Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

Saef, good for you! Like the others stated I could definitely see myself not having the nerve to go and falling into self-pity. What the heck on that intersection!!!
DD arrived home last night! I realized last night that next Christmas she may not get to come home for the holidays since this is her last year. If she does it obviously won't be for long. Oh well, so glad she is graduating anyway! She needs to start looking for a place to live after graduation. She has lived in dorms all four years and next year will be working down near Wall St. And so begins a long commute, I'm sure. She graduates end of May and job starts job mid July so we are planning a European trip! It will be an inexpensive one, staying with relatives where we can.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #17  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I am feeling really sorry for myself today because I'm in pain again, but not from my leg. Over the last couple days, I developed a pilonidal cyst at the base of my tailbone, probably from all of this sitting and lying around, and from getting sponge baths rather than daily showers and long, soaking baths. I'm back on Percocet to deal with the pain.

I've had these cysts twice before, but not for many years, or as I sometimes put it, "one hundred pounds ago." I thought they were one of the repercussions of being overweight and that I'd beaten them. Apparently not.

Sitting on moist heat, hoping the thing resolves -- if it doesn't, I'm making an appointment to get it lanced. I'll have to try a storefront urgent care, since my doctor's office is not handicap-accessible and has stairs in front of it, which I can't handle with the walker.

Trying to keep my spirits up in the meantime and continue working my leg in my PT exercises. My big resolution today is to make an appointment at a local hair salon to get my hair cut -- overdue by a month and starting to get into my eyes in front -- which would help me feel less like I've "gone to seed." It's daunting because of how much upfront explaining I need to do ("Haven't been there in six years. Can you make sure it's on the ground floor and not downstairs? because I need to use a walker. Just confirming you're still handicap-accessible ...)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #18  

So sorry Saef! As my brother said to my Dad after his heart attack, "Wow Dad, that really sucks." What else can I say?
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #19  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Oh Saef, that cyst sounds like a big painful bummer. I was glad to see that you made it to your gym party. And the haircut sounds like a great plan - I get my hair cut so rarely that it feels like a wonderful luxury when I do go in. Hope that you feel pampered and relaxed (as much as possible) afterward.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #20  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

What a relief, as the cyst broke on its own this morning while I was using a warm, Epsom-salts-infused home sitz bath. I feel much better. I think I have a greater range of motion with bending my bad leg backward. And yeah, I'm definitely going to get a haircut, which will be money well-spent for my self-respect, if I can nab an appointment during the heart of the Christmas party circuit in this town.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote