Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 11:39 AM   #1  

Default Question on excess skin

Meg's post on the mirror prompted me to do some thinking. I went from a size 24/26 to a slightly snug 8. I've lost around 105 pounds (some days a couple more, some days a couple less). I have a LOT of excess skin, especially in my abdomen (and I had twins - 7 pounds each - 1 year ago, so I am sure that contributes to the skin as well).

First question - how much do you think this skin weighs? I also have some on my upper arms. Sometimes I wonder what I would weigh if I were to get rid of the skin. I feel like I keep aiming for this goal to lose another 10 pounds, and it is completely unattainable. I guess I am wondering IF the skin were gone, maybe I would already BE at my healthy weight. Does that make sense?

I think I've read that a few of you had surgery. That must feel so awesome afterwards to be rid of the 'shell' or the constant reminder of what you used to be. I don't have the money to do so, nor the guts (no pun intended - ha ha!). I can dream though ...

I've talked to people who say that if you lose weight slowly and the right way, the skin will shrink back. Ummmm - don't think they've ever seen MY stomach! And I think I have lost weight a healthy way - healthy food and exercise. The skin hasn't tightened at all for me.

Kelly
Old 01-20-2004, 11:55 AM   #2  
Meg

Kelly -- unfortunately I don't have the time to answer your questions right now, but I did want to tell you that you've come to the right place! Many (most?) of us have experience with excess skin and I'm sure that you'll get some good responses. I promise I'll answer in depth later tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, you might want to read these threads: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31893 and http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17407 and here's one where I talk about my first surgery: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...highlight=skin

I'll be back and I'll bet you'll be hearing from Karen and Mel and others.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:58 PM   #3  
Meg

Default Back Again!

Back again, Kelly and congratulations on the weight loss!

We “losers” get rid of lots of fat but sometimes end up with lots of excess skin — and no one seems to talk about it very much. Well, we talk about skin issues here at Maintainers because it’s a fact of weight loss for many of us. As a matter of fact, the whole topic of excess skin has come up so frequently here at 3FC (as well as on other Internet discussion boards) that we’re going to put together a “sticky” of information at the top of this forum about what happens to your skin when you lose weight. In it, we’ll try to pull together our own personal experiences, discussions here at 3FC, links to web sites, recommended reading, and medical information.

That’s going to take a few days to get organized; in the meantime, let me take a stab at your questions. How much does skin weigh? I asked my plastic surgeon and he said that “dry skin” (skin drained of all its fluids) doesn’t weigh much at all (they drain it back into your body in the OR before they cut it off). Frequently, however, some fat is removed along with excess skin and that adds some weight to what’s removed. What you’re asking — how much weight do you lose by getting rid of the skin — is a perfectly reasonable question but one that only a doctor could really answer for you. My own personal experience was that the skin I had removed didn’t weigh much. I had a lower body lift a year ago and there wasn’t any fat removal or lipo involved (I was at a pretty low body fat percentage prior to the surgery). At the time, my doctor estimated that he removed maybe 2-3 pounds of skin (though he said that it covered “yards” — seriously). Everyone’s experience will be different — a plastic surgeon would have to look at you in order to answer that question for you.

Quote:
I've talked to people who say that if you lose weight slowly and the right way, the skin will shrink back.
What you were told is the Big Lie about excess skin and weight loss. We’ll talk LOTS more about this in the sticky but let me assure you that there are plenty of people here who lost weight “the right way” — exercised, ate healthy, lost it slowly, lifted weights, took vitamins, massaged in lotions, chanted ancient spells, reasoned with their skin, you name it — and have lots of excess skin. This lie perpetrates the myth that you did something “wrong” if you end up with excess skin. I personally felt like a failure, even though I had lost 122 pounds, because I couldn't wear shorts or a bathing suit, thanks to the Big Lie. It took a consultation with a plastic surgeon to set me straight on the facts about what happens to our skin when we lose weight (and it’s as variable as we are!)

So stayed tuned and we’ll see what we can pull together. And yes, it is indeed wonderful to get rid of the skin covering the body that I’ve worked so hard at building!
Old 01-21-2004, 02:26 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Amen to the Megster

What I am going to do at this point is bring all the loose skin threads above into the Maintainers Forum (with a redirect at their previous forums). Then we'll at least have a 'central clearing center' for the loose skin topic.

IMO the topic of loose skin belongs here at the Maintainers forum for obvious reasons - it's when you get close to goal/maintenance weight that the possible 'next step' becomes evident...
Closed Thread