Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Glad you're feeling a bit calmer JZJ. I agree with Andrea. Fiancé needs to step up and help.

Dagmar.... Stay strong! The alcohol isn't worth it.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #62  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, it's interesting that so little alcohol (I must have the same yardstick your family uses) causes you long-range cravings. For me, the next drink over what you described will cause a lousy night's sleep, but up til now, I haven't given sugar cravings any thought. Good luck beating the demon - sounds like you're on the downhill side of it!

Andrea, good to hear you're feeling better!

JZJ, yay for unstuck anxiety blobs! World news just makes me annoyed and bummed out. I live out in the sticks where there's not much light pollution - getting a good look at the Milky Way tends to yank me back to center pretty well.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #63  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Dagmar: ditto to staying strong. Now that you have realized what the recent episodes did to your body, remember how much better it is to sleep well, not have the cravings, etc.

Andrea: OK, thanks - I have a bad habit of being an "it's only done right when I do it" person, I needed to be kicked gently to remember that. Today I will delegate some REAL tasks to him.

ICU: I wish we had great stars to look at but this is far too urban an area. Last week when we ran the relay in the Sierras, I did have a moment during my 3 am (ugh) run through the the high desert, in the pitch darkness, when I looked up and was dazzled by the sheer light of all the stars. There was no moon.
Sadly, I find my anger at current events is one of my best motivational tools. Rage centers me
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Interesting note on the "I have to do it if I want it done right" school of thought. I was like that with DH and wound up doing almost everything and resenting it. I gave him tasks and then redid them when his work wasn't "up to standard".

Then I realized he was doing this on purpose so that he could get out of doing laundry, dishes, bed-making, etc. etc. I decided he would do these tasks his way and I would . Life is too short and there are other things I'd rather be doing than policing his housework.

That said we are now tentatively planning our first vacation together since 1999. He suggested Cuba and I agreed. I told him he would plan this one since I did the one in 1999. He agreed. I then promptly turned around and started talking to people who'd been there, looking online and at guidebooks in the bookstore, and the like. I have caught myself in time.

No matter how it makes me I will not take over.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #65  

Cuba sounds fascinating! As you're probably aware, us US citizens can't readily travel there.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #66  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar, you're reminding me of something that happened earlier this year. A good friend from college who works at Google sent around an email from our alumni publication, offering a college-sponsored alumni trip to Cuba. U.S. citizens can travel in Cuba for educational purposes, and my friend was excited because Cuba is on her bucket list. But when we looked at the cost of the trip, I could afford it, and she could afford it, but our other friends -- who work at non-profit arts organizations or teach part-time while practicing their art -- would not be able to manage. This can be so awkward, the lines that money can draw between people who get along really well. I see it on the Internet, too, where people pick and choose the forums they want to hang out in because they don't feel comfortable in the general conversation about what people are doing (and obviously spending).

In fact, I worry about this particular forum sometimes ... have we made people uncomfortable over that in the past and sent them off elsewhere? There have to be more maintainers than just us, right?

Anyway, I'm not going to Cuba. Or at least, not on the alumni trip.

Last edited by saef; 06-08-2014 at 11:17 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Gah. I've been concentrating on eating more fruits and vegetables--especially those high in potassium and what do I have to show for it? A two pound gain. It doesn't seem fair at all.

Less than 6 weeks until DD's wedding. Something's got to change.

And speaking of DD, she got in a car accident last night. She was parked, her passengers about to exit, the back door open and WHAM! a car backed into the open back door, shoving it forward and crunching it to the point where neither that door or the driver's door will open (or close properly). At least she wasn't at fault. She was parked! And no, no one was hurt.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #68  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
In fact, I worry about this particular forum sometimes ... have we made people uncomfortable over that in the past and sent them off elsewhere? There have to be more maintainers than just us, right?
I think this may be one reason. I think another may be that there is an optimum number of participants on a thread and that numbers tend towards that. I'm not sure what this number is, perhaps about 12?

I didn't know about US citizens and Cuba.

Last edited by silverbirch; 06-08-2014 at 02:31 PM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #69  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I have often wondered why we keep losing [many] participants on this thread, and sort of assumed that lots of folks either don't find us amusing, or decide they don't fit the "got to goal weight but now up 5-10 pounds again" criterion, or for whatever thousand other reasons decide to find their support in another forum (or thread). The one thing I'd never considered was Silverbirch's statement about an optimum number of participants on a thread. If true, that would be worthy of a social psychology or electronic media research project. Makes me wonder what the parameters are (how many posts can you read in a single day; how many different personalities are compatible, etc).

I think I may have shifted another pound downward, but I'm going to hold off declaring victory until I see it on the scale a couple days running. I swear my sig should be "clawing my way back to goal" considering how slowly it's going.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I love this thread but am mostly lurking.Many of you know I have cancer , that cuts down on most of my activities but I am still interested in what my friends are doing.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #71  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

168.4 this morning! I haven't managed to get back into the habit of daily weighing yet, but I'm encouraged by that number being less than the last time. I haven't started counting calories yet so we'll see how far I can get just from portion control. I have gone back to my old small lunchbox and bought a bunch of veggies to cook healthy meals this week.

Goal for this week: work out at least once. I'm not pumping at work anymore so I have my lunch break back for exercise.

Andrea, that would be an interesting study. I think though that part of it is that in maintenance, people tend to come over to this forum when they hit goal, then disappear shortly after. Either they are maintaining successfully and don't need the support, or they're getting complacent and end up regaining, at which point they either come back here or are too embarrassed to admit that they regained and we don't hear from them again. There is some turnover in the forum participants over the years but it's pretty slow. I can think of a pretty good number of people I used to see here all the time who I have not heard from in ages, and some of you guys are still relatively new (lol, by "new" I mean "have been on maintenance forum only a couple years).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've been thinking of you, bargoo. Keep up the good fight!

Jessica~I need to start working on portion control myself. Since cutting out the sodium-rich frozen diet entrees for lunch, I've been taking leftovers. Obviously those portions are more than I need. I should cut down on dinner portions as well.

But last night's dinner had to have been uber healthy: an Asian style cobb salad. the dressing had just 1 T of sesame oil with rice vinegar, 1 tsp sugar and ginger, soy and garlic. The salad: a bed of Romain with "stripes" of grated carrot, scallions, shredded chicken, avocado, hard boiled egg and mandarin oranges. Simply delicious!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #73  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Dagmar, good luck waiting out the cravings. It seems to come with W/D from all kinds of different substances - I had massive sugar cravings when I was quitting cigarettes, and people I know who have gotten into harder things definitely had carb cravings.

And have a great time planning your Cuba trip (and taking the trip, too)! It looks BEAUTIFUL there.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #74  

Also thinking of you Bargoo. Glad you are checking in periodically.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Sending supportive thoughts to Bargoo - and condolences that your horse didn't win the Triple Crown. "Cowards," right!

Methinks there's something to the notion that a thread has some maximum number of folks hanging by. It just wouldn't work with 50; I once posted on the Beck thread in the early days for a few months with just one other person. That small a number only worked because we were both determined to complete the 42 day program.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote