Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-31-2016, 04:48 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat: October 31 - November 6

An unseasonably warm day allowed putting away the lawn furniture. One of my jobs was to carry a wooden pallet down to the basement. Wooden pallets are wonderful for old houses with basement floors that can suck up water even when not actually wet.

Tonight is the usual challenge for me facing the abundance of Halloween candy. I've got to constrain my nibbling of our own batch, as well as that of the neighbors who I wander out to chat with. I'm glad that Halloween only comes once a year.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning!

I'm dong well with the Halloween candy. I have had it in the house for a week, put away in the closet, and have had no desire for it. Last night I put out about 8-10 small chocolate bars in the Halloween candy bowl - a small cat head thing - and I only had 2. And that was at DH's insistence.

Tonite, after the kids have gone, will be the challenge. We generally don't have many kids come and have leftovers. Haven't found anywhere to take them. DH usually hoovers up most of them but I have my share. I think I'll go to bed early and leave him to it.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Luckily I can bring my leftover candy to work and it gets snarfed up quickly. I made an unspoken rule with myself many years ago to abstain from Halloween candy and I've stuck to it. It's on top of the fridge for now. Dh won't abstain but that's his business. He brought home amazing Belgian chocolate from Belgium so I will have two small pieces of that. Much more worth it. We've had rain off and on for days. Hopefully it will hold off for the trick or treaters. We will see how Ellie (the anxious Doberman) does. Last year was her first Halloween and dh and I went out of town. We had a pet sitter who kept the lights off. This year we are going to see how she does. I'll give her some calming treats before. Dh is working pretty late so I hope he gets home before they start coming.

I'm dressed up in a costume for work. We have a Halloween parade. We will see how many kids know who I am. I told them I was going to be a book character. I am dressed as the cat from "If you give a cat a cupcake". Should be easy sleuthing as I'm carrying the book and a giant (fake) cupcake.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Happy Halloween! Not dressing up (hate it) and probably won't have any trick or treaters. I'll take some candy home from the office just in case and will return it to the office in the morning if we still have it around. No worries there.

We had a really nice evening last night at our monthly wine dinner. We've "graduated" to the head table where I'm afraid the woman running it is hoping I'll volunteer to help out. I don't really want to. I'll donate to the charities that are being sponsored but I really don't have any desire to help in the planning of the dinners. We'll see if she approaches me or not. Anyway, the weather was supposed to be nice but we had a weird turn mid-day. It got really dark and cloudy and then very windy and the dinner was outside. Apparently, they did set up indoors just in case, but it all cleared up about 15 minutes before it started. So much nicer being outdoors as you can carry on a better conversation. Indoors, when you have upwards of 70 people or more, it can get really noisy.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post

We had a really nice evening last night at our monthly wine dinner.
Is this Dining for Women, or something similar that's local? I went to a Dining for Women presentation and liked the idea, but haven't attended a dinner yet.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
Is this Dining for Women, or something similar that's local? I went to a Dining for Women presentation and liked the idea, but haven't attended a dinner yet.
No, this is a local charity run by a woman who thought it up. It is called Wine Women PSP (PSP being the airport code for Palm Springs). And while it's called Wine Women, it allows men as members as well. Each month we go to a different restaurant (although there seem to be a bunch in steady rotation) and a charity is chosen for which a portion of the ticket price goes directly to the charity and the charity members are invited free of charge and they promote their charity and try to drum up more donations.

I've also been introduced to an international one called Confrerie de la Chaine des Rotisseurs which sounds a bit too ostentatious for me.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:09 AM   #7  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Still travelling about. Yesterday was a wonderful day: 20C/68F with autumn colours and no breeze.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Still travelling about. Yesterday was a wonderful day: 20C/68F with autumn colours and no breeze.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote