3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #256

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Growing up, I had to endure Brussel's Sprouts. I hated them. My brother and I would dare each other to eat one. They were my Dad's favorite, so we had them often. Thankfully, my Mom usually fixed green beans for us kids. Then one day we were out to eat at a restaurant and they served roasted sprouts and talked me into trying them. And they were delicious! Since then, I've roasted them myself several times. I still like them roasted, however, I cannot eat them leftover--they have to be eaten right then. Anyway, I halve them, place them in a baggie with olive oil, shake it around, put them on a pan, salt and pepper them and roast them for 15-20 minutes until they're beginning to brown. Quite good, and I don't find them bitter at all.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #257
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks, Allison. What temperature?
Old 04-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #258

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Between 450-500 F

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #259
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Between 450-500 F
Thanks v much. I'll give it a go - though sprouts are practically finished now. (I also think they need frost on them to be very good.)

Night, all. An early start tomorrow to have a check-up with the physio.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #260
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/126/125

Height: 5'2"

I too loathed brussels sprouts for decades thanks to a mom who never met a vegetable she couldn't boil into submission. Then one year, as DH kept making them for himself and offering me one (and me wrinkling my nose and saying no thanks), he tried a recipe calling for sauteeing in sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar and lime juice. They smelled less noxious than usual, so I tried one. That was ~8 years ago, and I've never looked back. I love them now in all kinds of ways, especially roasted. I have to admit though, that the older I get, the more I like bitter-ish things (black espresso coffee, grapefruit, collard greens and beer are all flavors I hated when younger and enjoy now).

You don't drown in the river by falling in, but by failing to get back up.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #261
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)158/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Friday morning, consistent at 156.7. I won't lie and say I'm not disappointed. I always think hunger ought to lead to some kind of result. Also, when I got home from work, there was a not-quite-dead-yet waterbug in the hallway. I hadn't seen one since the basement was repainted several months ago. There's probably no getting rid of them because of our steam heating system through the buildings, but I'd been hopeful.

I turned around my short-term assignment yesterday, and those six documents went out. The web pages should go up today.

It's almost 6 AM and there's a robin singing. I need to get to the gym -- apparently that is what keeps me below 160 lbs.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #262

S/C/G: 178/120/120

Height: 5'5"

I hated almost all vegetables as a kid. The only ones I would eat were corn and potatoes. My parents would heat veggies up from a can and then set a timer for me to finish them. If I didn't finish by the time the timer went off, I was spanked. It's no wonder I have food issues. I have learned to love most veggies now, once I learned that can be cooked fresh and roasted!

Tummy is still queasy. It's putting a damper in my workout plans. I did do the elliptical yesterday but had wanted to go to Hot Pilates, but thought it unwise. I'm hoping for UJAM this afternoon but jumping and dancing won't go well if my tummy isn't right. I'll see.

Weight is at 133. Hope to make some further progress on that this weekend as the weather is supposed to be nice, and dh is gone, so NO EXCUSES.

2017 workout goals:

200 Bikram yoga classes

400 workouts minimum

So far:

48 bikram yoga classes
120 workouts total
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #263
Cancun Bound

S/C/G: 190/149/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Another who hated sprouts as a kid and loves them as an adult. I roast them like Allison, with oil, spices. Sometimes fresh garlic or bacon bits, parmesan cheese. I like them roasted to crispy. I do like them leftover, though - I find them really good cold. DH still won't eat them. He remembers his mom boiling them mushy and making the house smell.

My Long Goal Story Post|

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #264
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

One more Brussels Sprouts lover. DW splits them; adds oils and spices; and toasts them in a stove top pan.

We just love them. There's never a chance to try them as leftovers, LOL.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 9 years

BillBlueEyes is offweb from Sunday,
16July2017 until Thursday, 27July2017
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #265
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/157.2/149 for now

Height: 5'7.5"

160.4 this morning. Eating sanely and well. Went for a 1 hour walk last night and thought about my obstacles and tendency to remain stationary. And today I swam for 45 minutes and discovered everything still works. I fell for the "started period" excuse last night and went off plan for several indulgences and then realized that what I truly needed was a couple of Aleve, not to eat. Noted. That's what initiated the long walk.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #266

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
160.4 this morning. Eating sanely and well. Went for a 1 hour walk last night and thought about my obstacles and tendency to remain stationary. And today I swam for 45 minutes and discovered everything still works. I fell for the "started period" excuse last night and went off plan for several indulgences and then realized that what I truly needed was a couple of Aleve, not to eat. Noted. That's what initiated the long walk.
Becky. It's hard to be objective about ourselves and to see the obvious solution sometimes.

Dagmar

Living life simply and slowly is my goal now

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:17 AM   #267
Girl Gone Strong

Saturday morning, at 155.8, waking later than usual and finding it hard to get out of bed.

HR reached out to me on Friday. They are setting up an interview for me with another department head. I'd communicated with him weeks ago, and I'm not sure why he's responding now, after a long delay. He wanted to know if my managers knew that I was looking around internally. I told HR that no, I felt that informing my managers would be like crossing a bridge, and I had not heard enough from the other department head yet to make me so sure of myself that I'd start going over that bridge.

This weekend, I need to put something new and interesting inside my head, preferably not mediated by my laptop screen.

Last edited by saef; 04-22-2017 at 01:53 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #268
in development

At work all day, hoping to get a lot done in the quiet.

My new idea is this. I pack my food and label at what time I'm going to eat it. The decision has been made so that's one more little thing I don't have to think about. And it's not on a list or in a notebook which I'm not going to look at or probably even update - that's because I'm surrounded by other bits of paper as I work.

The broader outline of the food week is on the chalkboard in the kitchen. That's coming together but we're not quite there yet.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #269
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/126/125

Height: 5'2"

131 today for the 2nd day in a row, and my pants waistbands are ever-so-slightly looser. After 6+ weeks of mostly <1400 calorie days, finally a downward trend. It's amazing how consistently I have to maintain a deficit for weight to shift even slightly these days. Not coincidentally, my job is also slightly more tolerable these days; we're all getting more proficient at using the new electronic medical record system, my new study coordinator is starting to become a bit more independent and confident, and I told my chair that I simply wasn't going to write another paper or grant proposal until at least mid-summer, because so many things had gone wrong at work for so long that I was completely burned out.

You don't drown in the river by falling in, but by failing to get back up.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #270
Girl Gone Strong

Sunday, back up to 156.7. That is dispiriting. In spite of all the things I did yesterday to reduce my list of tasks, and how I kept moving, and how long I let myself get hungry, and how many times I stopped myself from eating because I wasn't motivated by hunger, I was just avoiding an action or thought by reaching for food.