Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
dagmar, do you have ice cleats to wear? When I lived in Mass. one could get these ice cleats that slipped on over shoes or boots.

yoyoma, do you have high cholesterol normally?

Good luck on your presentations, saef.
The cleats are good for people who drive to a location, park, get out of the car and put the cleats on to walk. Reverse when they are done.

Unfortunately I get in and out of the car at least 60 times per day and go in and out of people's houses at least 30 times. Cleats on and off that many times is not doable.

I have developed techniques for walking on various winter surfaces and have really good boots. I also manage the dogs really carefully to limit pulling, jumping, etc. while they are attached to me. And I select where I walk with particular groups with care and look where I'm going. No distractions either.

I fell because I made a wrong assumption about a surface, I was wearing stupid shoes, distracted, and I wasn't watching my footing. A painful and expensive lesson but those are the ones that generally stay with me.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Michele, I drove past Gilbert when I drove home. The Arizona Trail is east of there. Here's a link to the map. I hiked Passage 25 and part of 22. You are doing a great job with the program so far and you are getting fantastic results!

I'll be thinking stable thoughts for you, Dagmar. I have a fear of falling when I hike. Many times there is loose gravel on a downhill part and it is so easy to slip. My knee is extremely vulnerable to injury, so I just go really slow. Uphill is better.

Jessica, good job over the weekend!

Yoyo, unless I monitor my calories, 15K steps does not protect me from weight gain. I just have to accept going to bed a little hungry several times a week when I need to drop a few pounds. It makes me angry when I think about it, but if I just keep busy I manage it. You can too!!

Last edited by HowlinAtTheMoon; 02-12-2018 at 12:52 PM.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Alice for your kind words! I hope to explore the Arizona trails at some point. I'm thinking Arizona would be a nice place to retire but I haven't explored it enough to make that decision yet.

I second what you said about Jessica! Great job at staying focused!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #49  
Workin' It

Michele - great job in phase 1!

My weight is hanging around the same place it has been for weeks. I wasn't very diligent during the holidays, so am primarily glad I didn't gain. I am frustrated at staying in the same place all January. Bah.

New exercise program going well. Made cauliflower soup in the Instant Pot for lunches for the week. Keep on keeping on.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:39 AM   #50  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Just calling in to keep in the game. My sister and the postie both say at least a fortnight to get over the flu. That's a relief. No hurry, no pressure! I've got till the end of the week, then. I'm out of practice at being ill.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #51  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Just calling in to keep in the game. My sister and the postie both say at least a fortnight to get over the flu. That's a relief. No hurry, no pressure! I've got till the end of the week, then. I'm out of practice at being ill.
It's such a shift in routine. And so frustrating! Glad to hear you're on the mend Birchie!

Dagmar
Old 02-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #52  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

155.0 this morning, did 30 mins on the stationary bike yesterday (not very hard effort, but hey, at least I did something!). You know, I was skeptical of Noom when I started this free trial, but I think having the push notifications to remind me of stuff is actually really helpful. It's nice to meet the daily step goal, and there's a group coach who posts on there a couple times a day to remind us of things. There's nothing I didn't already know content-wise, and there's nothing I'm doing that I couldn't also do via my other free apps, but idk, the fact that there's an actual person who's an employee of a company who's job is to watch my progress is kind of motivating haha.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #53  
Workin' It

Birchie - take care of yourself. The people around me aren't letting themselves recover and keep coming in to the office bringing their flu germs getting more people sick, or themselves relapsing. It is a mess.

Jessica - my aunt likes the coaching aspect of it, too.

DH and I are supposed to go out to dinner tonight, but I have to say that it is tempting to snug in at home and not expose ourselves to anyone.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Down slightly to 131.4 this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
yoyoma, do you have high cholesterol normally?
Due to neglecting checkups for several years, I don't know. But it was high about 6 months ago. But I've learned that IF, keto, and even losing weight can raise LDL for a period of time (and all of those may have been in play).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post
Yoyo, unless I monitor my calories, 15K steps does not protect me from weight gain. I just have to accept going to bed a little hungry several times a week when I need to drop a few pounds. It makes me angry when I think about it, but if I just keep busy I manage it. You can too!!
I had hoped upping my steps from 10K to 15K would be enough (based on some results of a study I read about steps taken by postal workers and BMI). It's very annoying since I had an easy time maintaining with OMAD at 10K steps.

Michele, glad to hear the 80 day program is working for you and Jessica, that Noom is working out for you too. =)

Last edited by yoyoma; 02-13-2018 at 12:49 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #55  

Going out for the annual birthday dinner with my two cousins. We are going to a refurbished dive tavern which has now gone upscale - $22 cheeseburger.

I am drooling while looking at the menu. Good thing my doctor (who I see tomorrow) no longer weighs me but asks me my weight and believes what I say. I'm going to gain at least 5 lbs. eating a starter and a main tonite and I will enjoy all of it! Back on the wagon tomorrow.http://www.mapleleaftavern.ca/food-a...dinner/mains-1

Dagmar
Old 02-14-2018, 02:42 AM   #56  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I did a very few exercises yesterday. That plus a very few things around the house wiped me out. I'll do the same today and see if I cope any better.

Dagmar, enjoy yourself. It'll be good to get out of the house. That place certainly doesn't seem much like a drinking den any more.

Jessica, I like coaching/regular support I'm getting from PN too.

Shannon, if you can avoid getting the flu, do it.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:13 AM   #57  

The bar/restaurant we went to last night looks really good. Service and food are pretty average. I had pickled eggs and a cheeseburger and fries. I guess the main had enough fat in it that it upset my stomach. Woke up several times during the night etc.

My older cousin had a small steak. We joshed about his trying the 20 oz. ribeye but he said that he couldn't pack the food away any more. I'm finding that too. Since I hit 60 I don't seem to be able to eat any food in quantity. And since I eat mostly low fat food I don't do well with anything that's high fat.

Interesting how our bodies are trying to be healthy! My cousin is someone who was a fat kid (like me) and then slimmed down and started exercising (cycling and swimming are his things) in his teens. He has stayed very fit and, at 63, is kind of a role model for me and for his much younger brother (who is a mere pup at 51). The brother loves to play tennis and squash and his knees are holding up well so he's still going strong on the court. Both of them go to the gym regularly too. The younger cousin's younger daughter (she's 16) has now started going to the gym with her dad. Nice!

I'm off to the doctor this morning. I think he actually has to touch me a couple of times for the physical this time. We are allotted a free pap test and breast exam every 2 years and this is my year. LOL

Dagmar
Old 02-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #58  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

154.4 this morning! Feeling good about it. I haven't been at this weight since before the holidays last year. I went to CVS last night to get a last-minute valentine's card for DH and resisted all of the candy. The kiddos are having a sleepover with the in-laws this weekend and I'm not sure what DH and I are going to do, but we might just cook a nice steak at home or something instead of going out to save on calories.

Yesterday I did a yoga session from the 20 minute yoga download podcast called "Yoga Rocks." It was kind of funny because the instructor was very bro-ish but was still spouting yoga philosophy.

Last edited by paperclippy; 02-14-2018 at 09:16 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Happy birthday, Dagmar!! Sorry the food didn't sit well with you.

Hooray, Jessica!! That's awesome!!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #60  
Workin' It

Jessica - Jason Crandell is like that, too. He's got long shaggy hair, and when he does his own podcasts instead of ones for Yoga Journal he is a total dude, but talks about centering and zen. It is always kind of funny.