Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-13-2015, 05:57 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat July 13 - July 19

Usually I plan how to handle a party to avoid all the worst foods. Unfortunately, it was held at my house and all leftovers were headed to my fridge. There are some awfully caloric things covered in dark chocolate produced by caterers. Oh Well, I'm on track today.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Morning all

Bill I wonder if very young people save leftovers?It was an automatic thing with my family. The older generation had all been through the war and had gone hungry many times - my dad had gone hungry as a child as well. So food wasn't thrown out. Sometimes things were kept and thrown out weeks later but we just couldn't tip stuff into the garbage right after a meal.

I remember the first time I threw food out the day after a food binge. I felt really guilty about it. I've gotten over some of that but it's still hard to just chuck perfectly good food out.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

On the subject of leftovers: I always save leftovers and try to eat them within a week. My MIL, if they aren't eaten the very next day, tosses them. I was surprised about this--one time we were staying with them and they had a couple baked potatoes left over. I had one the next day for lunch and planned on eating the other one the following day, but she had tossed it. No way it could have gone bad. My sister's first husband's father refused to eat ANY leftovers. None. Ever. I thought that was weird. My kids save and eat leftovers without a problem.

That said, I did witness an interesting thing one year at Thanksgiving (not at my house). After the meal, out came the ziplock bags. Everything went into bags in single serving sizes and then everyone took home what they wanted. Therefore the host didn't have to store it all and everyone enjoyed a second turkey dinner. That makes so much sense.

Yesterday for breakfast I found some leftover tomatoes and peppers which had been huevos rancheros a few days back. I heated it, poached an egg in it, and served on a tortilla. There was too much tomato part to eat and I did throw that out. Guilty, yes, but for safety's sake it needed to go.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Love leftovers and hate when they don't get eaten and have to be tossed.

Weight is way up today. Splurged yesterday so I'll be working all week to get back down. Starting this morning with a long walk with a friend and will hopefully make body pump this afternoon.

Debating a short trip with younger dd and dh. She was wanting Disneyland but she's worried she will feel like a third wheel with us. She suggested we fly her sister in to go even though they don't get along. Probably not feasible for many reasons. Trying to think of another trip that she wouldn't feel like a third wheel. Trying not to break the bank and stay close to home either...

I'm very frustrated with a government agency that goes by three letters.... They said we owed money that we didn't really think we did. We decided to pay anyway as we may have done something accidentally incorrectly causing the error. Got a letter Friday saying we didn't pay and now they're adding penalties and interest. I sat on hold over an hour Friday afternoon and never got through so I'll be trying again today. Ugh.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #5  
Workin' It

I was pretty much wiped out the entire weekend, I'm not sure what was going on. I started to feel really tired after lunch on Friday, and for the better part of the weekend I was either dragging awake or sleeping. I don't know that there was anything wrong, just couldn't stay awake. I'm still pretty yawny today, so am trying to keep moving.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Are you still taking Benadryl?
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #7  
Workin' It

No Benadryl, Jay. I cut it out last week. I've started sneezing this afternoon and have a sinus headache overmy right eye, so I'm wondering if the overall yick feeling is coming down with a cold.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Shannon, did you get a cold? Summer colds aren't fun.

traveling michele, did you get things straightened out with IRS?

We currently have some group-related uproar because one of the group members violated the group's confidentiality... also known as gossiping. So it looks like that person will be "invited" to leave the group. I'm glad I don't have to get involved in that part.

We like leftovers! We often have them because we save part of lunch for dinner, or part of dinner for the next day. alinnell, that's weird about the baked potatoes. A potato is a "sealed container" for practical purposes.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Shannon, did you get a cold? Summer colds aren't fun.

traveling michele, did you get things straightened out with IRS?

I never said what government agency I was referring to but, yes, after a frustrating several hours of trying to reach them, I was told they did indeed have my payment and had had it since June. They couldn't explain why I still got the nasty follow up letter... Which by the way was dated in the future! It was dated Monday, and I received it Friday sounds fishy to me!

Today's hassle was bringing my car in for service. Dealer never told me they moved three weeks ago and I had a heck of a time finding them as they don't show up on gps yet. Not sure how long car will take so I got a ride home with "Marvin". I'm an anxious passenger and Marvin was quite aged...he was telling me how much gas cost in the 1940s. So... Not sure I want him to pick me up when the car is ready. Hassle there with my warranty as well. Oh well... Such is life.

Off to the gym now then puppy class tonight. Ellie graduates tonight and is supposed to do a trick at graduation. We are working on shake. We will see if she performs under pressure.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
I never said what government agency I was referring to but, yes, after a frustrating several hours of trying to reach them, I was told they did indeed have my payment and had had it since June.
Oh--sorry if I blew your cover! It just seemed obvious to me, what with being a former tax accountant. I'm glad that all is well!
Old 07-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I took my car in for it's yearly service on Monday. I was surprised they got it in the same day I called. The service was covered under the service policy I got when I leased the car. That was the good news. The bad news is that I need at least two tires (front were worn on the inside edges). DH said to go ahead and get a full set. I went into our "tire guy" yesterday for him to order the right ones and he'll call and set up an appointment when they arrive. I also need an alignment. I guess it's all good, though. DH and I are driving up to SLC in a few weeks and it'd be better to have good tires.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #12  

I'm waiting for a ride back to get my car. They said 8:00. It's after 8:30 now.... Guess 9:30 yoga is out... Hoping to get to the gym before my 1:00 hair appointment. Went to have fasting blood drawn this morning. They open at 7:00. I was there at 6:50 and was the 4th one there!

My dogs are wild this morning! Racing around barking and playing!

I'm concerned about Ellie. She is very timid in new situations. We are trying to expose her gradually but I've not had a timid dog before. I'm hoping she improves with age and exposure. She's such a sweetie once she's comfortable but she is a scaredy cat! Anyone have any great tips for a timid pup?
Old 07-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Michele Dobies generally have a "fear period" somewhere between 6-8 months of age - I was told this by the breeder of one that I walked a long time ago. Good to expose them to all sorts of things but let them decide how close they want to get to the "scary stuff". The girl I walked - Mabel - decided she was afraid of me one day and I had to devise all sorts of ways to get her to come out of her crate. The next day she bounded out of the crate when I opened the door. She wound up going through several "fear periods" during her first year. It was an interesting experience for me - very different from my own dogs and from all the labs I walked at that time.

Dagmar (we need a dog and a cat smilie)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Michele Dobies generally have a "fear period" somewhere between 6-8 months of age - I was told this by the breeder of one that I walked a long time ago. Good to expose them to all sorts of things but let them decide how close they want to get to the "scary stuff". The girl I walked - Mabel - decided she was afraid of me one day and I had to devise all sorts of ways to get her to come out of her crate. The next day she bounded out of the crate when I opened the door. She wound up going through several "fear periods" during her first year. It was an interesting experience for me - very different from my own dogs and from all the labs I walked at that time.

Dagmar (we need a dog and a cat smilie)
Thanks, Dagmar. I was hoping you might have some insight. She is a little younger than that at a little under 5 months, but good to hear it is hopefully just a phase. My dh is not concerned but I am...