Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Yes, me too. Although there were also safety issues involved. I train in the kitchen and outside. I'm just adding in hill sprints (yes!) in power walking format to try to shift the tummy fat. I've found a hill with a beautiful view and very near where I go every day. I used to do this kind of HIIT thing on the rowing machine.
I know of people who"walk" their dogs on treadmills. Kinda sad for the dogs. Effective exercise but dreary and monotonous. Give the choice of walking my guys indoors or out I'll take out every time - except in torrential freezing cold rain.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #167  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Are they treadmills made specifically for dogs? I know that people aren't supposed to use treadmills barefoot because the surface of the moving tread will blister feet. Might this be a problem for dogs?
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #168  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Are they treadmills made specifically for dogs? I know that people aren't supposed to use treadmills barefoot because the surface of the moving tread will blister feet. Might this be a problem for dogs?
The two people I know who have the treadmills just use the "human" one for the dogs. No reports of paw injuries.

Dagmar
Old 11-13-2017, 06:23 AM   #169  

Back from the dogsit. 6 weeks 'til Christmas. Time to take off a little weight. I'm going to give myself a week of eating only my fruit and yogurt snack in the evening before doing a weigh in for November.

My target is 135 lbs. or a bit under by Dec. 24. I've become pretty focused at home for not overeating in the evening and I'm fortunate in that I don't get any goodies brought in at my office.

Dagmar
Old 11-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #170  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Love that you're so focussed, Dagmar! This office is pretty clear of junk too. I just don't understand those bowls of sweeties at all.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #171  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

My doctor visit last week was both good and depressing. Good because my bloodwork is excellent, the doctor is super impressed with my health, etc. The depressing was what comes along with turning 50! I had done the "sample" for the lab and thought I was done with that. Nope. I need to schedule a colonoscopy. She also found a possible cyst on my thyroid so I'm going to have an ultrasound this afternoon. The best part was when I asked her if she thought I was in menopause. She said, "Oh honey.... you're in menopause all right". Sigh....

My weight yesterday was lower than I've seen in a long time. Sooooo close to being back to my redline. But, alas, it's up today. I have some big indulgences coming up this week, not to mention Thanksgiving next week, so I'm trying to be uber focused. We have our annual Feast at school this week which is the only day of the year I allow myself to partake of treats at work. Then, dh comes home (finally!!!) on Saturday and we've planned a nice meal out on Sunday.

Did I ever mention the follow up to Ellie's eating of the ottoman? She ate it on Tuesday. Acted completely normal after. Threw up giant chunks of leather Thursday morning!!!! Afterwards she acted normal. Threw up one more big chunk of leather on Friday. Has seemed fine since. I'm praying it is all out of her system and that it didn't do any damage. I guess leather isn't digestible! I checked the yard but didn't see any in her piles. Oy vey!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #172  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Feeling motivated today. I'm going to try to buckle down and get off as much weight as I can aside from the holidays. I don't have room to gain 5lbs over the holidays this year -- if I do none of my clothes will fit at all. So instead I'm going to try to lose as much as I can all the rest of the time. Upcoming events to have to deal with: thanksgiving, a vacation to the Bahamas I won at work, and the week-long trip to my mom's for christmas. Plus DH's birthday and Hanukkah but I think I can handle that more easily, it's the out of town vacations I'm more worried about.

Done with NRLW. I should find some more heavy lifting to do but honestly I don't like doing heavy lifting on my own, without a partner to encourage me. I need to either find a gym buddy or find a different workout that works for me. Today I packed my cold weather running gear in my gym bag, so I'm trying to decide whether to go outside for a jog or do yoga. The aspiration of the cyst in my wrist was successful enough that I can comfortably get into a plank position for the first time in forever, so I'm kind of eager to get going on yoga, but I also feel like I haven't done cardio in ages (I don't just feel like I haven't -- I actually haven't ).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:10 AM   #173  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Feeling motivated today. I'm going to try to buckle down and get off as much weight as I can aside from the holidays. I don't have room to gain 5lbs over the holidays this year -- if I do none of my clothes will fit at all. So instead I'm going to try to lose as much as I can all the rest of the time. Upcoming events to have to deal with: thanksgiving, a vacation to the Bahamas I won at work, and the week-long trip to my mom's for christmas. Plus DH's birthday and Hanukkah but I think I can handle that more easily, it's the out of town vacations I'm more worried about.

Done with NRLW. I should find some more heavy lifting to do but honestly I don't like doing heavy lifting on my own, without a partner to encourage me. I need to either find a gym buddy or find a different workout that works for me. Today I packed my cold weather running gear in my gym bag, so I'm trying to decide whether to go outside for a jog or do yoga. The aspiration of the cyst in my wrist was successful enough that I can comfortably get into a plank position for the first time in forever, so I'm kind of eager to get going on yoga, but I also feel like I haven't done cardio in ages (I don't just feel like I haven't -- I actually haven't ).
IMO most exercise is better than none so whatever you pick is good!

Dagmar
Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #174  

A depressing, off-topic subject but am looking for advice.
One of my closest friends (of 30 years) had a half-hearted attempt at suicide yesterday. She texted me (after hubby had taken her to a crisis hospital) and he later texted as well to give me more background and details. Definitely sounds like a cry for help and not a true wish to die. I of course offered to drop everything and go see her (she's in Oregon) but they don't want or need me there at the moment. Hubby sounds like he is dropping everything (work, etc) to get her the treatment she needs.
My question is-- besides calling, sending cards, etc. what else can I do? She is a big reader so I was thinking of sending her books-- but what book says-- your life is worth living and we love you!? Any other little ideas that might help her know she is loved?
Her mom died suddenly at age 50 and my friend is turning 50 soon-- she is very anxious about this as she has health issues and I know this is part of it.
It just breaks my heart.

Yesterday was an all around bummer day as my dd also had to put her cat to sleep as is quite upset about that. In the evening at my house, a package was left at my door-- Ellie ran over me on the couch to go bark at the door knocking my ipad to the floor-- the screen totally cracked-- I had to laugh. I had already cried enough for one day....
Old 11-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #175  
in development

Michele, how dreadfully upsetting. My experience tells me that being available to someone (and respecting when they don't want to be in touch) is a very good way of showing you love and care about someone. Listening a lot - to what's said and to the silences. Talking about things you both like takes the focus away from the 'problem'. I talk about the garden because you're always in the present and also looking forward in hope and optimism. I also talk about nature because small things can make all the difference: a bird in flight, a cloud, the rustle of leaves, a flower.

When things were really extreme with one friend I was just present and listened, the times when he let me into the house. Other times I left food outside but that was his situation.

Not quite what you asked for but these have made the difference in our lives.

Books are great but I don't think I'd send a book with a 'meaning'. A book just to read for enjoyment might be good to give your friend a place to get away from things for a bit.

Sorry about your DD's cat, about your iPad, about the way life has of piling all these things up together.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #176  

I appreciate your thoughts and wisdom, Birchie. I truly do. Yes, I know I shouldn't send a "preachy" book. She loves classics like Jane Austen, but her favorite book is Bridget Jones' diary. Any suggestions on something newer that might hit either of those two genres?
Old 11-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #177  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
I appreciate your thoughts and wisdom, Birchie. I truly do. Yes, I know I shouldn't send a "preachy" book. She loves classics like Jane Austen, but her favorite book is Bridget Jones' diary. Any suggestions on something newer that might hit either of those two genres?
If you go to amazon and search "Bridget Jones diary" it brings that up and a lot of other things it deems "similar". That might be helpful, might not.

Dagmar
Old 11-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #178  
in development

Good idea, Dagmar.

Apparently Bridget Jones' Diary and Pride and Prejudice are thought to be connected ... There are a couple of other Bridget Joneses: The Edge of Reason (based on Austen's Persuasion) and Bridget Jones: Mad about the Boy. She's 51 in the third book and her husband has died leaving her with a couple of children. I don't know these books at all - I mean I've never looked at them. It might be worth checking whether they are suitable for your friend. I suppose she might have already read them. There are all the other Austens too, as well. We read Mansfield Park at school when I was about 13 or 14. I seem to remember it was an OK read and it sold very well in Austen's day.

What to read after Bridget Jones. From Yahoo.

It's difficult to buy books for friends but a book is a good friend to have, if you see what I mean.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #179  

Thank you to you both for your suggestions. I was on Amazon last night searching around but didn't settle on anything yet. I'll go back and peruse more and check the yahoo link as well.

Today is the one day of the year at my school that I indulge-- we have our traditional Thanksgiving staff feast and everyone brings amazing dishes to share! Tomorrow is the day I complain about gaining 5 pounds in one day....

I showed great restraint yesterday during lunch. I sat with the 4th grade team who had gotten pizza (good pizza from a fancy place, not fast food pizza) and a bakery cake for one of the teacher's birthdays. They couldn't believe I didn't partake with them but I told them I was saving it up for today!
Old 11-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #180  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Well I did two workouts this week and have been logging my food, so I'm way more on track than I was before. This is good! Hopefully I can keep it up.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote