Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-06-2015, 05:22 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat April 6 - April 12

It's a touch of spring to be grilling our chicken on the patio even if it's too chilly to eat out there.

Our big Easter dinner won't be for two weeks when we can get our adult kids together at the same time. So I'll face the issue of a huge celebratory meal then. Fortunately, I've stopped buying all the chocolate and candies that fill the entrance to the supermarket.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Yesterday was a standing-room-only Easter mass, in which I got a seat mostly because of my pathetic appearance leaning on a cane. My Easter dress which I bought last autumn was loose and could have been a size smaller.

I caught up on the half-season of "Mad Men" that I'd missed, and watching Peggy made me feel a little braver about a presentation that I've got to give at 10 AM today, which made me feel gloomy all day on Sunday, like a kid with a paper due. I've already written it but was rethinking it and losing faith in it.

I'm trying to think of things that are fun and that give me pleasure -- I feel like lately I just work, either on stuff for the office or on rehabilitating my leg and body. I'm not sure what all this work is getting me. Isn't my labor supposed to buy something, like a little leisure or pleasure or some kind of brief respite from worry?

Last edited by saef; 04-06-2015 at 07:29 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

We had a lovely Easter dinner at my cousin's home. His wife was very excited to be hosting both sides of the family for Easter and all the "cool" members of each family. We enjoyed the evening and I came away with eating only one extra thing - a rice crispies "nest" with 3 small chocolate eggs in it, made by my cousin's daughter - whom I call my niece for simplification.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

My kids were amazingly good at our Passover dinner Saturday. They played with their cousins nicely, didn't have any tantrums (though we had a close call when they were fighting over a toy), and ate some food. C only wanted grapes, but A ate all of her carrots and sweet potatoes, some matzoh ball soup, and a couple bites of turkey. Amazing!

Personally I fell face first into Easter candy and ate way too much chocolate this weekend. The good side of it is that I ate enough chocolate last night to feel gross about it, which will act as a good deterrent for a couple weeks.

The weather is finally nice here too! It's great to be outside again. Especially with everything being closed for Easter yesterday we had nowhere to go with the kids but outside to parks and to walk around the neighborhood.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

It was a beautiful weekend here. No golf Saturday due to a tournament on our home course. No golf Sunday due to gusty winds early in the morning which completely died off during the time we would have been golfing. If any of you watched the ANA tournament it had some issues with wind and that course is a little less windy than our own.

We had a wonderful Easter dinner: braised lamb shanks served over mashed potatoes and served with multi-colored roasted carrots. Dessert was lemon curd mousse with blueberries. Divine!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

So glad the weather is getting better for you all! My DD has been loving the NYC weather lately. That's about all I hear about lately! She's training for a HM so runs tons of miles a week and the weather is apparently perfect for it.

I've been running like crazy myself! Ran 6 miles this morning.
Had a nice Easter with DS and Future DIL. And the 3 dogs... and my DH. It was great - not too much food and decided to make strawberry shortcake instead of a decadent chocolate dessert like I would normally have on Easter.

Saef- wow - on your dress being too big. You know, most people in your situation would probably have gained a ton of weight with being trapped at home for months. I know I probably would have. You really are an inspiration with the exercising you have done and are doing now. I'm still amazed at how you did that new rules of WL for W all the way through! Keeping you in my prayers!
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I've been so busy and so tired. Finally I'm feeling pretty much back to normal, and now I see I haven't posted in a few weeks. How time flies.

So, I finished the Bataan March 26.2 miles with a 40 lb pack in 9 hours and 12 minutes. Second in my age group. It was grueling, especially mile 19 on. But it's like losing weight, you just have to persevere and it will finally be done. The 14 hour drive home from New Mexico to California was almost as bad.

I told work I was retiring before I left for New Mexico. My last day is May 1. Prospects to take over this job seem to be few and far between, and the dept will try to get me hired as Extra Help on an emergency basis for 9 more months. So I will be RBW (retired but working) for a while longer yet. I still have mixed feelings about such a huge life change. Now I will actually have to do the things I have been telling myself I want to do for the past 20 years.

My weight has stayed good except for a lot of overeating yesterday at the Easter buffet, which continued into the evening somehow. I need to have a 200-300 cal deficit for the rest of the week to break even!

DH flew to our son's Basic Training graduation a few hours after I got back from New Mexico. The extra chores left me with zero time and energy. My son is now at Ft Eustis in VA waiting for his gas turbine training. Next DH is going to San Antonio for his daughter's birthday. That's okay, he'll owe me a few weekends where I can go backpacking and he can stay home

Saef, I'm sure it's hard to think about leisure activities right now, but once the snow is gone you might be more mobile and ready for fun and leisure, which you could at least start planning now. If you could take two days for something fun, what would you do? Very nice about the big dress!

Dagmar, you did an outstanding job with sensible eating on Easter.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote