Maintainers Weekly Chat December 21 - December 27

• The tree is still in the back yard - we seem to be running a bit behind this year.

My major event today is that I'm to go foraging for a pot roast for our Christmas Eve dinner. Pot roast is rare around here but DW got the bug in her head that it's time to do one.

And I have to get my act together to get stuff for the Christmas stockings. Despite their adult ages, the kids have never had Christmas without stockings, so I'm on duty. Fun kind of busy.
  • I think a lot of people are "running late" for Christmas this year Bill. For us it's the unseasonably warm weather, which is back after a hint of cold and a few flurries on the weekend.

I am ready! Got everything that I have to do for the holiday done. Now I have to start training a new dog. Client brought home a rescue dog yesterday and I start walking him today! He's a northern reserve dog who lived outside so he'll be in shock for a couple of months. I'll meet him later this morning and try to take him for a walk with one of their other dogs and the boxer.

Dagmar
  • I've been behind all year, it seems to me! I've just sent off the third draft to one of my clients and I'm feeling very accomplished.

I sat in the car in the pouring rain and dozed whilst the SO did a good amount of supermarket shopping. Then it cleared to azure skies and we walked to deliver a Christmas card and made a circuit of it. Perhaps 1.5 miles and with a few stiff hills. Very nice.

I'll try and clear bills and receipts this afternoon.

ETA: no decorations up at home yet, and Christmas cards in a pile on the kitchen table. Their time will come. Perhaps tomorrow.
  • I'm also in the "late" group, but the tree is up and decorated, almost all the gifts are acquired (though none are wrapped), and zero cookies baked. I'm working Mon-Wed this week, though it's looking good for Tuesday to be a telecommute.

This week is all about rolling with whatever happens, and not falling prey to the December munchies. I have been blessed with two fruit gifts - one is a box of Royal Riviera pears and the other is a mixed box of citrus. I will pledge to start with those!
  • No tree for us again this year, but we put up outside lights two weeks ago and I got some decorations out yesterday.

We're doing beef wellington for Christmas as my kids requested. I've never done one before so we'll see how that goes. I'm doing a crockpot type pot roast the night after and butternut squash and black bean chili for Christmas eve. Last night I fixed a brisket, sliced it thin and served it with caramelized onions on sliders. Oh, was that yummy!

I usually do Christmas stockings but haven't felt the desire to go shopping this year so I didn't do them at all. The kids will each get a candy cane instead. I don't know what you guys put in stockings but I usually do mundane things like a new toothbrush, toothpaste and other toiletry things as well as some candy.
  • We put the tree up last night. Some of the gifts have been acquired and wrapped. Some will be delivered this week. Some won't make it in time. I'm also picking up some gift cards for grandkids and employees this week. Why does Christmas have to seem more stressful than joyful?

I did manage to relax with a snowshoeing and hiking trip last Friday and Saturday. I stayed in a motel overnight and enjoyed a very nice dinner. The holiday ambiance in the restaurant was perfect and the food was good too.
  • Enjoyed my first day off for my break today. Dd and I went and made tattoo appointments for tomorrow �� We had lunch out, I went to gym, took dh to PT, and grocery store.... Raining buckets all day but I'm so happy to be off!

Tomorrow we are starting grocery shopping for Christmas dinner and getting our tattoos.... Hopefully... Dh isn't thrilled with me getting (another) one.

Hope to make bikram in the morning as I may not be able to go for awhile afterwards.
  • Michele - what tattoo are you guys getting?
  • Quote: Michele - what tattoo are you guys getting?
    My dd is getting a spoon on her foot to represent unseen illnesses. I'm getting a mandala on my hip.
  • Quote: My dd is getting a spoon on her foot to represent unseen illnesses. I'm getting a mandala on my hip.
    Nice!
  • Happy Holidays!

I will be offline until Dec. 26 or so.

Dagmar