Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-14-2004, 03:42 PM   #1  

Default Talking about weight with others...

Hi everyone and happy Thursday!

Something big happened today. My sister and I talked about weight loss!

We talk on the phone several times a week and we're very close. When I was overweight, she was a size 10 or 12 and we talked about weight ALL the time. When I was losing my weight, each time we talked, she asked very detailed questions about my efforts and was very supportive. However, when I got down to her weight and then lower, we stopped talking about it altogether. For the last two years of my maintenance (during which she has actually gained a lot of weight), we never talk about diet or exercise or any kind of weight management issues. If I tried to bring it up, she changed the subject lickety split!

Things have changed because she's gone back to Weight Watchers and is now focusing on her own weight loss. It has hurt my feelings in the past that she stopped taking an interest in my struggle, but I'm not going to let that get in the way. It felt really good to talk to her about healthy eating and whatnot. It was very freeing!

Another really cool thing is that she's going to approach our Hawaii vacation with moderation in mind. My fear was that she was going to do what she's done in the past...pressure me to overindulge (she can be a VERY persuasive big sister!!). It will help SOOOO much that we're going to be on the same page! I want to enjoy myself, but I don't want my vacation to be all about overstuffing myself and feeling uncomfortably full (and sick and bloated, etc.). I'm not very good at the whole moderation thing so it will help to have the support of my sister and hubby.

Hope you're all having a good day! Karyn Lee
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:07 PM   #2  

Cool, Karyn! Sixteen years ago, I moved to a different state from where my sisters live. For a few years, we kind of lost touch with each other. Then, we both started Weight Watchers, and all of the sudden, we were on the phone a few times a week discussing our diets! Since then, even though we both gained back all that weight we lost on WW (I finally lost it all w/out any formal program!), we still talk on phone nearly every day, and lots of time we still discuss heath and dieting. So, I guess you could say that a dieting brought us together—LOL!!
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:11 AM   #3  

Vmelo, I love that! Not only do you have your relationship with your sister back, but you gained a great support partner. Congrats on your weight loss!!

Karyn Lee
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:49 PM   #4  
Meg

That's wonderful that you'll have the support of your sister on your trip. It's makes it so much easier when we don't feel like we're fighting to do what we need to do. Have a wonderful trip! -- I've always wanted to go to Hawaii but haven't made it there yet. Some day!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:00 PM   #5  

Thanks, Karyn Lee. Enjoy Hawaii!
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:04 AM   #6  
Samantha

That's awesome! You have to understand what your sister was going through - she was probably disapointed in herself for gaining so much weight back, and didn't want to talk about it because it made her feel bad. I know how that is. I used to HATE to talk about weight, or anything even similair to the issue because it made me think about the problems that I was having.

One thing that I have noticed about coming to 3FC, before, saying my weight was like cussing!!! I wouldn't say it to save my life. Now, I have to be careful not to blab it out to everyone!! It's not a bad word to me, anymore, but something that I am working at. I try to only tell people how much I have lost, and not how much I weigh. It's a great feeling!
Samantha2002 is offline   Reply With Quote