Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Now I just have to remember what thread I was reading that I wanted those posts of funniegrrl's.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:04 PM   #47  
Ilene the Bean

Susan, you and Meg have posted at the same time and she put the link up...

Hey future Maintainers... I know you gals can do it too, before I came to this site and met the girls Mel, Karen (MrsJim) and Mel I was a definite ''yo-yo dieter'' now I know it's for life and it's a lifestyle and I persist every day, weight and measure all the time just out of habit now...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #48  
Mel

Hi Tracy, Ellen and FriendlyKat!

Ellen, your pictures really are a testament to progress! Congratulations You really do look 10 years youngs and I'm sure you feel it.

Teahoney- I have the same problem with "challenges". They always backfire on me, or I fail them.

Friendlykat- Everyone has to do it their own way. Your friend may surprise you and do great with the all or nothing approach. I failed miserably at moderation all my life, but have succeeded in completely changing my life...no baby steps. Some of us need to jump into the deep end in order to swim.

Someone on another forum posted about "liking the idea of losing weight" versus "being committed to losing weight." To me , that's the difference between motivation and persistence. Liking the idea may motivate you, but it doesn't always last very long or sustain you through the years of maintenance. We can sit around for decades waiting for motivation to hit and maybe it never will. In the meantime, we might as well make some behavior changes.

Commitment and persistence doesn't strike out of nowhere. Someone posted the anguished question on the "exercise Forum": How do you get to the Gym? My immediate mental response (which I didn't type) was "in my car." Motivation is not an issue- doing it is just a part of life. Like Friendlykat's better food choice at Panera.

Here's to choices!
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:04 PM   #49  

Height: 5'8"

Mel you're absolutely right! Motivation can come and go, but when you're truly commited to something, you'll always keep going at it no matter what!

And I'm going to be commited to losing weight!

I've started making changes already, making better choices, and sticking with my decision. I've had days when I'm super hungry. Before I'd have reached for junk. Now I make myself something healthy, even if I have to wait a little longer.

One funny thing, my husband and I decided that Sunday was going to be our "free" day, no counting points and we can eat whatever we want. Last time we went to the park and had a pic nic and we "pigged out" on grilled vegetables and lean turkey breast!!! LOL Never thought it would work that way, but we seem to be gravitating towards healthier choices anyway. I do have my slips once in a while, but I just get right back on track.

So here's to choices too!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:59 AM   #50  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Meg - thanks for the recap on the wisdom of funniegrrl... to her!

friendlykat4you - watch out...a few more posts like the one from 4/21 and you'll end up in the 3FC Hall of Fame yourself.

I spent too long reading...now I'm too pooped to post...
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #51  

Height: 5'8"

chick_in_the_hat! That's so nice of you. I hope one day I can end up in the 3FC hall of fame.

But my next goal is to fit in Meg's other pant leg!!!

You're doing awesome too, great job!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:32 PM   #52  
Meg

I'm saving the place for you, kiddo!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:08 PM   #53  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone. My name is Lily and I started my weight loss journey 10 1/2 months ago at my physicians rude insistence. I thought, "I'll show him". The funny thing is, along the way, I've cared less what he thought and more about how I'm doing this for myself now. I truly want to be healthy, which was his point, but I am enjoying the almost daily compliments, the new clothes, how good I look and feel. The decrease in medications is nice and the money saved is nice too.But, the real reward is "I like myself" so much better. I'm happier , friendlier and not so darn tired. When I first started lurking on the maintainers forum it scared me to death. I thought that I was on a diet and that I didn't intend to do it for life. I no longer think in these terms. Nothing could depress me more than to gain back this weight. I want to be a maintainer no matter what it takes. I'm used to exercise now and can continue it, I'm used to controlling my food intake and I continue it. I will do it. Just wanted you all to know how you've inspired me and made me see things in a different light. (BTW, I lost 90 lbs. in 1993 on Phen-Fen and gradually put it all back on). (when I met my goal, I stupidly just gave up exercising and eating right). I want things to be different this time and am very proud that I haven't used any diet pills this time. You all will probably see me on here a lot because I need the support and am trying to learn from the rest of you just how to maintain. Thanks so much, everyone.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:21 AM   #54  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

What a great thread! As a future Maintainer, I would like to sit with the "cool kids", too. That'd be a first!

Could this be a sticky?
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote