Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #16  
Workin' It

Speaking of cats.... My 15 year old cat has started pooping in inappropriate places. I have no idea what to do. I think it is when she is mad about things like no snacks or dirty litter box or whatever, but this weekend she went in the breakfast room while DH was on the sofa not ten feet away and had just been petting her. I'm not happy. Any suggestions? Spray bottle?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Shannon,

1st, vet to make sure there isn't anything wrong on the inside.
2nd, if not sick, my vet suggested moving her into a bathroom with food, water and litter box for three days to "retrain" to the litter box. Basically in the bathroom during the night and when you're not home.
3rd, I also tried Dr Delsy's cat attract for the litter, but basically it is just catnip that you sprinkle on the litter
4th, if nothing else works, and it seems like it is anxiety, try the Pet Releaf.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

JZJ. that was an amazing trail marathon you ran last week! Where exactly was it? It sounds like something I'd like to do as a hike. 5600 feet of gain is bound to give you sore legs if you haven't been climbing 3000 or 4000 feet every weekend or a couple of times a week!

Chris, it is good to hear from you! I remember you from when I first joined this forum. Begging pardon if I'm wrong, but I think some of the people here are trying to lose around 20 pounds, so it would be fine if you stayed here and chatted with us! Losing is a lot like maintenance if you ask me. It takes daily discipline and persistence. I have maintained for a few years by weighing almost every day and taking the unpleasant action necessary if I'm over red line. And it's only unpleasant in my sweets-craving mind, because it means I eat 2100 calories and don't cheat.

I'll be joining the internet car shoppers soon. My Corolla has over 235,000 and runs very warm on hills, I've had this problem "fixed" before and don't want to sink more money into it. It's not a very good hiking car. My thinking is to get a Subaru Outback, which gets decent mileage and is large enough for me to sleep in. Would CarMax get me a Subaru? Good luck to those who are currently shopping! I'll be waiting for reports.

Allison, I wonder what is in the CBD oil. Could it contain a touch of laudanum?

Michele, consider your friend's move as a future travel opportunity with free accomodations. Hip pain is weird. It could be something with bruising but probably bursitis or inflamed tendons or ligaments, especially if you did not fall to cause bruising.

Our cat condo has solved all peeing/pooping problems because it gives them a place to be if we cannot supervise them. If not in their assigned condo, they are on the bed with DH or outside. With seven cats it is impossible to supervise all of them at once.

My dog Cooper was frantic to come in last night and we could not understand why. Then DH looked at the weather radar and noticed a red thunderstorm cell about 20 miles west of us and headed our way. We could hear absolutely nothing but we let the dogs in. About 15 minutes later the wind picked up.

Right now I'm woozy from a Tylenol 3 I took earlier. It was prescribed for pain but the tooth surgery has not hurt. However last night I started coughing and couldn't stop. I knew I needed codeine and the Tylenol 3's have it! I wasn't sure if it would work in pill form, but I took one. Within 2 minutes the coughing stopped dead! I was amazed by how fast a pill worked. My cough, laryngitis, and fever are parting gifts from my SF cousin, who kept saying her allergies were acting up. Next time I'll be more suspicious. I haven't been sick in years!

I will be probably be starting chemo the week of June 6. It will be cycolphosphamide/taxotere every three weeks for four treatments. The visit with my local MO after getting the second opinion (which SHE ordered) was very disturbing. She is obviously pissed the SF doctor did not agree with her about chemo. When I asked about Neulasta shots to improve my immune system after each treatment, she told me that the insurance would not pay for it because I'm not 65 and I don't have co-morbidities. (I didn't know that). She added that she would NOT falsify her records in any way to get the shots for me! Heck, I did not ask her to in any way!! At one point during the appointment she looked at me and said "I know you will fight and argue until you get what you want, so just tell me what you want!" and she put down the clipboard with a bang! I don't know how the second opinion was worded. Maybe it had a condescending tone? And she seems to hate when patients read things or chat with other cancer patients on support forums. I get the distinct impression she does not like me. I would switch doctors except for the fact that it would delay my treatment even more and she has already managed to delay it by more than 6 weeks. Fortunately all the nurses are wonderful and I'll be seeing them during my treatments, not the doctor. It's so bizarre - I love my surgeon and radiation oncologist and get along with them very well, questions, internet research and all. My surgeon even put in her notes that I was "a very pleasant 61 year old". Following this latest meeting with the medical oncologist, I felt more emotional and upset than I have throughout this whole cancer journey.

Thanks for reading my vent! I hope everyone has a week of reduced stress and reduced (or the same) weight!

Last edited by HowlinAtTheMoon; 05-24-2016 at 06:10 PM.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Howlin', switch doctors. Your treatment will be hard enough without a doc who is opposing what you've decided to do and has taken a dislike to you. Don't let the delay put you off.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:51 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Howlin', switch doctors. Your treatment will be hard enough without a doc who is opposing what you've decided to do and has taken a dislike to you. Don't let the delay put you off.
I second that. I imagine cancer treatment is hard enough physically and emotionally that you don't need an argument with the doctor every time you stand up for yourself. Support, not combat, is what's needed here.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #21  

Quote:
When I asked about Neulasta shots to improve my immune system after each treatment, she told me that the insurance would not pay for it because I'm not 65 and I don't have co-morbidities. (I didn't know that).
Exactly why I hate all the ads on TV touting this drug or that drug with the "Ask your doctor if ___ is right for you." You asked. Why did she get upset? If it isn't right, she should simply explain why. IMO drug companies should not be paying to put ads on TV--that only increases the price of already expensive medicines.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Sorry, Alice. That would be horribly upsetting. I agree with the others-- change doctors!!! Not even an option. In the long run, you will be much happier. I wouldn't trust her one iota with my care. If I'm not mistaken, you have a very small chance of it returning, right? So, a short delay won't hurt you.

I didn't injure my hip that I know of but it could be a number of things. Years ago when I was heavier, it hurt all the time, and now it rarely does. I have osteopaenia and stenosis, so one or both of those could be contributing. It's feeling somewhat better and I have a chiropractor appointment today so hopefully that will help too.

Shannon-- on your kitty issue-- is she constipated at all? My older kitties are having that issue and they will sometimes strain and go out of the box-- though nearby at least....I've been putting catlax on their food to help.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #23  
Workin' It

Oh Alice, that is annoying. A doctor has to understand that people often seek second opinions and not take it personally. I'm sorry. I would also suggest changing doctors if it is at all doable.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #24  

Hi again all,
Thanks for welcoming me back, but for the next few months I will be on the "diet" side more than the "Maintenance" side. When you hear from me again, it'll mean I'm ready to maintain. Looking forward to summer. I just rode my bike again to the top of Independence Pass near Aspen, 12,093'. Nice to know I can still do a 4200' ascent on a bicycle into an Arctic zone with 5' of snow except for the road, even with my unneeded 20 pounds!
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Thanks everyone, for your concern and advice to get a different doctor. I would love to, but the problem with changing oncologists is that there IS a time limit by which I have to start chemo, which is 6 months past surgery. Right now I am almost 5 months past surgery. Any little snafu, either with doctors or insurance, could put me past the limit. I just can't take the chance. I have had so many delays already! But I will switch as soon as the chemo is over with. Meanwhile, I'll rely on my DH and my great friends for emotional support (this means you!)

This illness I have is strange. Bronchitis, fever, little energy, no appetite. My GP who I saw on Thursday was concerned it might be Valley Fever. Those of you who live in the west might be familiar with it. It's caused by airborne fungal spores. My GP said they are seeing an epidemic of it right now. But, good news (for me), bad news (for my hiking friends) - all three of the people I hiked with last weekend have come down with similar symptoms. It's good news for me because Valley Fever is not contagious. I won't have the blood results back from the special lab until next week, but I'm not stressing about it.

I am feeling a little better every day. Today I thought I'd take advantage of needing more calories to go out to breakfast with DH. I was craving some wonderful fluffy pancakes or a waffle with whipped cream - you get the idea. Tulare (California) is not known for its fine dining and after seeing a huge line at IHOP, we ended up at Denny's. Bad idea It's the only place I've ever been where the pancakes were so tough and rubbery you couldn't cut them with a fork! Oh well, guess I'll have to make my own tomorrow.

Allison, I know you are already gone but I hope you have a wonderful vacation!!

Shannon, my doctor is the one who INSISTED I go for a second opinion before she would consent to chemo. I asked the second opinion doc if he knew any good oncologists near Bakersfield, but he didn't. Bakersfield can be a real armpit town sometimes.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #26  

I don't know if I should be amazed or concerned. I'm sure it's just because I put my itinerary on my Google calendar, but I got two notifications on my phone this morning, one to let me know my flight leaves at 3:32 pm and that it is currently 62 degrees and cloudy in London. But it does have a bit of a feeling that Big Brother is looking over my shoulder, if you know what I mean.