Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

Saef- sorry to hear about your Christmas eve and Christmas but glad to read things are a little better.

I was very busy on Christmas eve and Christmas but good news - my DS proposed to his GF of two years. We LOVE her so much and I was hoping for this even though they are young (24 and 25).

DD and I signed up for another 5k on Jan 1. We did well in the one we did last week so now she has 5K fever.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #17  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Michele, is the scarf pretty? Does it go with anything you own? If the answer is "yes" to either of these, consider being bold and brave, and venturing into new fashion territory. Scarves are very stylish these days, and there's umpteen ways to wear one, which you can master by viewing a youtube video or two.

Saef, I'm glad Christmas day turned out better than the evening before it. I can imagine the disappointment when Christmas Eve comes with so much emotional baggage and expectations. By all means, definitely go to a movie this weekend.

Dagmar, of course people complemented your home. You've worked very hard on making it beautiful, and I'm sure your happiness at making this place your own can be felt by everyone who visits.

As for us, we invited a few other couples and their kids to our house for an "unChristmas" party on the 25th. We originally had 3 couples RSVP, and 2 of the 3 bailed on us literally at the appointed hour (2 pm). One said she felt sick from accidentally drinking non-lactaid milk (and this meant that neither she, her hubby nor her 2 kids could come at any time that afternoon), and the other couple had an even lamer excuse, about being "held up" at their prior engagment and "not being able to leave gracefully." So even when I said it was fine to come over later, in time for dinner, the husband texted back that, no, they had to take a raincheck. Grr. The only couple that came were very pleasant and we enjoyed getting to know them better (they'd never been to our house before), but still, it was a bit awkward, and of course I had way too much food.

I absolutely can't STAND the Michigan (is it Michigan? or just 2014?) casualness toward invitations. It's like "sure, I'll come over...if nothing else better comes along." People constantly weigh what their best option is, and a pre-existing commitment means nothing. That's of course if they actually bothered making a commitment to begin with. Most of the time, I invite people and don't get a response at all. It's considered perfectly normal to simply not RSVP, but impolite to "push" for an answer, even to a catered event where you are paying based on the head count. Every time I have an experience like the one I just had, I swear I'm not hosting another party, like ever.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Congrats Sharon! How exciting!

How rude, Andrea! I can't believe folks would do that! Did the couple that came have kids for your kids to play with at least?

I don't like the scarf in the least and after looking them up online, I'm guessing it cost $400! They only take exchanges so..... I'll have to find something roughly the same cost.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Michele, too bad about the scarf. Maybe you can find a pattern you like better. I think a scarf is about all you can get for that price at Hermes.

Andrea, I think what you're experiencing is 2014, and not just Michigan.

CalCounter1003, good news from your DS.

saef, this too shall pass. I'm glad you saw some friends.

Dagmar, sounds like your party was a success. Hope you had a good Boxing Day up there. In the U.S. we don't necessarily go shopping the day after Xmas--perhaps I should say, I don't. I know some do.

I'm buying my SO dinner tonight as part of her birthday celebration. She wanted a couple of people invited to come along. One of them only comes about 50% of the time when invited, regardless of whether she says yes. She has health issues that make her decisions last minute. We have just gotten used to it. Anyway, we're going to a local Southern grill because my partner wants to try their shrimp and grits.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #20  

Andrea - what the heck? Quite rude and inconsiderate. IDK if it is that common because I don't host much, or haven't in a while.

My DH and I did a 34 mile group bike ride today. Very fun! He's done it several times but this is the first time I did it. I had tried a few weeks ago but they went too fast from the get-go so I couldn't keep up and dropped out. This time I made it the whole way.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCounter1003 View Post
Andrea - what the heck? Quite rude and inconsiderate. IDK if it is that common because I don't host much, or haven't in a while.

My DH and I did a 34 mile group bike ride today. Very fun! He's done it several times but this is the first time I did it. I had tried a few weeks ago but they went too fast from the get-go so I couldn't keep up and dropped out. This time I made it the whole way.
Sharon That sounds like a great ride!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:34 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Today is my last hosting for 2014. After that the leftover booze goes to the storage locker and all the leftover cake and candy go into the compost.

New Year's Eve will be a healthy dinner, no drinking for me, and an early bedtime for me. My reward for being so "virtuous" will be a long walk with Trixie on New Year's Day - the first of many in 2015.

Dagmar no more
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Wish I could say the same, Dagmar. I have another week left.... Don't feel like I'm gonna make it at this point.

I know I should appreciate family but I'm just stressed, feel fat, and out of control of my food and exercise.

My inlaws are off to pick up my relatives from London. The next few days include another Christmas with them, a Rockets basketball game, a huge birthday dinner and celebration for dd, New Years Eve..... Not sure what else?! Did I mention family stress galore. I need my yoga. Bad.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Wish I could say the same, Dagmar. I have another week left.... Don't feel like I'm gonna make it at this point.

I know I should appreciate family but I'm just stressed, feel fat, and out of control of my food and exercise.
Family can definitely be stressful. And you are right we should appreciate family, but I have had my share of near blow ups myself this holiday. My MIL about drove me mad on Christmas and last night. We had dinner here last night here and afterwards at one point I took my glass of wine and kindle and went to my room! My DD came looking for me about ten minutes later and I said "sorry just had to step away for a few minutes!" Then of course felt guilty because what kind of example is that??? Lol. Oh well... She is 21 and knows how stressful the family is! I just tell myself to NOT be that way as I get older but maybe it can't be helped!

You can get through another week. If you can at least go for long walks that would help!