Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #406  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Becky, I haven't gotten on the scale for a while because I don't want to admit my backsliding. But you're right, whatever we do we can also undo.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #407  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Allison, 1/2lb per week is great! That's about where I am at the moment too. I am happy to accept 1/2lb per week if it means I don't have to measure and count everything.

Speaking of which, I got a hole in the knee of my jeans so I ordered another pair in the next size down . . . and they fit! Hooray for fitting into size 10!! I am both happy that I'm making progress and sad because this just reminds me how far I am from fitting into all the 6's in my drawer. Also I'm a bit concerned that the extra skin on my belly will get in the way so I'll never really fit into the smaller sizes again, or at least not comfortably. I always said I would never have cosmetic surgery but if I get back to my goal weight and have a big flap of skin hanging down, I may just consider it.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #408  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jessica-- you're doing great!!

My two cents on excess skin. I have it... I consulted with a plastic surgeon and debated but decided mine wasn't extreme. I'm so glad I didn't do it because it has tightened up considerably. I always heard to wait a year but mine tightened up after way more than a year-- more like two. I didn't have twins but I did gain a lot during pregnancies and had weight gain as well.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #409  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

JZJ - Eh, the scale wasn't that bad. It just confirmed what I already knew, and becomes a fixed point of reference for improvement. I'm trying to look down the road and think more about how it will feel to calculate a % loss.

1/2 a pound a week is familiar territory for me as well. I'm capable of more, but only in tiny bursts of excess discipline.

Well, it's day 3 and I haven't starved yet. Go figure.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #410  
Workin' It

I came down about five pounds in recent weeks, popped back up 2 this week with TOM and general stress.

I haven't posted here in a while - I've been pretty overwhelmed and the challenge I've been participating in on another board has taken all of my posting energy. I'm worried about my stepson, he's starting to act out again. I feel like I'm behind all the time. Same song, different year I guess. Friday is the anniversary of when I initially made my goal, and I feel so far away from that point now - I feel like a failure, and need to learn how to let that go for now. I have a fantastic vacation coming up soon that I need to be ready for - I'm hoping the break will help.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #411  

I haven't been posting much either but I'm still around.

Frustrated that I was happily back down where I wanted to be for a few months, then rebounded with my summer travels. Thought buckling down when I got back would take the weight off but it seems to have stuck. Guess I'm not buckling down enough.

My dd is carb cycling and (knock on wood) seeing some good losses. If I can't get my weight back down, I may give it a go. Anyone done it? Basically you eat very low carb some days (higher protein) and then other days you have more carbs (though not high carb).
Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #412  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I came down about five pounds in recent weeks, popped back up 2 this week with TOM and general stress.

I haven't posted here in a while - I've been pretty overwhelmed and the challenge I've been participating in on another board has taken all of my posting energy. I'm worried about my stepson, he's starting to act out again. I feel like I'm behind all the time. Same song, different year I guess. Friday is the anniversary of when I initially made my goal, and I feel so far away from that point now - I feel like a failure, and need to learn how to let that go for now. I have a fantastic vacation coming up soon that I need to be ready for - I'm hoping the break will help.
Shannon, you definitely are not a failure. I went up and down many times, somewhere along the way something clicked and I just kept on truckin and finally reached goal. I guess it is all about " keep on keepin' on. Good luck.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #413  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post

Shannon Hope the vacation helps!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #414  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I talked myself out of exercising last night and feel bad about it. I usually take one day off a week from exercising but try to make that on Friday. Perhaps I'll switch the days around. I guess I'll see if that works tomorrow!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #415  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Shanon, what challenge are you doing? A vacation soon sounds like just what the doctor ordered for you.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #416  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Aw, Shannon! Failure is not bothering to try! Unless of course overwhelming data and the laws of the universe clearly state that the probability of success is appropriately low. Sorry - . I hope you have an outstanding, rejuvenating vacation!

I am working hard on looking at persistence as a skill I want to master instead of a personality characteristic; every time I hear the little voices that try to talk me out of something I've committed to, it's a chance to practice. I figure I ought to be good at it by the time I'm 80.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #417  
slow and steady

Weighed in at 162.4 this morning! Woohoo, go me! 10 lbs down, 27 to go. Sigh. On the one hand I wish I hadn't gained so much weight with this pregnancy, but on the other hand I did it because the doctor told me to, and if I hadn't maybe the outcome might have been worse than it already was. It's hard sometimes to focus on the fact that the flabby saggy belly entirely covered in stretch marks is a sign that I brought two beautiful babies into the world instead of a sign of my failure to keep myself in shape.

But 10lbs down is a good milestone, even if I have a long way to go still, and I am really glad I've been able to do it mostly without any counting or tracking.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #418  

Wahoo Jessica!!! That's awesome!

How much weight did the doctor tell you to gain and what did you gain? When I was PG my doctor said to gain 25-35 pounds and said if I gained more, I'd just have more to lose. I gained 39-40 with each pregnancy. I found it interesting that I gained the same amount in both pregnancies when I was on bed rest for most of the first pregnancy and wasn't for the second. I think that's just the amount that was right for me. However, it was before I really ate healthy and exercised routinely. I wonder if I got PG today what I would gain.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #419  
slow and steady

Michele, because my twins were monochorionic, the doctor said to gain "as much as possible, at least 40lbs," and that there was no upper limit to how much I should gain. Also I was told to gain it as early and as fast as possible, because the earlier weight gain is associated with better outcomes for twins who are born early. All told, right before I delivered I was about 200lbs, which was a total gain of 65. The doctors were very happy with my weight gain throughout the process. I guess I just thought it would come off easier! I think breastfeeding was part of the problem since I had to continue to eat a huge amount of food to produce enough milk for both of them, which gave the fat a lot more time to settle onto my body.

Really I don't think I would change anything about what happened. I'm glad I gained enough that even though my girls were two months early they did well in the NICU and had good birth weight, and I'm glad I was able to breastfeed for a year. I just wish it was easier to drop the weight now!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #420  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Jessica, 10 lbs is great! I'd agree with you completely, the extra weight was a very worthwhile tradeoff!

I've gone back to Lose It, complete with daily reminders to log. This is my first time using the Friends part of it to communicate with my pal who's charging ahead with me. Both of our plans have us finishing up about mid-December. I am hoping to get caught up in the badges and little challenges. Annoyed that for some reason, my iPad is not scanning barcodes. I am not sure what happened there.