Maintainers Weekly Chat June 23 - June 29

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Hi all, just lurking & reading... What eventful lives you all have, makes me glad there are no kids at my house, lol.
    Maintaining w/o problem since early March - eating anywhere between 1600 & 1800 cal a day. Doing without salty snacks especially between dinner & bedtime

I do a lot of my exercise in the water too, because of Arthritis - although not rheumatoid. Hey it works when you go for it and don't just bob around... I'll be starting summer bike patrol for our RCMP Citizens Patrol, so that should add a bit to my exercise list on MFP.
  • canadjineh!

Worrying about C again today. DH just sent me an email that she has developed a rash. He called the doctor's office and left a message but hasn't heard back yet. She seems otherwise fine -- she's still coughing some from the croup, just had her last dose of the steroids they gave us for that. No fever, no runny nose, nothing else. We'll see what the doctor's office says. If it's not related to the croup, I'm thinking it's possible that she's allergic to the non-fluoride toothpaste the dentist gave us since we started using it two days ago and it's the only new thing she's been exposed to.
  • Quote: canadjineh!

Worrying about C again today. DH just sent me an email that she has developed a rash. He called the doctor's office and left a message but hasn't heard back yet. She seems otherwise fine -- she's still coughing some from the croup, just had her last dose of the steroids they gave us for that. No fever, no runny nose, nothing else. We'll see what the doctor's office says. If it's not related to the croup, I'm thinking it's possible that she's allergic to the non-fluoride toothpaste the dentist gave us since we started using it two days ago and it's the only new thing she's been exposed to.
    Just guessing here but would the steroids cause the rash?

Dagmar
  • Jessica, a true story about grown up identical twin boys I worked with a girl married to a twin. These folks happened to be of the Morman Faith Her husband had already completed his mission and his twin was just returning home, they offered him a place to stay in their home until he got resettled One day she came to work and said " We had to ask Chris to leave, "Lt is just too freaky living with two guys who look just alike.
  • Quote: Jessica, a true story about grown up identical twin boys I worked with a girl married to a twin. These folks happened to be of the Morman Faith Her husband had already completed his mission and his twin was just returning home, they offered him a place to stay in their home until he got resettled One day she came to work and said " We had to ask Chris to leave, "Lt is just too freaky living with two guys who look just alike.
    One of my cousins is married to an identical twin. She and her twin sister and he all lived together for a number of years, splitting a house, before he married one of the sisters. He IS able to tell them apart but he said at times it was a bit hard for him and he had to really look before he went to kiss his then girlfriend.

I just finished a course online in behavioural genetics and some of the research they do involves twin studies, both of identicals and fraternals.

Dagmar
  • Bargoo, that's funny, I can imagine it would be difficult especially if she hadn't spent enough time with the twin to be able to tell them apart! Have you seen the youtube video of a little girl meeting her dad's twin brother for the first time? Google it, it's hilarious.

DH is taking C back to the doctor today since the rash is spreading. When he talked to them on the phone yesterday they thought it might just be a heat rash and said keep an eye on it -- steroids are often used to treat rashes so it shouldn't be a reaction to the steroids. I told DH to take the toothpaste along to the doctor in case there is some ingredient in it that is common for allergies. It could also be from whatever virus caused her croup in the first place, because A doesn't have it. The croup seems about the same as before.
  • Quote: When he talked to them on the phone yesterday they thought it might just be a heat rash and said keep an eye on it -- steroids are often used to treat rashes so it shouldn't be a reaction to the steroids. I told DH to take the toothpaste along to the doctor in case there is some ingredient in it that is common for allergies. It could also be from whatever virus caused her croup in the first place, because A doesn't have it. The croup seems about the same as before.
    There are people who react to cortisone, and the symptoms are usually skin symptoms. It's rare but not unheard of. You can check it out on WebMD or other medical sites. It would be unusual for one twin to be allergic to the toothpaste and the other not--or are you only using it for one?
  • Jay, they both have been using the toothpaste, but while identical twins are more likely to share allergies it's just an increased chance, not a certainty. DH is taking them in at 10:45 so I will find out more info then. C's last dose of steroids was yesterday so she's not getting any more in any case, if that is the culprit!
  • Papaerclippy, hope things get figured out for C soon. Poor thing, it is miserable being sick when you are very young, and hard on the rest of the family too. Hugs to you.
  • Monterey is amazing! Arrived on Friday a day late due to weather making me miss my connection. I love the weather! I'm so used to awful humidity, this feels amazing and it is beautiful! DD and I have walked tons and eaten a lot too. I'm going to hate not having a scale, but I'm going to just use MFP and exercise and not eat too much junk! Going to cook dinners during the week so those will be healthy. DD became vegetarian a few months ago so I'm going to cook some different things. I'm in such a rut on what I eat at home. If you read MFP log, you'd think how can anyone eat the same things so much! So this will be good for me to mix it up. We went to a great Mediterranean restaurant for lunch and I got what she did, a falafel pita. Excellent. Then we got a few pieces of chocolate from Seas Chocolate.

It is so awesome to be away from home. I really needed the break. Even though I don't work at my full time teaching job in the summer, I hadn't gone anywhere in two years. While she is working I will use that time to exercise, do what I need to do for the online class I teach, prep for the college class I am teaching next semester, and work on my app.

DH comes here the last week I'm here. I think he will want to move here, as do I!
  • Monterrey is beautiful! Are you going to the aquarium? It's a must see IMO.
  • Glad you're enjoying Monterrey! I missed what your app is?

Agree with Allison on the aquarium being a must see!
  • Triple the aquarium!
  • Quote: Triple the aquarium!
    Yes! We saw the aquarium! It was great! Especially the otters. Then this afternoon we did the 17 Mile drive and saw 2 otters on one of the sight seeing stops! There were seals also. We were so excited, as were the many other people at the stop!

I released one app which is called "Letter Sleuth" - only for iPhone. It has a few bugs that I have to work out -- the ads don't work properly and something happened to the leaderboard. But the game itself works. I have plans for 2 others but not sure that I can get them done before school starts - but am trying!