Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-02-2017, 05:53 AM   #301  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Very sad news, Becky. 51 does seem so young.

On the road later today. It's a lovely spring day so the journey will be good. I'm trying to put upsetting events in the garden behind me but they will lumber on for weeks and months, probably.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:02 AM   #302  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Tuesday morning, up to 155.2, which was discouraging. I think it was my quinoa and chicken breast dinner -- just too much food.

I'm not at the gym yet. My sessions there lately have been uncomfortable, since the humidity is high but they won't turn on the airconditioning because it's spring and not hot outside yet. This is probably why I'm sitting here at my desk a half-hour past my usual time when I ought to be on a machine.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #303  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Successfully avoided day 1 of staff appreciation week.
Day 2 is a "concession stand", so sounds like I'll need to avoid as well.
Stayed on plan, good workout.... scale down .2.... grrr....It is hot here and I feel swollen so blaming it partially on that....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:08 AM   #304  
Girl Gone Strong

Wednesday morning, at 155.3, and I am not pleased with myself and it's not a good start for my day. I woke almost an hour later than usual. Thank goodness it's a work-from-home day.

I was up too late watching another episode of "Better Call Saul" from last season. And I watched it late because I worked late after finally getting into a groove that enabled me to finish a first draft of a presentation on a scheme that I have for simplifying a particular task at work.

I need to make that long walk to the gym through birdsong.

Becky, I've been thinking about death more than usual this spring, as neighbors or people close to my age, slightly younger or slightly older, have been dying. It is a triumph to be alive and being 20 pounds over my goal weight, while undesirable, still leaves my heart pumping and my blood flowing. Even though last night I dreamed of eating chocolates in an eating-disordered way -- biting it, savoring it, then throwing it away, unchewed, let alone uneaten.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:35 AM   #305  

I also am not pleased with my weight, but trying to keep things in perspective.
I really feel like the scale should reward me for skipping all the treats-- yesterday was nachos, popcorn, other snacks, and the cutest "corn dogs"-- which were twinkies on a stick with fake mustard or ketchup on them.
I also didn't eat the gifts kids gave me-- chocolate covered pretzels (dh is enjoying those), cupcakes, and cookies...
My reward-- scale is up .2 again. But it is HOT and I'm swollen. Gonna keep plugging away.

I'll have to add Better Call Saul to my netflix queue. I love that there are so many great shows out now. Dh and I are still watching (and loving) Shameless, but we didn't watch last night because we were busy booking our ITALY trip for our 30th wedding anniversary! So excited!! It's a walking tour (self-guided so just the two of us) and we'll be walking 10-15 miles a day so I will be looking for great walking/hiking shoes, and breathable clothes as we'll be going in the heat of the summer. We went on a similar tour years ago when girls were younger-- they complained about the walking so dh and I said we'd go back by ourselves and not listen to the whining! Now they're older and saying they'd love it!

Hoping to get some weight off before that trip for sure!

I also had a food dream last night. We were in a steak restaurant and passing around a platter with chunks of steak on it. I was talking and my dd took the last pieces off the platter after she'd already had some. When it got to me, there were only 2 mushrooms left and she wouldn't give me any steak--she said-- you don't usually eat steak and wouldn't make eye contact. I was so mad!

Last edited by traveling michele; 05-03-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #306  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Michele, your Italy trip sounds wonderful! Would you PM me the name of the company that set it up for you? I'd be really interested in something like that! I hope you didn't pay for your dd's dinner after the way she behaved!

Last edited by HowlinAtTheMoon; 05-03-2017 at 02:41 PM.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:40 AM   #307  
in development

Another busy day beckons. To the solicitor (first stage lawyer) re boundary and clearing the decks before getting in car for another journey tomorrow. I did well yesterday. Packed my food, including breakfast, and had a brisk walk round a park.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #308  
Girl Gone Strong

Thursday morning at 154.8. Glad it's lower, even if not by much.

What should I do with this spring day, when temperatures have dropped again but the sun is gorgeous? Of course, I'll be in an office staring at a screen all day.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #309  

My poor dogs are wiping themselves out with the excitement around the house. Yesterday the painters came and power washed the house. Plus it was HOT so the dogs barked and wiped themselves out. Today they are coming back to start fixing the rotten woodwork plus the maids are coming. Ellie should have had a nervous breakdown by the end of the day. Hubby wants to do lots more work in and outside the house. The only time it works for me is during the summer when I don't work. Hey-- I'm trying to plan a trip to Italy here! We are trying to get a home equity loan so we can do much of what needs to get done. We bought the house 11.5 years ago, assuming we'd be in it for 2-3 years and then move. Now we are thinking we are here till retirement so we need to do some major upkeep-- need new kitchen cabinets, a new front door, a new garage door, new windows, a new washing machine (not house related per se but still necessary), and the list goes on and on....

Weight remains frustratingly stuck at 133.2. Today's "appreciation" today is root beer floats. Luckily I don't like root beer, so I can avoid pretty easily.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #310  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. As one of Lisa's friends suggested, it is helpful not to concentrate on the "Why?" and instead focus toward the "What?", as in, what have I learned from this person, what can I apply to my own life, what can I do to help the family through the loss. Her husband also said that he and the kids were comforted by the fact that in their house, it was and continues to be, a ritual to wish each other goodnight and to say you love them. So at least they know for a fact that the last words they had with Mom were confirming her and their love. Nice.

Not much to report. May is going to be a wild ride and I need to hammer on the fact that the most effective way to reduce stress is to exercise. It's proven, it is a fact, and it is personally true for me. There's a neat-sounding group class tomorrow at 11 at the pool - it's yoga and pilates exercises in the warm-water pool. I'm really looking forward to giving it a try!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:15 AM   #311  
Girl Gone Strong

Friday morning, and I'm at 154.1. It's 5:15 AM. I can't let this screen suck me into the void -- I have to get to the gym early to make a meeting at 8:30 AM at which I'll be presenting a draft plan for a project and also, on a separate but related matter, arguing against another department's position.

This Friday won't be an easy slide toward the weekend. Nor will it be an easy Saturday tomorrow. But I can do it, I can make it to the other side to watch "Better Call Saul" episodes.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #312  

TGIF!
I started the morning off with excitement. I didn't realize but our custodian overslept and I was the first to school, setting off all the alarms. I ran around trying to disarm them, which I think I did. We'll see if anyone shows up from the alarm company!

Weight is down ever so slightly so I'm glad I turned down dh's suggestion last night to go out for a salad-- even though a salad can be healthy, the portions where we go are large! Today will prove more challenging as PTA is providing lunch. I've signed up for a chicken sandwich but I have no idea where it's from, what it is, fried? Grilled? So, I've snuck a frozen meal in just in case I need a backup but I probably can't get to the microwaves without PTA seeing.... Then, dh will likely want to go out tonight-- we will see.

Tomorrow we are going to Napa for a rescheduled Kayaking tour. Last time we scheduled it rained, so we are trying again. I'm also trying to talk dh into going cherry picking on Sunday as the season just opened, but it's a short one.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:08 AM   #313  
in development

Saturday morning. Howling NE wind but I have to get some plants in. Lots of driving yesterday, day off today, and off again tomorrow. I am doing quite well with food during this busy period but a business contact has invited me out for lunch on Wednesday. I can't see anything I like on the menu. What do you do when that happens? The SO suggests I eat beforehand and then pick at something.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:30 AM   #314  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Saturday morning. Howling NE wind but I have to get some plants in. Lots of driving yesterday, day off today, and off again tomorrow. I am doing quite well with food during this busy period but a business contact has invited me out for lunch on Wednesday. I can't see anything I like on the menu. What do you do when that happens? The SO suggests I eat beforehand and then pick at something.
I think your SO's plan is a good one. I never go out for lunch - would be something standing on the beach as dogs leapt and tried to grab it out of my hands or sat staring intently at whatever I was eating - so I haven't had to develop any strategies.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:09 AM   #315  
Girl Gone Strong

Saturday morning at 152.6, and wishing I could hold onto that through the weekend, as I've got a doctor appointment on Monday and a weigh-in.

My hair salon appointment and a memorial service at the college where I earned my master's degree are enough to make today rather daunting for me. I'll be surrounded by fellow alumns, who include novelists and book reviewers and professors of English. I feel they've been truer to their dreams than I have.