Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-03-2004, 09:42 AM   #16  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

What is it with cats and scales. Mine tries to weigh herself everytime I'm in the kitchen. She just sits there and watches me...hoping I'm opening a can of tuna no doubt.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 01:52 PM   #17  

I think I qualify for this forum--I lost 18 pounds thru Weight Watchers and am halfway thru their 6 week maintenance phase (then I become a life member). I am trying to maintain the good habits. Eating enough vegetables each day seems to be harder now that it's fall and I'm busier w/work (teach 6th grade). I bought a bunch of fresh veggies at the store today; planning to cut them up tonight and bring in a ziploc container so I can snack on them during the day at work.

Would love advice/support as I go thru this phase--
Elana

Previous wt: 144
current: 127
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:37 PM   #18  
Meg

Default Hi Elana!

Elanajel posted some other great questions in her Introduction that I wanted to copy over here so that they don't get overlooked:

Quote:
What I need now: a good, enjoyable exercise routine, ways to not obsess about regaining, ways to continue positive self-talk and (especially) ways to avoid high-carb snacks at night. I live in New England, and it's pitch dark now by 7 p.m. Boy, do I hate northern winters!

Would welcome any/all suggestions and support--
Elana
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:19 PM   #19  
Blonde Bimbo

I posted the following to Elanajel in the other thread, regarding the exercise routine for the New England winters.

Quote:
Hi Elanajel. I'm also in New England...until November. LOL Maybe I'll get out before the snow flies, eh? I'm in Concord, NH. I usually get out for a run right after work, so I get it in before it's dark. During the winter, I'm fortunate to live in apartments which provide a clubhouse, so I could work out there. But on bad weather days, I bought aerobics and pilates videos. I stick to my same, right after work, routine, but I don't have to leave the house in the nasty stuff.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:34 PM   #20  

Soup for the soul--I made a delicious mushroom-barley-miso soup for dinner and am freezing extra in small containers so I can take it to work. It's 3 points on WW and very filling. So this is a good start to the week.

I visited a health club I am considering; it's quite plush and therefore quite expensive. The Y near me is a lot more affordable, but of course, a lot more basic. Decisions, decisions.

I was glad to hear back from people so quickly. I will try to regularly post on the board.

Hope everyone has a good week--
Elana
Old 10-06-2004, 07:31 AM   #21  

Hi everyone

Thanks for the messages, its so nice to hear that I am not the only one going through these things! Like I am not the only one whos weight goes up and down all the time for no apparent reason and that other peoples friends also worry and make comments anout their weight loss!! My work mates seem to be more obessed with what I eat and weigh than I am

Its my weekly weigh in tonight, and I am hoping to be back to 10,7, the signs so far are good My scales are saying 10,7, so heres hoping that the gym scales are the same later on today. I really want to get back to goal this week. I'm off on a hen weekend on friday till sunday to Edinbugh and although I am really looking forward to it, I am a bit worried i'll put on weight! Its not that i'll want to eat loads and loads but everyone will be trying to get me to eat loads and loads I'll be happy eating my usual amount and the odd treat (after all it is a hen weekend) but I know it will be a big issue with them, how much and what I eat!! The whole weekend will relvolve around booze and food so I am a bit worried!

After all my efforts to get to my goal weight, do I really want to move away from it again just because I wanted to fit in with everyone else?? I dont mind if I go up because i wanted to eat/drink extra and I enjoy it - thats my choice - but if I do it for a quiet life, or to just fit in, i'll feel alful afterwards!! So i've decided to be strong, and just do what I want - if I want a extra slice of pizza and more wine then I will - but if i'm just doing it to fit in with everyone else, then I wont - I need to be stronge enough to order whatever it is I fancy, whether its the salad and a water or the pizza and wine If they are real friends, they should just accept thats what I want and leave it at that - well heres hoping anyway!

So fingers crossed my weigh in will be a good one later, and that I can be strong and stick to my plan over the hen weekend

Thanks again for all the messages, hope you are all week!

Speak again soon!

Luv Tasha

X
Tasha-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:03 PM   #22  

Tasha,
Have fun. I have to go to a lot of conferences and I go with other Preschool Teachers and Site Supervisors. Preschool teachers love to eat. Food is always a huge issue. I have found ways around the calories. I always bring Snack wells and apples in my backpack. When we go for Ice Cream I get frozen yogurt. It is only 25 Cal an ounce. When I can find it I get the Carbo lite. It is only 10 Cal an ounce. This way I get a treat, and don't do as much damage. Most places will work with on your meals. Go a head and have the second slice of pizza. Just be careful what you have on it so the second slice isn't an issue. I fill up on salad. My friends and coworkers love to give me a hard time and it tends to make me feel very bad. I am just telling myself that I am the one wearing the size 6 jeans.
Have a great trip
Lynda
lyndaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:48 AM   #23  

Hi Lynda

Got back from the hen weekend late yesterday afternoon and I was feeling very very tired!!! Had a fab time, and really enjoyed it and even better I stuck to my plan! Everyone tried their hardest to feed me up on pizza and wine, but I didnt give in, in fact it made me even more determinded to have whatever I wanted - be that pizza or a salad. ;-) And the best news is, I actually managed to lose weight!!!!!!!!! How good am I? I was 10,8 when I went on friday and i'm now 10,5 Cant believe it, well chuffed!!! I'll see what my office weigh in says on wednesday to see what I am this week, and then work out my plan of action for the following week, because I dont want to keep losing and losing Anyway, feeling very smug and happy this morning, managed to have a fab weekend and lose weight

Hope you are all well!

Speak soon!

Tasha

XX
Tasha-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:58 AM   #24  

This is a great supportive forum! I thought I was doing well at maintaining an 18 lb. loss (which was what I needed to lose), but the start of a new school year has been hard. I teach 6th grade and tend to eat A LOTwhen I get home from work. This also coincides with picking up my own kids from school, getting them snacks/started on homework/dinner/all those other not-so-relaxing things. I also need to find a new gym. This week, I am using the Kathy Smith 5 Day Jump Start plan, which is also making it easier for me to stick to myWeight Watchers points target (21).

Any advice for mid-day snacks besides hummus w/raw vegetables and light Dannon yogurt? These are getting me into a rut.

Thanks for the advice--
Elana
Old 10-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #25  
Ilene the Bean

Elana - My fav is to mix 1/2c CottageCheese and 1/2c any flavoured yogurt and some strawberries... I use frozen strawberries...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:14 PM   #26  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Any advice for mid-day snacks besides hummus w/raw vegetables and light Dannon yogurt?
Nuts
Fruit
Natural peanut butter
String cheese
Roll up a piece of turkey, chicken, ham, or roast beef with a piece of cheese
Tomato juice
Smoothie (fruit, ice, milk, yogurt)
Old 10-13-2004, 05:25 AM   #27  
Meg

Let me add to those great ideas:

Homemade protein bars (Mel and I have recipes in the LWL forum)
Mel's muffins (in the LWL recipes)
Chicken or turkey and a cut-up apple
Individual containers of cottage cheese with cut-up fruit
Natural PB and SF jam rolled up in a WW tortilla or sliced meat in a rolled up tortilla
Tuna salad
Old 10-13-2004, 01:36 PM   #28  

Thank you, everyone, for all these great ideas. I am really feeling discouraged about my weight gain. I am planning to exercise today and Friday, am weighing in at WW meeting on Sun A.M. It is so frustrating--I was at goal, have fluctuated a lot since and am finding it hard to stabilize. I am using the journal and being vigilant about points. How many times a week do you think I need to exercise to stay at a stable weight? More than 3?

Advice, please!!

Elana
Old 10-14-2004, 09:26 AM   #29  
Meg

Default Exercise For Maintenance

Quote:
How many times a week do you think I need to exercise to stay at a stable weight? More than 3?
Elana, this probably isn't what any of us want to hear , but based on the maintainers here and the National Weight Control Registry (NWCR), I think that yes, you probably are going to need more than three days of exercise per week to maintain your weight loss. We had an interesting discussion here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47123 about recent government recommendations that people looking to maintain a weight loss need to exercise 60 - 90 minutes per day. The NWCR reports that maintainers average an hour of exercise per day and that seems to fit in with what our little group here does. I myself average 90 - 120 minutes of exercise per day and I'm only maintaining by the skin of my teeth, not losing.

Of course, it's all going to come down to what works for your body and you'll discover that by trial and error. But for a lot of us who are trying to maintain, it's almost impossible to cut calories back any further without being hungry all the time, so we have to turn to exercise to keep the pounds off. So if your food's under control and you're still gaining, I'd look to increasing the amount and intensity of exercise.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:18 AM   #30  

Elana, I must concur with Meg. Time and time again, I've read that one of the habits of lifelong maintainers is that they exercise about an hour a day. Believe it or not, once you get into exercise, it becomes a habit just like brushing your teeth (I cringed when I wrote that because it's such a cliche, but it's true). If I didn't exercise consistently, I just wouldn't feel right.

That said, I remember when I was a part of the Weight Watchers forum years ago, there were several lifetime members there that did NO exercise and were still managing to maintain their weight. For me, the key is calories in, calories out. So, if you're not exercising, you'd have to eat fewer calories to maintain your weight. Also, if you're not exercising, you probably will not have as much muscle, and I've read many times that the more muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest.
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote