel such a mess that its taken the joy out of my weight loss.
Oh, Viv! Don't be down-hearted. You are going to look like a million dollars in a few weeks time. You've done so well on the weightloss! Very, very well done! Here's my two penn'orth (I'm experienced in living and managing on the edge ...)

Scarves are a good device - I use them to draw attention away from my thighs and bottom. Also readily available in charity shops.

Bras - bigger M&S have pretty good underwear depts and *very* knowledgeable fitters. They've seen it all before. Heard it too. Take the plunge, tell the nice lady what you want, get measured and get fitted. And not too expensive. Try to go when it's not too busy.

Other clothes - I agree, charity shops, most definitely. Particularly in up-market areas. Or areas without too many students. It might even be worth investing in a trip to a student-free leafy suburb or town. You're a subtle kind of gal so I don't need to recommend you avoid discount shops (terrible colours, bad material, poorly made-up).

And more other - a few years ago I spent some time in the fabrics dept of Sheffield's John Lewis (can't remember the name of it) and got some very classy stuff for a summer dress. You could poke about and see if there's anything you like.

Perhaps asking for clothes for Xmas is a bit risky. Depends on the present-givers, I suppose. Vouchers?

Good luck. Put in some time, pulling it all together, just like you did losing weight. You'll look a million dollars in a few weeks time!

Last edited by silverbirch; 11-09-2004 at 05:55 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:23 AM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Yes, it does take more time to shop in thrift stores but its rewarding when you find something really cool.
There's also the idea that as long as you're spending time shopping in the thrift store, you're not spending that time eating.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:24 AM   #13  

Heya

I reckon you need to go to Primark, it's super cheap! It's really good for smaller bras too. I'm an A/B cup (getting more of an A cup as my diet goes on) and I find moulded bras are fine, they make you look bigger without weighing you down. Primark do really nice T shirt bras.

My mum took a lot of my skirts in for me which is something you could maybe do if you were at all practical!

Did you get into that dress for the wedding btw?

Dill
dilleight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:58 AM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherz
I bought all my new jeans on Ebay. New with tags levis $.99 plus $5 shipping.
Me too! Got some really REALLY cute Earl Jeans which retail at $140 for $17.50 + shipping...Lucky Brand Sweet N Low for $12.00. Both new with tags.

I've bought clothes and shoes often on eBay. If they don't fit or I just don't like 'em - I relist them.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:59 PM   #15  

I have one other suggestion: buy one pair of really good-looking black trousers. You can wear them over and over and over again, with a succession of tops, sweaters, shirts and accessories. A plain white T shirt looks wonderful with black pants, but then, I must admit that in my opinion, everything looks wonderful with black pants. Good luck!
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote