Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 09:57 PM   #1  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default 5K Race Results...and the Fan Club

I ran the 5K last Saturday and finished without falling down. At the final turn near the finish line, a kid running next to me said "I can beat you to the finish line." I said, "I'll bet you can." And then I stretched out my legs and left him in the dust, so to speak. The kid was four years old. Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

OPWR Fan Club
Now I'm thinking that 4 year old was actually just encouraging me.

Tuesday morning when we were running, a kid, about 9, rode by on his bicycle...and said "Keep on jogging." I yelled, "Thanks!"

And then this morning as we rounded the corner to a side street, three kids on bikes rode by and yelled, "Run, Forest, Run!" And I yelled back, "Thanks Guys!"

I figure it's the Fan Club for Old People Who Run. They seem to be growing in numbers.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:41 AM   #2  

Awesome, Tig! Are you hooked now? ;-)
Old 01-23-2004, 08:23 PM   #3  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default Hooked?

I'm registered for a 5K on January 31 and another one on February 14.

ISO (I learned that reading the classified ads) a 5K on February 28...
Old 01-23-2004, 08:26 PM   #4  
Meg

Congratulations, Tig, and keep on running!

Are you still running, Colleen?
Old 01-24-2004, 06:02 PM   #5  

Hi Meg - technically, yes. I lack the balance necessary to run on a treadmill, so have to gear myself up to run in the cold, which only happens about once a week! I'm set to get back into it fullforce int eh spring when it warms up a bit. Our local running club begins it's 2004 racing season in March, so there will be plenty of 5-10k's to run from about March - November.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:20 PM   #6  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default 5K Results - January 31 APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE

To any 40 year old Curves members...

The 5K race was Run for the Light and was sponsored by the Candlelighters - a group that supports a children's oncology unit at the local hospital.

There was a four year old boy there...riding a bike in the race. I kept trying to get passed him but he kept weaving in my path. Evidently it was very entertaining to those behind me because there was some pretty raucous laughter back there. Be sure to let the Children's Protective Services know that I did NOT push him down. I did run off road onto lawns to get around him. Whew.

I ran a bit, then walked to recover, then ran some more...

There were two 40 year old Curves ladies running/walking at about my pace, ahead of me mostly. Occasionally behind me. I know they were actual Curves ladies because their new t-shirts said so: CURVES.

When I finally rounded the street towards the Finish Line, my dearest DH yelled GO! I had been walking so I started running...and the Curves ladies were in front of me.

Then - only because he knows how competitive I am - dearest DH yelled "BEAT THE CURVES!" Well. I heard him and so did they. I stretched my legs and took off. And THEY took off! I passed them. I beat them to the Finish Line. They were hot on my heels but I beat 'em.

Apologies to any 40 year old Curves Ladies who are offended by a 58 year old woman with neuropathy beating their socks off. Wait. Not a very good apology. I'll have to work on that. Sorry. Was this an offensive post? Should I edit?
Old 02-02-2004, 10:56 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

offensive??? naaahhh. proud??? YEP!!!! and you should be!!!!!
Old 02-03-2004, 08:00 PM   #8  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Thanks, Jiff! I really am excited.

Next race: Valentine's Day.
Closed Thread