Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #316  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Workout day three. I'm a little sore but that is a step in the right direction in my book!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #317  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Jessica It's so hard to "unlearn" our parent's bad habits isn't it? I figured, with my dad, that in my house we ate how and what I wanted mostly. I did serve him meat when he came for dinner as we do eat it and he doesn't think it's a meal without it but otherwise I gave him veggies and things we eat all the time. My dad also had this weird thing where you had to eat chicken with rice, steak with peas, etc. so I did shake that up by giving him meals like chicken with potatoes. And he had to eat pizza with tomato sauce.

I still have some anti-dad food prejudices that I'm shaking off almost 2 years after he died. Bacon recently made it back on to the menu - dad loved to fry stuff in bacon fat, which he kept by the bowl in the fridge - but it's accompanied by pasta and spinach. Meatloaf also is back on the menu but not with fatty hamburger and bacon on top. I have a much healthier turkey meatloaf or salmon loaf that I make instead.

But cake is cake. Glad you're going to enjoy some with your girls!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #318  

Dagmar~I know what you mean about certain foods requiring the "right" side dish! But my biggest obstacle in serving Sunday dinners is my FIL's stubbornness to eat certain things. I was trying to decide on a menu the other day and was thinking of serving an asiago artichoke mushroom sauce over zucchini "noodles." Well, this man won't eat ww pasta so I figured zoodles wouldn't go over well and changed the menu to a different Italian meal with a sausage, tomato and bean mixture served on toast. Even that I don't think he liked well because he shoveled the last few bites into the garbage.

Aaah, bacon. We don't eat it often (I find it too salty--even when I get the reduced salt kind) but the other day I whipped up a batch of bacon and tomato jam which you can use as an appetizer on crackers or spread it on bread with cheddar cheese for a special grilled cheese sandwich. That's dinner tonight with a big salad (small sandwiches usually when I do sandwiches for dinner).
Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #319  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Two nice translation classes today. When I came out I thought I'd go home and have a small amount of frozen summer fruit with yogurt for my mid-afternoon snack.

This all fell by the wayside as I got home and walked into a very difficult situation. I'm sorry to say that two ... of ... replaced my ideal snack.

Always learning.

Yesterday we had roast chicken and I made stock afterwards. That will be part of chicken risotto this evening, probably with grilled rashers of bacon, and peas. A crisp green salad would be nicer but we've only got frozen peas or spinach in the house at the moment, and the others are looking for calories.

Jessica, the twins are two years old already? Where does the time go?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #320  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Wow, Jessica - 2 years! Somebody should be sure to remember to tell YOU happy birthday too! And yes, if ever there is a righteous time to enjoy cake, this is certainly it!

silverbirch, tomorrow is a new day and hopefully the difficult situation is resolved. If not, administer beatings until morale improves.

allison, way to go on the exercise! Pave the way and make me think it's easy, okay?

Day 2, I'm under my calorie goal per Lose It. Need to work towards more volume perhaps, but I'm also just plain not used to eating less. Going to make a 15-bean and turkey sausage soup in the next day or two - I doubt those are going to be big serving sizes!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #321  

Happy birthday to A&C, Jessica!!!

Becky, it's baby steps, really. But four days in a row now! And I even woke before my alarm, so my body isn't hating getting up a tiny bit earlier. As I ease into this I'll step up the exercise. Right now it's really, really baby steps. Have you heard of the 7-minute workout? That's what I'm doing. I think after a week or so, I'll do a second circuit.

I need to start tracking my food again. Although I think I'm doing well, it would be better if I tracked it. I found a wonderful (and probably high calorie) spread--bacon tomato jam. I made a batch last week and we had it on a sandwich last night and it was so good. I think it'd taste divine on a hamburger. I might incorporate a burger or some sliders into next week's menu.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #322  

Well, this morning's workout didn't happen. If at all possible, I'll try for tonight instead. But I will get back to it in the morning.

I'm at home for most of the day today as I'm having a couple of rooms painted. I went into the office for all of 15 minutes this morning--mainly to drop off the dogs. I got a small amount of work done and headed back home. I still need to go to the grocery store but that's not a problem. Then I have to go back to the office this afternoon to pick up the dogs. DH can't bring them home because he has to pick up the washer and dryer pedestals from Sears this afternoon and he 1) can't leave the dogs in the car and 2) wouldn't have the room for dogs and pedestals.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #323  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi all, I'm checking in after a crazy few weeks.

Last week was nuts at work, so little sleep and no exercise (and not much cooking). We left town Saturday morning for what was supposed to be 2 nights in the mountains to celebrate my birthday. I stopped by my parents' place and did a bunch of yardwork for them (they were away) then we swung by my best friend's house for what was supposed to be a quick dinner. Nope, it was a surprise party that my BF and husband had organized. Great... about 30 people I haven't seen for a while, and I was filthy and sweaty from the yardwork and hadn't slept much in a week. I wanted to crawl under a rock and die. Everyone was dressed really nicely in beautiful dresses, and I was in an ancient tank top and baggy shorts with matted hair. Argh.

The worst part was that when the horror wore off, I realized that my BF wasn't even there. It turned out that her dog had broken its leg an HOUR before the party started. So she was at the hospital with the dog, and her poor husband was stuck BBQing for 30 people and running after their toddler. It was terrible, we all felt so bad for them and it felt wrong to be having a party at their house when they were having such a bad day. We stayed the night to help clean, so DH and I only had about 24 hours for the mountains and nearly half of it was spent driving.

After that not-very-fun birthday weekend, it was back for another insane work week. My coworkers have been bringing cakes and candy for my birthday that they insist on my sharing with them on the spot, so it has been hard to say no (though I did manage some tiny servings) and impossible to "take it home" (and give it away); they want to eat it RIGHT THEN. It was all chocolate too; not my favorite. I shouldn't complain about having such well-meaning friends and coworkers and husband doing things for my birthday. That's life, after all - pretending to enjoy things for the sake of everyone's feelings, when what you really want is very different.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #324  

JayZee I'm going to admit it here because people here will understand - I've started LYING to those people pressing booze, chocolate, baked goods, etc. on me when I'm trying to lose weight. I have made up several allergies and sensitivities and am now telling people I have blood sugar "problems". If people then still try to cajole me into eating stuff that's not good for me I just reply "I'm getting older and have to take care of my health now". Most of the time it works.

Dagmar
Old 04-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #325  

Seriously, as much as I loved chocolate as a child, I really dislike it now. It makes my stomach hurt if I eat more than a bite or two. It sucks but then again, it doesn't.

Workout was a go this morning. Golf tomorrow if the wind allows and I'll do another workout after golf (or two workouts if not). I have a few drawers to clean out tomorrow and trim the dog's nails. So glad I found a grooming muzzle for Bogey--it really calms him down.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #326  
critter lover

Dagmar, now that I'm over the hill I can play the "too old to get away with eating garbage" card all of the time! But I need to actually live that way. I haven't weighed in a while, but I know it won't be good.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #327  
Workin' It

First day of open enrollment. So far today I've eaten a cup of yogurt and had a latte from Starbucks. I also managed to get up in time to exercise today, so starting the week out well. Let's see if I can make that work the whole week.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #328  
critter lover

Shannon - good job, keep it going! (and I will try to do the same).

I finally weighed in and it was not good. 150 pounds. That takes me back to where I was when I started at 3FC, in 2010. Not my highest weight ever, I was in the low 160's at some point, but pretty bad. I'm now almost overweight by BMI. I know I've gained some muscle but it's not all muscle. The sad part was that I had been doing pretty well overall the past 2 weeks, so I was hoping to see a reasonable loss. I certainly didn't expect a 2 lb gain. Back to strict dieting. I can't believe I was 136 last August.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:46 AM   #329  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Shannon - good job, keep it going! (and I will try to do the same).

I finally weighed in and it was not good. 150 pounds. That takes me back to where I was when I started at 3FC, in 2010. Not my highest weight ever, I was in the low 160's at some point, but pretty bad. I'm now almost overweight by BMI. I know I've gained some muscle but it's not all muscle. The sad part was that I had been doing pretty well overall the past 2 weeks, so I was hoping to see a reasonable loss. I certainly didn't expect a 2 lb gain. Back to strict dieting. I can't believe I was 136 last August.
It's hard to maintain the weight loss. I think most of us here have regained after an initial big low. But we keep on going. Most of us have also NOT regained all the weight we lost. All we can do is keep sticking with the healthy habits. You are doing that

Dagmar
Old 04-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #330  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
All we can do is keep sticking with the healthy habits.
I do need to hear this.

I think I have healthy habits but some unhealthy ones have also crept in over the years. These particular habits are quite new to me and that surprises me. I suppose I'm in a different place now to previous times. Perhaps it's been that change which has derailed me. I like to think it's easy enough to stay on course when all is much the same but my life nowadays is very different from one day to the next and often lived at full tilt. This is very far from how I like things to be but it can't be changed at present. So I have to work out how to handle it without these new unhealthy habits.

What do you do when you've been out and about (at full tilt, naturally) and you get back in (home, office, work)?

a. Have a drink?
b. Have something to eat?
c. Have both a drink and something to eat?
d. Something different? Please tell ...

On to the next thing.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote