Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat June 29 - July 5

The weather reports predicted 19 hours of rain yesterday. We got most of that; it was a long, long, rainy day. Fortunately, the wind did less damage than I was guessing.

The week has included several evening having dinner on the patio, with watermelon even. That feels so summer to me. I find it easier to stay on my food plan during the summer than during the winter - perhaps because there are less calories in a slice of watermelon than in a handful of almonds.

July 4th is coming up next Saturday (for those of us celebrating in the U.S.). Oddly enough, the papers report that restrictions on firework sales are being slightly lifted in some states.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Good Morning!

Our big July holiday is this Wed July 1. We're hoping the weather improves as they have an impressive fireworks display in a park close to our home that we go to every year.

I'm home from the dogsit and it didn't go well. But it's over - except I have to advise the people who are there now and walk the dogs 2X per day - and I can get on with the process of prepping for our kitchen reno.

That starts next Monday. Not sure what we're doing with the fridge so I'm buying minimal fresh food this weekend. I wish they wouldn't put all those caloric items in ready-made salads - craisins, cheese, bacon, nuts, etc. - but we'll figure out some sort of relatively healthy eating plan.

Good week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Hopefully our new A/C unit will be installed today. It's nerve wracking to wonder if the next time it cycles on if the condenser will kick on or not. Thankfully we had no issues with it this weekend.

We had a tiny bit of rain ourselves which helped contain our local fire. It is now 50% and all evacuation notices have been cancelled. I hope they get it completely out this week.

The cloud cover and humidity helped keep it "cool" here. I think one day it was under 100 degrees which is nice for us.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

What happened at your dog sit, Dagmar?

I'm back from my cruise with dd. overall great time.... Glad to be home though... Back to yoga today and happy about that too. We worked out tons on the boat but ate way too much... Also kayaked, hiked, and biked. Initial weight looks to be up several pounds but I know it takes a few days to settle. Hopefully the damage won't be too bad.

Dd is here till Sunday. Extra people and extra dog.... I'll be happy to be really be back to normal.... Dh leaves for three weeks then too but younger dd is here for the summer. She worked as a camp counselor last week and starts her real summer job tomorrow.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #5  

I had a really happy day today, anticipating the holiday off tomorrow. The dogs, as a result of my emotional state, were happy too!

The holiday will be spent gardening, packing up for the kitchen reno, getting myself organized for my actual holiday at the end of July, and capping it all off with the local fireworks display (weather permitting). Nice!

Dagmar
Old 06-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I am home from 4 days of backpacking - tired, sore knee, but awesome memories of the lakes, mountains, meadows and creeks. Can't wait to go again! Next time I'm bringing more cookies and desserts.

Happy the Cat is doing well, although all the animals are suffering in the 107 degree heat. With our swamp cooler, it's about 90 in the house. Not much fun. And I'm not getting much done besides watering the garden. I ate a pound of zucchini for lunch.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Happy Canada Day to all our friends up north.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Happy Canada Day!

Yesterday at lunch I asked DH if he was going to do end of the month billing (like we always do) and he said he'd do it tomorrow. I reminded him it was the last day of the month to which he replied, no, it's tomorrow. I said "30 days hatch September, April, June...". He then looked at the calendar on his will which clearly stated June has 31 days. Then he turned it to July and saw that July 1st was on the same day as June 31st on the previous page. He was not happy with my revelation! He had time before a big meeting to do just one billing. We'll have to do the rest today and back date them.

I'm so looking forward to the three-day weekend!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #9  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Garage sale is done. I didn't get rid of as much stuff as I wanted, so there is aftermath with needing to arrange pickup of the donated items and getting other things to the donation centers. My neighbor is up north and won't be able to pick up her tables and unsold items til this weekend, leaving me with one side of the garage still full. Think I'll have to let the spouse park on the other side; it will motivate me to keep plugging away until I get this DONE!

I've had a week and a half in my new job. I am in the honeymoon period where I am "transitioning" and don't have any true responsibilities yet. There have been no unpleasant surprises and everyone has been welcoming.

My menfolk are up north fishing and may return tonight, or possibly tomorrow. It's all dependent on the fish.

We have Friday off for the holiday, and on Sunday we'll travel to Stratford Ontario to see Hamlet. And on Sunday, DS15 becomes DS16. The play is a gift to him from my mom, but she bought tickets for us too.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #10  

Becky... That all sounds wonderful!

Allison.. July 1 snuck up on me too but at least I didn't have billing to deal with.

I'm dealing with my two daughters who still don't get along. I love having them home but hate playing referee. Sigh...

Hot here but trying to get some good walks in before and after the heat of the day. Off to bikram yoga now for some zen time...
Old 07-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #11  

Becky I've been to Stratford once and it was a really nice town. Be sure to check out the swans on the river. I think teen idol Justin Bieber is from there too - oh be still my beating heart.

Dagmar
Old 07-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #12  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, this will be my first trip to Stratford, and probably the 4th for DS. My mom goes about twice a year - she loves the theaters and everything else about the place. Bieber apparently attended the King Lear performance while they were there last time. He was a complete @$$hat and he and his entourage were forcibly removed before the intermission. The running joke around here when any US/Canadian sports teams play is that the loser has to take Justin Bieber. Supposedly that has a lot to do with why they play so hard when they're together.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #13  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Hi all, I'm back from a week's vacation in Colorado. What a beautiful state; pity it takes so long to drive from one place to another. We had a wonderful time, and stayed with old friends whose family resembles ours a great deal (the wife is a neurologist, they have 2 boys just a year older than each of my older two, and a daughter who is 2 years younger than my youngest. Very similar family dynamics as well). They made us feel very welcome, and the 10 (!) of us spent 3 days "on tour" together riding in 2 minivans from Aurora out to Glenwood Springs, then to Royal Gorge and from there to Colorado Springs and Pike's Peak. We saw other sights as well but the best part was spending time with them.

Tomorrow morning I start a week of hospital duty, having been assigned to the first week of July including the 4th of July holiday. All the new interns started today, and all the old interns became brand-new 2nd year residents today, which means I have a very, very unseasoned crew going into the week. I expect it will be long and painful.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:42 AM   #14  

We had a great Canada Day. We all spent the better part of it outside in the backyard which, for this year, is the first time we were able to comfortably do so. I got the garden into better shape, DH fixed the shed and did some major pruning, Trixie chewed her rawhide, and Natalie lurked and scented a whole bunch of bushes.

Apparently there's a new cat around and she's marking her territory to show who's boss. She is a funny little thing, doing handstands to get her tiny hiney a bit higher to mark. I've never seen a female cat do that. Trixie is very dominant too - pees like a male dog at times. I have two bossy *****es for pets.

The weather was remarkably co-operative and we were able to see the fireworks show in comfort. No rain and enough breeze to keep the mosquitos away.

Back to work today and tomorrow and then it's kitchen reno prep!

Dagmar
Old 07-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #15  

Dagmar... Hilarious about your dominant pets!

One of our cruise ports was Victoria. We visited the butterfly gardens and Butchart Gardens. Butchart Gardens was amazing. We were there at dusk. I would love to have had more daylight hours to really see everything.

Enjoying my summer break thoroughly so far! I've been making the 7:45 bikram class which works well time wise. By the time I get home, visiting daughter is up and moving. Then we can spend the day together. She leaves Sunday, as does dh. Then it will just be younger dd and me, plus the menagerie. We have been taking the pups on long walks and exhausting them. We've also walked to the dog park a few times. Ellie is getting used to new things, dogs, and people! She is huge! Just turned 4 months and is almost 28 pounds. Think she will be a large dog!