Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #256  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I've decided to stop looking at the Christmas cookie recipes.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #257  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Friday morning at 159.

Going to bed every night just before 8 PM and lights out by 9 PM has been helpful this week. As for the Holiday Fair yesterday, not a problem. I ate lunch. That helped quell any urgency. Also I viewed the food as decorations, which was easy because of the tiered platters and the garlands and the sparkling dust all around it. I ate five strawberries & a thumbtip-sized piece of bleu cheese, drank Diet Coke from the bar, and I was done. Talked with a friend and was back at my desk 15 minutes later.

There's snow in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow morning, so I want to get to the grocery store sometime today. This will be tricky as it must occur between meetings on my work-from-home day. Last thing I want is to be stuck in a line at checkout with a meeting starting in five minutes.

Last edited by saef; 12-09-2017 at 06:41 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #258  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Dec 7, morning weight 157.4, 1183 calories, 10 minutes walking outside before I realized it was way too cold for the clothes I was wearing
Dec 8, morning weight 156.6

Andrea, I know I'm doing very low calories right now -- I expect it'll go up on the weekend so my average for the week will not be quite so low (though fwiw I am extremely sedentary on weekdays so it's not like I'm overexerting myself). I'm trying to kind of detox from my vacation last weekend, and it's working so far. It actually hasn't been anywhere near as difficult as I expected. My general plan is to keep up the low calorie count between now and Dec 20, when I go on vacation again, with the intent of trying to balance out this month as much as possible because I know for a fact that I will not be able to resist temptation when we're out visiting my family.

Anyway, while raw veggies are definitely a good healthy snack, I find that tea is more settling for my stomach because it's hot, and because it's hot I have to drink it slowly. My experience with my own stomach is that the things that make me feel fuller are hot things and fibrous grains (oatmeal, bran flakes, etc.). I could eat a bag of carrots or a pile of protein and still be hungry after. In any case while in the long term I want to focus on healthier eating, in the short term I need to get back down below 150 asap so I can fit in my clothes.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #259  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Dec 7, morning weight 157.4, 1183 calories, 10 minutes walking outside before I realized it was way too cold for the clothes I was wearing
Dec 8, morning weight 156.6

Andrea, I know I'm doing very low calories right now -- I expect it'll go up on the weekend so my average for the week will not be quite so low (though fwiw I am extremely sedentary on weekdays so it's not like I'm overexerting myself). I'm trying to kind of detox from my vacation last weekend, and it's working so far. It actually hasn't been anywhere near as difficult as I expected. My general plan is to keep up the low calorie count between now and Dec 20, when I go on vacation again, with the intent of trying to balance out this month as much as possible because I know for a fact that I will not be able to resist temptation when we're out visiting my family.

Anyway, while raw veggies are definitely a good healthy snack, I find that tea is more settling for my stomach because it's hot, and because it's hot I have to drink it slowly. My experience with my own stomach is that the things that make me feel fuller are hot things and fibrous grains (oatmeal, bran flakes, etc.). I could eat a bag of carrots or a pile of protein and still be hungry after. In any case while in the long term I want to focus on healthier eating, in the short term I need to get back down below 150 asap so I can fit in my clothes.
Very well-thought out holiday coping plan Jessica!

Dagmar
Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #260  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Andrea--hope you get out of your "funk" soon.
For me, trying something totally new has been the ticket! I've been doing the Beachbody workouts and drinking ********** for 2 weeks and I feel great! Weight is dropping (also following the 21 day fix meal plan), have more energy, feel sore (good sore) and am seeing some muscle definition back! Getting close to my redline so I'm super motivated!
I'm not easily offended, but my dd (who has seen it) has said my other dd (the Mormon one) should definitely not see it!

I thought I was going off my eating plan tonight as dh and I were going to get pizza before he leaves tonight for Singapore. We were trying to finish season 2 of Stranger Things before he left. We thought we had 2 episodes left, so we watched last night and realized there is ONE MORE! So... we are scrapping pizza night so we can watch it before he leaves for the airport so I will have a light "on plan" dinner. Win!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #261  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Curious to see what Michele's ********* drink is!

For all of you hitting yourself for gaining a few pounds, you have no idea. I've let myself become complacent and that--over the course of several years--means I am 10 pounds over my highest weight listed under my avatar. I exercise at least 4 days a week. I eat moderately (although I'm not actually counting calories). I am getting at least 7 hours sleep each night. But, like Jessica, I am quite sedentary at work. I'm also starting to have trouble with varicose veins in my left leg. I had a procedure several years ago to get rid of a bad one near my knee and now I'm developing them on my calf, but the pain/achy feeling is back where the bad one was. All that remains there now is a big spider vein, but those aren't supposed to hurt, are they?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #262  

That is too funny! It is the protein drink that Beachbody sells. I guess for some reason, I can't "promote" it here??
Old 12-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #263  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

lol Michele that's hilarious!

I'm proud of myself this afternoon because I needed to do some work outside the office, and I could have gone to Starbucks to do it or another coffeeshop, but instead I went to the library, where there would be no temptation.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #264  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Michele, I just googled the "Beachbody" diet. An interesting twist on measuring for portion control instead of calorie counting. Out of curiousity, how many of each size/color container do you allow yourself each day? And, have you ever taken out a series of standard measuring cups to determine what the "cup" size for each one?
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:57 AM   #265  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
For all of you hitting yourself for gaining a few pounds, you have no idea. I've let myself become complacent and that--over the course of several years--means I am 10 pounds over my highest weight listed under my avatar. I exercise at least 4 days a week. I eat moderately (although I'm not actually counting calories). I am getting at least 7 hours sleep each night. But, like Jessica, I am quite sedentary at work. I'm also starting to have trouble with varicose veins in my left leg. I had a procedure several years ago to get rid of a bad one near my knee and now I'm developing them on my calf, but the pain/achy feeling is back where the bad one was. All that remains there now is a big spider vein, but those aren't supposed to hurt, are they?
Very much sympathy, Allison. I am in a similar boat. Reusing an old notebook has made me realise that I am about a stone and a half (say, 20lbs) heavier than I was in 2010. I'm probably back to where I was when I started here. I think there are three main reasons.

1. My circumstances changed and the old routine didn't fit any more. I couldn't rely on quick actions that always worked, as I had done. For example, go to the gymn, eat in this kind of way.

2. In fact, no routine fitted (or fits) as my days are always different. Even when I put together what I think is a bomb-proof idea for food and exercise it gets blown out of the water within three or four weeks. Yes, of course I plan but every day is different. Rarely can I pull a standard plan off the shelf.

3. Part of the reason for my circumstances changing involves illness and death in the family. Dealing with this can't be delegated or outsourced, and it has an emotional and physical toll. Sometimes you (I) have to carry on despite being exhausted. And that's when food comes on stage.

There could also be a fourth reason. Back in the halcyon days I used to read fairly widely and thought that I had a reasonable idea of what and how to eat. Most of us here are old-timers and know that new ideas, theories and proof are always coming forward. I've tried high fat, low carb and I think that may have helped in putting on weight (in my individual circumstances). I tried low fat (with the nurse at the surgery) - a big mistake as I don't want constipation nor the idea of disgusting ready meals in my mind. And now I'm back with some variation of 'eat sensibly', and work on behaviour and habit.

As many of you know, I post over at the Beck Diet Solution board as I like the idea of a behavioural approach. But Beck herself annoys me in several ways and so I rebel. Yes, I'm a natural rebel and that's one of the reasons the nurse approach and 'challenges' don't work for me. I'm currently flirting with the Precision Nutrition (Krista Scott-Dixon now works with them) approach which builds habits very, very slowly. Scroll down to 'The habits of Precision Nutrition Coaching'. Not sure what I think about it beyond that it's interesting.

Got to get on. I have a day at the office getting a report to first draft stage. It's cold here but the sun has come up now and it's looking beautiful out there.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #266  
Girl Gone Strong

Saturday morning, at 159.1.

Since I weighed about 257 pounds --- 247 when I joined this forum, needing some success before I could face others -- and I was well over 200 pounds for many years, I can say that yes, I have kept off the majority of my weight loss.

Here's the problem: I find it difficult to remain around 138-145.

I was up around 160 in November 2014 when I was hit by a car, and during my recuperation, I actually *lost* weight, probably due to a stringent diet which compensated for the lack of exercise. I was nearly at the ideal weight of about 138 when I was cleared by the surgeon for nearly all exercise except for repetitive stress, like running and jumping. I focused on lifting weights and found my weight increasing. Now I'm trying to get consistently under the 160s for a start -- in other words, I'm seeking a 20-pound weight loss, like many of you.

Some of the regain is muscle, but some of it is fat. I hate rummaging so hard through my wardrobe for clothes.

I should mention that because of the daily heavy exercise, I've got athlete's heart, with a low resting heart rate, and excellent blood pressure. My blood work is usually great.

I'm going to say that I have done well with maintenance, because of never going back anywhere near 257, but I have not attained the ideal or what most people want with weight loss, which is always staying close to that 138 goal.

Last edited by saef; 12-09-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #267  

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
Michele, I just googled the "Beachbody" diet. An interesting twist on measuring for portion control instead of calorie counting. Out of curiousity, how many of each size/color container do you allow yourself each day? And, have you ever taken out a series of standard measuring cups to determine what the "cup" size for each one?
I know you can use standard measuring cups but I haven’t because you can buy the whole set off amazon for about 7 bucks.

I am using the lowest calorie group, but have been going a tad over on some days in some areas. Fruits are what I have trouble staying within. I get… 3 green (veggies), 2 purple (fruit), 4 red (protein), 2 yellow (carbs), 1 blue (healthy fat), 1 orange (seeds and dressings), 2 teaspoons of oils and nut butters. There are free apps to help track. I’m finding the challenge group to be quite motivating as we each post each day sharing our successes, struggles, meal ideas, etc. And I’m enjoying the workouts! I was 126.2 this morning which is the lowest I’ve been in months.

Last edited by traveling michele; 12-09-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:29 AM   #268  

I keep thinking I should get on the scale to at least have a number for December. Then I think "nah". I'm swinging back and forth between fear and indifference. And I'm pretty sure the number is not going to be something daunting (like above 140).

Dagmar
Old 12-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #269  
Girl Gone Strong

Sunday morning at 158.6. That's from trudging around downtown yesterday in heavy boots against the falling snow. An ideal day to stay indoors and make soup. But I had a matinee ticket and was determined to go to the sold-out show. I forgot it was SantaCon. It's like Halloween except everyone's dressed as Santa or a sexy elf or even in reindeer pajamas.

Need to clear the snow off my car and head to the produce store. Also need a jar of masa harina for a new chili recipe that I want to try.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:26 AM   #270  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I keep thinking I should get on the scale to at least have a number for December. Then I think "nah". I'm swinging back and forth between fear and indifference. And I'm pretty sure the number is not going to be something daunting (like above 140).

Dagmar
My number for December is 135.6 lbs. :

Dagmar