Maintainers Moving Their Feet Through the Heat of July

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Summer is getting pretty serious out there.

We're maintainers moving our bodies. Because that's why we've got them. They're not just aquariums for our brains. They're for walking, running, cycling, stretching, lifting stuff and putting it down again.

And we're going to keep moving through July, no matter how high the temperatures climb outside.
  • Tuesday, July 1:

NROLW 3A, getting toward the end of this phase. I bench-pressed a pair of 30-lb dumbbells today, which I have never done before. But the hardest thing that I did was the series of 90-second planks. By the third and last one, my whole body is shaking slightly and my wrists are complaining.
  • Oops, posted in the wrong thread!

July 1 mutu w2d2
    - mutu core phase 1 x 2
    - 20 min walk
    - 1536 calories
    - carb/fat/protein 55/22/23%
    - no desserts or sugary drinks, protein at breakfast
  • Tuesday, July 2:

45 minute spin class at 6 AM, after stretching and foam-rolling on the floor of the exercise studio room, empty at that early hour. Yes, I am going over to the bright side with the others who use foam rollers, which hurt, but make me feel less stiff afterward.
  • July 2 mutu w2d3
    - mutu core phase 1 x 2
    - 20 min walk
    - 1629 calories
    - carb/fat/protein 64/19/17%
    - no desserts or sugary drinks, protein at breakfast
  • Wednesday, July 3rd:

60 minutes elliptical, the usual, on a morning so humid, the gym's windows were fogged up and sweating. Lots of people with the day off were getting their workout in early, taking up machines that are generally unoccupied.
    60 minutes of stretching, mostly, not Pilates, since the Pilates instructor at our gym is out of town over the long weekend.
  • I got behind with my June logging when I traveled so hopefully I won't do the same in July!

July 1: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 2: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 3: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
    3 days
    300 minutes
  • Friday, Fourth of July:

21 minutes on the StairMaster, about all I could manage in the humidity and knowing I had to hurry, get home, shower & change & meet a good friend downtown later in the morning.

Usually I'd be lifting today but I did not have time, and I feel guilty about that, but this friend is only visiting from L.A. for a couple days.
  • It occured to me that I can now, in the new house setup, watch a DVD while working out. Anyone have any yoga DVD's they would recommend? Not sure where best to post so you'll see this in a couple of places.

Thanks!

Dagmar
  • Quote: I got behind with my June logging when I traveled so hopefully I won't do the same in July!

July 1: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 2: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 3: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
    3 days
    300 minutes
    July 4: 100 minutes bikram yoga... Went to the earlier of only two offered classes rather than their usual 6.

Totals:
    4 days
    400 minutes
  • Saturday, July 5th:

60 minute spin class, with a couple pauses, as a big, strong-looking guy taking spin with his girlfriend for the first time slipped off the bike after the second song, walked to the hallway, slid down the wall, and then lay down and fainted. Instructor jumped off her bike to attend to him, two nurses from the hospital across the street from the gym who were in spin class also got p
    off their bikes, and the rest of the class just looked scared while everyone pedaled diligently, even though the Bruno Mars song repeated about three times.
    60 minutes Pilates class turned into 40 minutes of stretching with just some Pilates thrown in at the end, since the instructor is away for the holiday weekend.

Edited to add: The guy was okay. Hadn't eaten since 4 PM the day before and apparently blood sugar was way low, and also blood pressure.
  • Don't usually post here but I just did the best exercise ever. I went with my kids to a trampoline park - a whole bunch of tramps set up in a seamless grid, with more tramps set at an obtuse angle along the sides so you can rebound from the walls. We played dodge-ball and chase for 30 minutes and I was sweating like mad by the end. Can't wait to go back!
  • Sunday, July 6th:

NROLW3B, with my lat pulldowns now up to 105 lbs for three sets of six reps, better than before, but I can tell I'm not yet strong enough to do a pullup.

Then the HIIT cardio, on which I bonked. I'm asking too much of myself, and I'm still doing cardio on "off" days from the program, which means I don't recover as rapidly. After the first round, I was only able to run at the speeds I'm set for myself for 30 seconds and 45 seconds.
  • Quote: Don't usually post here but I just did the best exercise ever. I went with my kids to a trampoline park - a whole bunch of tramps set up in a seamless grid, with more tramps set at an obtuse angle along the sides so you can rebound from the walls. We played dodge-ball and chase for 30 minutes and I was sweating like mad by the end. Can't wait to go back!
    That sounds amazingly FUN Andrea! I love workouts anywhere but a gym. I'll have to Google and see if there's one around here somewhere. I don't have any kids to go with but I used to be really good at trampoline back in gym class.

Dagmar
  • Monday, July 7th:

45 minute spin class, hanging around afterward, chatting with the spin instructor, who was talking with me about a client who has a problem with binge eating. I was trying to give her some insight into the state of mind behind the behavior, since it was alien to her. She asked me if I'd ever thought of changing careers to counsel people with eating disorders. I wanted to say, "Well, I'm still working on my own ..."