Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat March 2 - March 8

March is a hopeful month.

We have an inch of snow outside right now for me to shovel. An inch is welcomed this winter since it's not 18 inches. Besides, the snow is getting dirty so an inch returns us to the clean look.

I've done well with snacks under control for the last five days. Feeling good about that. Almonds are sooooooooooooo healthy - if a small handful is good for me then a large handful must be better. At least, that's what I think as I chomp.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Bill Glad to hear you have the snacking under control and that there's just a bit of snow to shovel. We are expecting another 10 cm (2.2 cm=1 inch) between today and tomorrow. DH got the snowblower fixed and tuned up so he'll be happy that it will get some more use.

I would rather not have any more snow because of the "slip factor". The current snow is now packed down and has somewhat slippery icy paths trodden into it. It's much easier to walk on the paths but not if they are covered by fresh snow. Hoping this is the LAST significant snowfall this winter - I'm done with all of this.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I can't get an answer to my question of how much rain we got yesterday, but it did rain steadily all day long--at least 16 hours of rain. It was never very hard but it was steady and we really do need it here. They say it isn't enough to put a dent in our drought, though. The forecast is for more showers today although there are only sparse clouds around the mountains this morning which usually means we won't get anything in the valley.

I know what you mean about the "dirty" part of snow, Bill. That was one of my biggest dislikes of living in a snowy city. All the pollution and grit that stuck to the melting mounds of snow on the roadways--always so depressing when all you want at that time is blue skies.

Ah, snacking...DD brought Girl Scout cookies with her (but thankfully didn't open). But that made me think of the few nights when our dinner hasn't been very big and the desire for a morsel a few hours later makes DH scour the pantry for something. I ended up buying 3 boxes myself this weekend. DD and I had a discussion as to what is the best flavor and I have to go with shortbread because they aren't so sweet. She disagreed, but I don't remember what her favorite one is. I believe once the shortbread are gone I won't be eating any of the other two. They're just too sweet. Strange for me to say this--I used to really love sweet things. Not any more. I'm all for savory any day.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

We've got at least three inches of new snow on top of the same packed-down, icy barrier reefs that Dagmar is experiencing up north in Toronto.

The litany of delayed openings for schools was endless this morning. They can't close because they've already run through their snow days.

Also we've just had the coldest February on record for NY since during the Great Depression.

I'll have to venture out with my cane and my mother's arm to head off to physical therapy later this afternoon. I hope temperatures will rise and melt some of this off.

Meantime I was served notice over the weekend that, two weeks from now, I'll have to go visit an orthopedic surgeon whom I don't know to conduct an "independent examination" of me. He's on retainer for the insurance company, so I'm assuming, from following the money, that his goal will be to refute my surgeon's verdict and minimize the extent of my injury and the amount of rehab still required. I'm not looking forward to that vaguely adversarial and inimical appointment but that's how the course of lawsuits runs.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #5  

saefI wonder what it must be like for the insurance person who has to try to take money away from people who, after diligently paying IN to insurance for years and years, now need some of their money back to recover from something shocking and debilitating. Not a job I'd be comfortable with. I hope you get the best possible outcome from them, which would be lots of time and money to fully recover.

February was brutal here too - coldest on record EVER for Toronto. I wasn't so knocked out by each of the coldest days but the cumulative effect was depressing and weakened me considerably.

Today I am overjoyed to be wearing hiking boots rather than snow ones and to be able to take off my gloves when handing out dog treats. Those little things in life do add up.

Dagmar
Old 03-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Every Monday I hope I will see the last of the postings about snow and horrific weather here.... Maybe next Monday?

We spent the weekend in Napa. Fun.... allergies or a cold have kicked in though and have felt crummy since yesterday. Weight is way, way, way up again. I know much of it is sodium. I had to change shoes this morning as my other ones were killing my feet.

Just have to make it through today at work and then I have tomorrow off! It's my birthday and the library is being used for picture day so I decided to use one of my two days off per year. Dh is also taking it off and we are planning on morning yoga, brunch out, a foot massage and sushi for dinner. Can't wait! Just hope I feel decent. After tomorrow, I'll crack back down and get my weight back where I want it to be.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #7  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Littlest DS (9) has been vomiting and miserable with a GI bug since yesterday morning. I feel very sorry for him, and simultaneously want to stay as far away as possible to avoid getting it myself.

The weather has warmed up considerably, to the middle-upper 20s since Saturday. What with the longer days, I can almost believe in spring. I swear, each winter feels longer and harder than the one before.

Bill, almonds (and peanut butter) have been my downfall in recent months. I had sworn, after emptying the last bag in record time about a month ago, that I was done buying more for at least a few months. Instead, when I went to Trader Joe's last week, I stocked up again. Stupid. I lie to myself that because I'm allowed a bit of stand-alone fats on "low carb" days, I can eat 2 ounces and be just fine. Then I am deeply saddened when the scale creeps up instead of down.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Michelle, Happy Birthday! I have another friend with the same bday, I need to contact her. I had completely forgotten about her until I thought about the date of your birthday.

Neurodoc, oh gosh it autocorrected to neurotic and had to fix it! I know just what you mean! I have never been a very good nurse to anyone sick in my house. Of course I felt terrible for them, but afraid to catch anything. I am extremely squeamish when it comes to anything at all medical. Once I almost fainted when the doctor showed me my DDs X-ray! But you are a doctor, so I'm sure you are okay, just leery of getting sick.

Saef, oh wow! I didn't realize it was worse than last year! My DD is sick today also and sick of the weather! She has complained more this year about the cold than the last three years combined. Good luck at the other doctor. It sounds like what you suspect.

Dagmar, you rocked that class! Love the Stones!

I ran a 5k on Sunday and placed third in my age group. Also on Saturday I biked and wasn't dropped from the group! Today one knee feels a little sore, which is weird because I was fine after the race. Running a 10k in two weeks when DD is home for spring break.

Regarding last weeks discussion on entitlement, I liked Saef's analysis that kids think they are exempt. The rules don't apply to me! It is quite common and idk where it comes from. I have always been a rule abider, as have my kids. Sometimes too much so. My DH is not like that. It's not that he's running around thinking he is entitled but he will break little rules, and the three of us cringe.

I have to say I teach great kids...but I'm lucky to teach AP and honors classes. These kids work hard and want to get into college and succeed in life. But I've heard of so many kids not like that. Most of the parents at my current school are very supportive. Sadly, for whatever reason, society has decided to blame teachers for how kids are, and people who have never taught can come up with new theories and methods that will supposedly work because they went to school so they know how schools work. If a child comes home with a bad grade or report, instead of asking the child what's going on, parents now blame the teacher. It's really sad for everyone. I'm just lucky that with what I teach (programming) most of kids are very interested in it so they try hard. What Michelle had happen with the library books is not unusual. Parent lying for their kids is not uncommon. Again, it's just sad and scary.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm feeling gloomy this morning, thinking this is a day without much to look forward to.

During the past two weeks, I've been faithful about getting to the gym on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Seeing and talking with people whom I know has revived my spirits. Pedaling on the recumbent bike every day is definitely helping loosen my knee and strengthen my injured leg.

But with another snowfall in the forecast for this afternoon, and sleet and ice forecast to follow, I'll probably be confined indoors after work and all night.

This is the Winter That Will Never End, the Winter in which We Can't Have Nice Things, the Winter in which God Laughs at Any Plans We Make.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

The sun is out this morning in Boston, saef - there's hope for the world.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

The sun may be out in Boston, but we have a forecast of ice accumulation this morning here in Indy. Sigh. We got about 8 inches of snow over the weekend too!

In good news though, I got promoted at work! No change in my responsibilities as I was already doing the job, but I get a really big raise. Perhaps I will be able to convince DH that we can afford to replace our 2001 Civic with a car with third row seating, though I admit I balk quite a bit at the prices and gas mileage of minivans and big SUVs.

Work has been totally nuts lately but seems more relaxed this week, probably because I'm waiting for feedback on document reviews instead of actually preparing things for review. Maybe I'll even make it to the gym today. Weight has been creeping down as I've been pretty good about sticking to plan.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Congrats Jessica! Great news all around!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Happy Birthday, Michele! Hope you are feeling okay and enjoy your day!

Jessica, congrats on the promotion. I got the opposite last year - tons more responsibilities but the same pay. But at least I got an office and that's why I'm still working. The office lets me work in peace. I also feel like I'm making a difference finally.

Sharon, good going on the 5K and the biking! Just give the knee a few days and it will probably feel okay. I am training for the Bataan Death March on March 22 in White Sands NM. I will be carrying 38 pounds (35 plus food and water) for 26.2 miles. I have never done any kind of walking or running event before. Since my knee won't tolerate running, this seemed like the perfect type of event for me and it is giving me a reason to train and something to be excited about.

Saef, do you have any crafty type hobbies? Your weather seems like a good excuse to crochet or paint or ?

Andrea, stay well!

Dagmar, I almost envy your cold tolerance. I grew up in New York but have lived in California for 30+ years and have no cold tolerance especially since I got rid of my natural insulation
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #14  

My last walk today - Trixie and 3 others - took over 2 hours. 45 minutes walking with the rest of the time spent manouvering through the snowfall that started just before 1 p.m. It's stopped now and the accumulation isn't too bad but boy am I disheartened. I know it's only March but I just want to get into bed and not get out until around June. I have nothing left to power myself through the rest of this winter. Been running on empty for so long I don't feel like I'm ever going to not feel totally tired and drained.

The only bright spot in all of this is that it was such a slog to get home I didn't stop at the grocery store for cookies or candy. Too tired to do anything but get home.

Dagmar
Old 03-03-2015, 09:52 PM   #15  

Height: 5'7"

Saef, hope you were able to get out. DD is miserable up there too. I think it's some senioritus kicking in and she's sick also. Spring has got to be soon for you guys and when it comes it will be glorious.

Jessica, congratulations!!!

Alice, wow that sounds like quite a challenge. Knee feels better today. I ran this morning and was going to stop if it hurt but it was okay.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote