Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #46  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Thursday, August 21st:

Okay, my sore throat is gone, and I think I was fighting a cold. As for my hot-pink Chucks -- I wear a size 8, and I got mine on eBay. They looked new except for a minor toe scuff. Someone had second thoughts about the vibrancy of the color, maybe.

60 minutes elliptical, resistance at nine, random intervals, running with sweat in the humidity but feeling pretty strong today.

60 minute mat class, just stretching & a couple gentle abs routines, as the Pilates instructor is out on vacation for a week

Last edited by saef; 08-22-2014 at 10:27 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #47  
Girl Gone Strong

Friday, August 22nd:

NROLW Stage 5, Workout B, my final workout of this stage -- and hooray for that, as I have tired of holding 2-minute planks and 2-minute prone cobras, and treadmill sprints alternating with walking, and many of the other moves.

Now I have to decide if I want to move onto the upper-body-focused Stage 6, with the goal of completing an unassisted pullup, or Stage 7, a tough conditioning sequence that is said to be better for someone focusing on fat loss. Or if I want to switch the order, or maybe even do Stage 7 twice.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #48  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I did both 6 and 7. I was far from being able to do a pull-up at the end of 6 but I still thought it was good for improving my strength! (I'm pretty much a massive weakling in the upper body.) Stage 7 I remember being very difficult.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #49  

Height: 5'7"

Friday - did the last day of the C25K for week 3. I signed up for a 5K on 9/20 so I will be done with week 7 at that point.

Saturday - DH and I went for a 2 hour bike ride, went 21 miles, which I guess isn't all that fast. We ordered a new bike for me (still using DD's old one) and supposedly we will be much faster. It was quite expensive and they fit me for it. I felt a little ridiculous since I'm not really a biker and here I am getting everything measured so I have the perfect fit, LOL. Oh well, it will be nice.
DD's old bike is from when she was around 11 (and she's a senior in college now). She is very tall, 6'2" and this bike fit her way back then. Not sure why we kept it all this time.

Saef- wow on the weight lifting. I may start that one day, but for now, I've got a lot of exercises going! I can't imagine I'm strong enough but I never thought I'd be doing all I am right now, so never say never. I'm training with a trainer now just 2x a week to learn how to lift. I had never lifted a single weight until this year. He keeps asking me what % I am at (like how many more can I do) and how I feel, and where I feel it, and honestly, I never realized how little I knew about my body. At first I would always say "I don't know, not sure..." but now I am starting to begin to understand how to read my muscles.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #50  
Girl Gone Strong

Saturday, August 23rd:

My usual Saturday routine, which is:

60 minute spin class, followed by
60 minute Pilates mat class, only it wasn't really Pilates, it was a lot of stretching and some prone bodyweight moves, because the Pilates instructor is either in Italy or North Carolina this weekend, I forget which.

Jessica, you've inspired me. I should do this, even if I can't manage a pullup of all my body weight by the end of it. I'm gonna do the rest of the program in order, starting Stage Six tomorrow. The first move is where you grab the pullup bar, jump up, and lower yourself slowly. Also the barbell squats should be interesting.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #51  
Girl Gone Strong

Sunday, August 24th:

NROLW Stage 6, Workout A, which revived my interest in the program because it was a change and it was shorter. I am doing 112.5-lb wide-drip lat pull-downs now and 50-lb barbell squats. But I made a big mistake. I did pulldowns and tried to descend from a pullup, and now I see these were supposed to be done underhand, as chinups. That's a big difference.

Afterward, 15 minutes on the StairMaster, which I haven't used in about a month, and I took a 60-minute class called "stretching" that sneakily turned out to be yoga. I am short, pear-shaped and blocky, and growing interested in hypertrophy, and I have no flexibility, so I am not a fan of yoga. The women with yoga bodies can have it & keep it all to themselves.

Last edited by saef; 08-24-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

saef I am short and pear shaped and blocky and I have been doing stretching and yoga for 36 years. That's the reason I rarely get injured or heal quite quickly if I am. As for having a "yoga body"

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #53  
Girl Gone Strong

Monday, August 25th:

45 minute spin class, outer hip muscle complaining
Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #54  
Girl Gone Strong

Tuesday, August 26th:

NROLW Stage 6, Workout B, with NO CARDIO AFTERWARD,which is freaking me out. But honestly I had nothing left when I was done and just wanted to walk home. In the backward lunge with dumbbell on shoulder, my left knee started bugging me -- it's the same side where the hip is bothering me. I think I am going to be plenty sore tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #55  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
In the backward lunge with dumbbell on shoulder, my left knee started bugging me -- it's the same side where the hip is bothering me. I think I am going to be plenty sore tomorrow.
For what it's worth, I get this kind of thing and I've worked out that if I stretch both calves (both muscles in them) especially on the bad side, that seems to sort it out. Finding this out has been a great relief to me.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:38 AM   #56  
Girl Gone Strong

Wednesday, August 27th:

45 minute spin class after work, such a relief to burn off the excess adrenalin from being "on" all day, teaching a writing class
Old 08-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #57  
Girl Gone Strong

Thursday, August 28th:

60 minutes elliptical, random intervals, resistance at nine, as tough as it usually is

60 minute pseudo-Pilates, because the instructor is out, so someone is subbing, and we do 20 minutes of stretches and then much slower Pilates sequences than I'm used to for the remainder, with lots of stretches in between.

Last edited by saef; 08-29-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #58  

Height: 5'7"

Thursday - Did Couch 2 5K, week 4 day 2 in the morning ... 4:30am, ugh. So afraid of bears at that hour! Then after work went to trainer and did an hour of various lifting. Yep, I'm sore but loving it all.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:01 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Tuesday, August 26th:

NROLW Stage 6, Workout B, with NO CARDIO AFTERWARD,which is freaking me out. But honestly I had nothing left when I was done and just wanted to walk home. In the backward lunge with dumbbell on shoulder, my left knee started bugging me -- it's the same side where the hip is bothering me. I think I am going to be plenty sore tomorrow.
Probably your iliotibial band...I bet your spin class if videoed would show a wobble in your Lleg cycle with improper knee tracking, just a guess...
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1250716-overview

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #60  
Girl Gone Strong

Friday, August 29th:

NROLW Stage 6, Workout A, surprising myself a little with the negative chinups and the overhand lat pulldowns, which I did standing. I think if I lost 15 pounds, I could actually do these! Then 15 minutes of StairMaster afterward.

Liana, whatever is bugging me is somewhat off my hip, in my butt. The most painful movement for me would be the "bad girl" move on the adductor/abductor machine (which I don't use). The band of muscle or tendon or whatever it is running along the outer part of my left hip gives me a searing pain, but not on the hip, it's like where it inserts in the butt. Anyway, there are a lot of moves that I can make without any flare-ups, but if I get it just right ...

And I believe your improper knee tracking theory is right. And I will tell you why it tracks improperly. The anatomical problem is actually with my foot. I need surgery in the joint of my left big toe, which has excessive bone growth and arthritis in it, what the podiatrist called a "dorsal bunion" because it's on top of the foot, not jutting out of the side. That toe joint is sometimes terribly painful. I believe I compensate with some kind of turnout or shift of weight to the outer part of the foot. Which makes the knee track outward. Which stresses the tendon along the hip. And so forth ...

Need to schedule another appointment with the foot doctor, and probably surgery, and don't wanna, don't wanna, don't wanna ...

Last edited by saef; 08-29-2014 at 08:34 AM.