Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #196  
Workin' It

Saef - right there with you. I feel miserable every single time I'm sick like that. It works great for her though. Really, for most of her family I guess. She and her sisters learned it from their mom, and she doesn't understand why we all don't do it. Back when I was friends with her, I remember an instance of her leaving the table at a restaurant because something didn't sit well, and she came back seeemingly right as rain. I just don't get it. It doesn't work at all for DSS though - he looks like five miles of bad road when he's sick like that. Yick all around.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #197  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Odd form of bulimia...
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #198  
Workin' It

Jay - I've thought that same thing myself in the past.... It doesn't seem like it is as pervasive as a traditional bulimia presentation for most of them. More on demand than some people I've known with it, maybe? Or maybe just like it, and it just isn't visible as often. Dunno. I am a little worried that it is becoming a habit for DSS, and he doesn't comprehend the long term impact enough to really think about the ramifications.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #199  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi all, long time no chat
I came back to check in and saw the recent discussion. I had to laugh because I just finished teaching upper GI histology today, and we discussed how animals that vomit frequently or return food to the mouth (dogs and ruminants) have mostly striated (skeletal) muscle in the esophagus, vs. more smooth muscle in other animals. Shannon, perhaps that side of the family simply has a skeletal-muscle esophagus??
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #200  
Workin' It

JZJ - could be true. Science often wills out. Good to see you, how are you doing?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:56 AM   #201  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Wednesday morning at 159.6.

I'm learning all over again to sit with the restless feeling of "wanting something" which is different from hunger. What do I really want, and how to distract myself until the feeling passes, which it always does?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:19 AM   #202  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I'm learning all over again to sit with the restless feeling of "wanting something" which is different from hunger. What do I really want, and how to distract myself until the feeling passes, which it always does?
At the risk of sounding a little odd I have found "worry beads" to be a good thing to use to quiet my mind.I don't use actual beads though. I have two small stones I picked up on the beach a million years ago and I move them around in my hands.

Very useful to stop eating in front of the TV, quit smoking (did that using these same stones some 35 years ago), etc. This only works when I'm sitting.

To quote Bill Shatner "weird or what!"

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #203  
Girl Gone Strong

Thanksgiving morning, at 160.6. Disappointed but not a big setback. There are no desserts or odd things on the menu today at Thanksgiving. We've always eaten our vegetables plain alongside the turkey.

I added 20 more minutes of cardio at the end of yesterday's routine, and just that addition was enough to leave me hungry for much of yesterday. I was also falling asleep over my laptop again, and sore in all parts of my body. And my one-on-one with my manager was just as unpleasant as I'd thought it would be. I can do nothing right or completely enough for her. Ever since I tried for a job in a different dept and then did not get it -- that risk-taking ruined our relationship.

Here's to better things in 2018, as I'm still dragging myself through the remainder of 2017.

Last edited by saef; 11-23-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #204  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Shannon, I'm doing fine. Work is progressing... I've gotten through the bulk of the extra work created by my coworker's leave, which is a relief. She should be back by the new year. My new concern is my two new graduate students - I've not had any time to spend with them since they started, and one seems to need quite a bit more encouragement, supervision, etc. than is typical. I'm worried about her progress.

Fitness and eating - OK. Despite constant rain and grey, dark days for the past two months I've been pretty consistent. I've ridden my bike to work daily even in hard rain. What kills me is wanting to exercise when it's light out during the daytime, but being trapped inside never seeing natural light. As with last year, I'm glued to my "happy light" for hours each morning. It's the only thing that allows me to sleep normally. Otherwise I'm awake until midnight, then up at 4 am, then exhausted all day. That seems to be my main form of SAD - disordered sleep, and not being sure if I'm awake or not.

I'm waiting for a flight at the Eugene airport. I'm going "home" and spending a few days with family and friends (last minute decision). I was looking forward to a few days off of work with DH in our new house, to finish unpacking and just relax together, but this will be good too.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:43 AM   #205  
Girl Gone Strong

Black Friday, and I'm at 160 exactly.

A tedious day after my morning gym and walk to the grocery store for last-minute stuff (green beans, bagged salad for lunch). All centered around waiting for that big bird to come out of the oven. I began planning our next vacation in May. I've become obsessed with the so-called "Grand Circle" of national parks, but I see myself doing it in a series of trips over the next few years.

My mother doesn't leave until Monday. It's been too long for both of us and it's wearing on us.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #206  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I ate a lot yesterday, but after all it is just one day. My favorites were the prime rib, the butternut ravioli, the apple sausage stuffing and the tiramisu. Good thing the time flies by so fast these days, because it will be Thanksgiving again before I know it

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #207  
Girl Gone Strong

Saturday morning after another day of feeling responsible for my mother. I'm at 160.6 again.

A late day starting due to the co-op superintendent coming by an hour later than planned to fix the regulator inside my shower. The walls in my bathroom had been rumbling like a motorboat starting up due to this tiny part wearing out & failing, causing a terrible vibrating sound. Also toilet kept running. Can't believe they've fixed it.

We saw "Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri," a week after seeing "Ladybird." Two strong women's movies in the theaters at the same time -- it's good to see this. Also we braved the crowds at Bed, Bath & Beyond and HomeGoods. I kind of like participating in Black Friday on a very limited basis but I still don't feel ready for Christmas, though it will arrive whether or not I'm ready for it.

Still dreaming of my next vacation: Bryce and Zion from Las Vegas. I've never been to Utah.

Last edited by saef; 11-25-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #208  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Bryce and Zion will alter your consciousness, saef.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:39 PM   #209  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Bryce and Zion parks are amazing. Moab, with Arches is also a treasure.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #210  
Girl Gone Strong

Sunday morning, at 159.9.

Another good movie yesterday, this one a documentary, "Jane," about Jane Gooddall, whom I remember in National Geographic specials of my youth. She was the first to spend extensive time observing chimpanzees in the wild. She was someone's assistant, without a university degree, who had a strong intellect, curiosity and patience. It was inspiring to see her.

I've made my hotel reservations: 2 nights in the Lodge at Bryce, 3 nights at a hotel in Springdale at the gates of Zion. At Bryce, I want to do a 3-hour horseback that takes you down into the amphitheater among the hoodoos, but have to figure out what my mother will do to occupy herself during that time. Even if she wanted to, which she wouldn't, there is a 220-lb weight restriction for riding the horses or mules.

Last day before going back to work. Mother departs tomorrow after I drive to CT for the day.