Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #16  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Howlin! Good to see you. I can't believe it's been six weeks since your surgery. Nice gardening plans you've got. It will be a few weeks until I can properly get going. I missed planting the garlic in November so I should really hurry to get it in this month. The SW rain and wind have stopped here, thank goodness. We now have cold weather, sometimes cloudy and sometimes clear clear blue skies, sometimes cold east winds and sometimes still. You get up in the morning and look out of the window. Then you decide how many layers to put on.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #17  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Howlin', make sure you have some help lined up if you need it. Don't try to tough it out on your own. Also, just as the effects don't show up for about 3 weeks, they also linger that long after the treatments stop. Just so you're prepared.

Michele, didn't you have Ellie in training classes?

Birch, glad to hear your weather has improved, although cold.

Becky! Wow! Say good bye to that old grind! Yay!
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

JayEll-- yes, we've been through several rounds of puppy classes. Some puppies just go through destructive phases and she is hopefully growing out of it.

I was walking her yesterday when a guy we passed asked how old she was. I said almost a year and kept walking. Then I realized it was her birthday! Oops! Bad doggie mama! I then sang her happy birthday several times on the walk and we stopped by the vet to weigh her (51.2) and I gave her some special treats the vet has out. So, hopefully now that she's a big ONE year old, she will be growing out of her puppy naughtiness...

I'm at that weird point (for me) of maintenance-- if I stick to my plan and exercise, I slowly continue to lose... if I loosen the reins at all, I gain.... I'm right where I want to be weight wise. In the past, I convince myself that I shouldn't go any lower and I start to loosen the reins-- and I gain.... I have been focused on my April trip (Texas and Arizona) knowing there will likely be MANY off-plan meals and I want to give myself some wiggle room..... So, trying to remain careful. However, I think I will allow myself a treat meal this weekend and probably next week on my birthday. I thought I'd be home alone on my birthday but a work friend said we should go out to dinner and a movie, so hopefully that happens. She's sweet but a tad flaky so we will see...

I'm also not feeling great today. Allergies or a cold so I hope that doesn't derail my exercise and weekend plans. My plans are hip hop tonight (after a dog walk of course), Spin tomorrow (though I may do yoga if I'm feeling puny as it's easier to modify my efforts), and yoga Sunday. They've had a visiting teacher at yoga that I really like and her last day is Sunday so I want to take at least one more class from her.

And, if I'm not feeling yucky, I may tackle the outlet malls on Sunday to look for some clothes. I bought stuff online and none of it fits so I think I need to try stuff on in person. The outlet mall near me is very good, but it is marketed heavily in China and it is CROWDED (like many stores you have to wait in a line outside before you can enter!)..... So, I have to have the patience to tackle that.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #19  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
The outlet mall near me is very good, but it is marketed heavily in China..
??? What does marketing in China have to do with overpopulation of an outlet mall in CA?
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
??? What does marketing in China have to do with overpopulation of an outlet mall in CA?
Well...our demographics here (Silicon Valley) are heavily Indian and Asian. The school I work at is over 50% Indian and the majority of the other students are Asian. Most are first generation. Our schools are highly rated and the companies recruit by touting our schools. I've heard from many parents that many parts of India are familiar with our fairly small city and desire moving here. The outlet mall has capitalized on the wealthier Chinese travelers and they advertise there. All of the signs are in English and Chinese and cater to the travelers. Restaurants, stores, etc. When shopping at the mall, you hear very little English spoken. I'm assuming now that Chinese New Year is over, the crowds will have died down somewhat
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:40 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
I found Michele's explanation to be quite interesting. We have a suburb that is similar. My cousin lives near to it and he comments occasionally on the Asian signage. My hubby and i always are amused when we pass a large grocery store on the way to my cousin's and see it's sign- "Big Food".

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote