Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-26-2016, 05:36 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat: September 26 - October 2

Two eating events in one day is too many for me. Maintenance level eating is easier for me with mundane, home food.

We toured a tiny, tiny house for sale nearby. We told the realtor that we were just gawkers. We spent our time noting how carefully the house was staged. For example, there were no dining room chairs - which would have made obvious that the house was really small. As well as no trash cans or clothes hampers. The backyard 'garden' had concrete garden urns and decorations dropped in. It was one big stage set.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning

I too am a "house gawker" Bill. I go to open houses around the area where I live to get an idea of what houses similar to mine are selling for and how they are staged. In Toronto staging is a big business and most realtors can get quite extreme with it. One of my clients had to get her dog out of the house every time there was a showing.

My realtors weren't so extreme but we had the good fortune to not be living in the house we were selling. With the current house it will be a little trickier when we do sell. Trixie is easily removed and walked but I don't know what we'll do with Natalie. The plan is for me not to be working so that should make presenting the house easier.

This isn't happening for a couple of years but I'm already getting rid of clutter and looking at what I'll remove and store for the sale period.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lately, we've been hooked on HGTV shows like Property Brothers, Love it or List it, Fixer Upper and Flip or Flop. It's really interesting how much can be done with a house that appears to have no potential as long as you're willing to put some money into it. It makes me want to do it myself.

My brother found something interesting at my parent's old house. He found a letter to my grandmother stating that the writer had contacted UCLA and sold my grandfather's recordings to them for their archives (I think my grandfather died in 1958). My grandfather had formed a quartet in SLC, Utah and they played on radio shows and for different events. It's be interesting to hear them if the archives still exist (which my brother said they do--he installed a computer system for them years back and he said their archive library was extensive).

It's Monday morning and it looks like it's going to be a long, dreary day.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Love the HGTV shows too but I certainly don't understand the Tiny Home craze. I could never dream of living that way.

My weight is up, up and up, but I'm hoping it comes down over the next two weeks. Next week is my bookfair which usually helps my weight and this week I'm having all my regular classes, prepping for the book fair, setting up the bookfair Thursday afternoon and opening the bookfair for Teacher Previews on Friday (Friday is staff development so no students).

If my weight isn't considerably down after the next two weeks, I will have to reevaluate what I'm doing and make some changes.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #5  

Quote:
Love the HGTV shows too but I certainly don't understand the Tiny Home craze. I could never dream of living that way.
Agreed! I did live in our old RV for five weeks when our first house sold and our new house wasn't built yet. The first week was fun but it got old really fast!
Old 09-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

What I find ironic is how the same people who are squeeing over tiny homes look down their noses at manufactured homes.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Since I am living in a hotel room, and my actual apartment is NY size, and I have lived in NY-sized apartments for years, I am wondering what is the square footage for a tiny home, and how my living spaces, past & present, compare with it.

The office is actually emptying out early today with people talking about watching the debates tonight.

I will not watch. I am very afraid. Someone tell me about it afterward.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #8  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

The house we toured had about 1100 square feet, plus 300 square feet for the machinery in the basement. All was stacked on three floors above the basement. Essentially, it was three rooms vertically stacked. The master bathroom, however, had four shower heads! The 'soaking tub' had a high rain shower plus a shower head on a flexible tube. The large tiled shower stall had two heads facing each other from opposite walls - presumably for wet romantic times. All in a space with no room for a clothes hamper or a chair.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:33 AM   #9  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I think I'll measure up our house. I think it's quite small.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

My 2 BR/2 BA manufactured home has 1350 square feet, not counting the lanai and the utility/storage shed. I would not want to try to live with another person in anything smaller.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Officially hubby and I have 1200 sq. ft. approx. Plus two sheds in the backyard. And an unfinished basement.

We were renting one bedroom apartments before this. To us this house is BIG.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I think the criteria for the true tiny houses (from the TV show) is UNDER 500 sq ft, with many of them being around 300 sq ft. They do crazy things like you put the toilet seat down and it doubles as a stove top (making that up but truly it is like that).

We've lived in all size houses. Our last house in Houston was 3200 sq ft and it was HUGE to us. We had just bought it before being transferred to S. Africa. We were so sad to leave, but ended up in a house in S. Africa almost 6000 sq. ft! Then we moved here to expensive California, and were dismayed at what we could afford (plus we had tons of furniture to move AND my mom's furniture as we sold her house after her passing and had her stuff too). Our house here is 1881 sq ft, which we initially thought was small, but now that our girls are gone, it is more than big enough and we have several rooms we barely use.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

(Shyly poking head in)

Hey, y'all! I'm seeing many familiar names, although no worries if you don't remember me. I posted mostly in the regular weight loss support boards and calorie counters, with some participation in the Maintainers group. I guess the last time I was regularly posting was . . . 2014? Maybe 2013? Ahem.

I put a longer post up in Weight Loss Support, but the short version is I'm back, at 142 (up from lowest "maintenance" weight of 120 in 2011-2012, but down from the high of 158 in January of this year). I'm trying to figure out how to get and stay in a range that is healthy, sustainable, and comfortable. 142 isn't it, so the short-term goal is 135.

I'm still in Atlanta (speaking of, is Shannon still around?). I got married last year, which has been mostly great. My father passed away unexpectedly about a month after the wedding, and those two things combined really knocked my eating faaaaar off track for a while. Life just keeps getting in the way of my weight loss plans, huh? I guess I have to lose weight while living life, huh?

The support here has always been outstanding, and I honestly thought about y'all while I was gone. At the same time, facing up to the weight gain made it really, really hard to decide to come back. Until, this morning, it just wasn't hard anymore. It was something necessary.

I hope you're all doing well! I'm so amazed, and encouraged, by your dedication and perseverance and hard work. This is a great group of people and I'm glad to be around again.

Last edited by JenMusic; 09-28-2016 at 02:20 PM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #14  

Hi, Jen. I kinda/sorta remember you. And yes, Shannon is still here.

If you're struggling (like many of us maintainers) to lose a few pounds, we have another thread you can check out: Let's just Lose-lose-lose
Old 09-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Hey, Jen! I was just thinking about you this week, as a matter of fact. I'm still around, and still live pretty near where you work if you are in the same place. Congrats on getting married! And sorry about your dad. Sometimes life does get in the way.

A lot of us are higher than we want to be, definitely check out the thread Allison listed.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 09-28-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote