Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #286  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Glad you are in a better place, Andrea. I hope to join you again there soon! Every. Single. Time. my weight gets to where I want it, I get complacent and it shoots up and stays up. I know that rationally, but I still can't seem to keep my mind focused enough when I need to.

I experienced an inward battle of wills with myself yesterday. I had a painter scheduled to give me a quote at 3:30. I put my gym clothes on and hoped I'd still make a 4:30 gym class, but told myself I'd still go even if I couldn't make that class. Well, he was late.... He thought the appointment was 4. Then, it took much longer than I anticipated. Our house is in dire need of not just paint, but replacing of much of the wood due to rot. So.... very expensive and time consuming quote.... They didn't leave till after 5:30. When I realized how late it was, I gave myself every reason in the book why I couldn't go-- the gym will be too busy-- I'll never find parking or a machine, it's almost dinner time, it's almost the dogs' dinner time.... Then I said to myself-- how motivated are you to lose this weight really? So... I went... Did 45 minutes on the elliptical and looked around at all of the other gym goers who overcame excuses to get there. And went home happy with myself, rather than chastising myself. And my weight blip from yesterday was back down.

Now to stay motivated today....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #287  
Workin' It

Michele - great job on working out after the painter drama. I had that myself Monday, the company somehow didn't communicate my appt that had been confirmed on 4/17 to the scheduler, so he called at 1:30 (my window was 1-2) to say he was 25 minutes away and would 'fit me in'. I expressed my displeasure at his wording, but let him come anyway. Talked to him some while he was there, and I think it was a language gap with the scheduler that caused the confusion. I liked the quote, so am considering letting them paint next week, weather permitting. And if we can settle on a color. We also have some carpentry repair to do, but not as much as I expected.

Andrea - It gives me hope to hear you talk about how positive you feel. I've boosted my own Vitamin D in the last two weeks, and am considering asking for my thyroid to be checked at my physical in June.

Saef - work is so complicated, isn't it? I hope however it works out it is better for you.

Dagmar - minimal is awesome.

JZJ - happy late birthday!

Birchie - I'm just getting used to my eyeglasses. I don't think I would fare well if I broke them and had to do without. My sympathies there.

Becky - onward and upward. I went on a shrimp binge a couple of weeks ago. Managed to knock out an entire bag of frozen shrimp from Costco in a few lunches.

Long week here after a long weekend, ready for it to be over.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:28 AM   #288  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Michele on the workout decision. It's hard to do that!

TGIF! I'm in a good mood after a warmish sunny day yesterday. Things are growing in my yard and a couple of things are about to bloom!

Yay spring

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #289  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Friday morning, and I'm at 154.6, and I feel like I'm holding something fragile and easily misplaced or broken in my hands.

I went to bed earlier than usual, woke up earlier than usual, and had to commute into the Stamford office today, when I usually work from home. All this has resulted in my being in a good mood. But of course, it's Friday. I am facing a tough meeting today with a bulldozer of an analyst. I'm supposed to be advising her on how to handle reworking a deliverable, but she's not inclined to take my advice because she already has her own idea of what ought to happen. I am a little nervous but also a little exhilarated by the challenge.

This could be a good day if I treat it carefully.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #290  

Hope everyone's day continues to go brightly and happily! It is after all- Friday!

I'm wearing my new Friday shirt. My dd found it at Target in the MENS section?!? It is Belle (from Beauty and the Beast) reading a book, saying "My Weekend is all Booked"!

I'm feeling a mixture of feelings today. I went back to Hot Pilates yesterday after a big hiatus-- it was sooooo hard and I'm sore... but my weight is up which makes me cranky. And I have a headache and allergies.... But... dh is homing home tomorrow-- HOORAY! But.... I feel old because younger dd (22) texted me that she just found her first gray hair...... So, I'm all over the place!

This weekend we will go look at paint colors for the house. And hopefully look at and possibly book our Italy Anniversary trip.... Crossing fingers!!
Old 04-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #291  

I'm looking for opinions on something....

I mentioned that one of my friends/acquaintances had her hubby unexpectedly die in his sleep recently (I think he was 52!).
This weekend she is having a memorial for him, but she is calling it a celebration of life-- no black attire, etc.
Is it appropriate to bring her a small gift? I have a card, but I also got a couple of items like notecards and a candle, but I don't know what's appropriate in this situation.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #292  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Michele, my immediate response is no unless, possibly, flowers.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #293  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

My feeling about a gift is also no. No one brought gifts to my mother's celebration of life.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #294  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Card, yes, gift, no. But if you knew him, a nice story to remember him by inside the card would be thoughtful.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:48 AM   #295  
Girl Gone Strong

Saturday morning, and surprised by seeing 152.7 on the scale.

This is from being in the office on Friday, among people, talking with them, and not alone with anxiety and a kitchen nearby. The bulldozer of an analyst stood up at a whiteboard writing her ideas but she listened to me. This was a genuine dialogue, when I thought I was going to be lectured at. Then I attended another longtime analyst's retirement luncheon, held in a walled-off section of our cafeteria, and got to laugh at some of the stories. And the temperatures spiked. In the evening, I watched the final episode of "Wolf Hall" and marveled at Rylance. All in all, one of those rare good days.

I will undoubtedly gain weight over the weekend but I'm going to see what I can do to minimize it.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #296  
in development

A full morning. And it's the May Day holiday weekend here and the roads are very, very full. I've holed up at the office for the afternoon and hope everyone gets where they want to go by the end of the afternoon.

Wearing my black jacquard trousers - these fit. My navy ones don't, quite, since they went through the wash on the wrong cycle. They've shrunk just enough to feel uncomfortable and make me feel fat but not enough to be useless.

Very reassuring just now to see that saef had posted, as per usual. saef, come on over and see some wonderful buildings and gardens. I'll be spending a few days over the next few weeks driving through springtime Cheshire to and from Macclesfield, an 18th century silk weaving town. And I have to collect the new lens for my glasses from my optician in Chester. Fun to think that you've been here.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:39 AM   #297  
Girl Gone Strong

Yes, I gained yesterday, to 153.7.

I had planned to spend today differently than I will end up spending it. I saw a notice by our mailboxes today. My upstairs neighbor, the Angel of the Second Floor, has died, the woman who came to me when the flood was predicted back in 2012 and took in some of my belongings and saved them. She was 89 years old. Once again, I'll be attending calling hours.

There are robins and cardinals singing and I am uneasy and somewhat elated as spring is now full-blown.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:27 AM   #298  
in development

Default May Day greetings!

Bad situation with the neighbours which has been rumbling for a while has made me three days behind with work, and I was on a tight timetable anyway. We had to call the police. So not feeling too good all round.

I now know that lots of adrenaline means I don't want to eat. So that's a finding.

I am sorry to hear about the death of the Angel of the Second Floor, saef. I remember how she stepped in to help and how relieved you felt that some of your precious things would be safe. She'll be missed.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #299  
Girl Gone Strong

Birchie, your neighbors sound like the opposite of angelic.

I'm at 154.5, having weathered a weekend where I didn't have much of a will to go out & do things. At least I did start watching the second season of "Better Call Saul," which I always miss watching because it comes on too late at night. (I need to get to bed early if I'm going to wake up at 4 AM.)

It's a Monday where my shoulders are already up around my ears from people wanting answers to their questions and tasks completed.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #300  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Day of reflection - we also needed to deal with a death last week. The mother of one of my son's best friends passed suddenly last Sunday night, completely without warning, while working in her craft room after the family went to bed. They didn't find her til morning. She was one of those sunny, cheerful people ... and 51 is just WAY too young. It was a big funeral - she was a devout Catholic and very active in the church, had years of experience as an EMT and trauma nurse, and also managed to be heavily involved with both her kids - a son who's graduating and a daughter in middle school. Sigggggghhhh. The word "unfair" has been bouncing around in my head a lot, though I know it's meaningless in this application. Fortunately the extended family is large, and our community prides itself on supporting us in times of need.

I guess I'm counting this as an excuse. I was surprised at how hard this one hit me. Trying to climb back into the wagon.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote