Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #376  

Bargoo, I sent you a private message but it said your inbox was full.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #377  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Inching downward - I'm more or less back at this round's starting weight. Yay.

Put in a half mile yesterday in a pretty lake. I am very glad that my team will be returning to the pool this week - all the big meets and races are over and now it's time to set the yardage back to zero to kick off the 2014-15 season. I doubt I will have any trouble logging more yards than I had last year ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #378  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

2250 reasonably careful, easy yards to open the 2014-15 swim season. All I can say is that it didn't feel as bad as my first practice of last season! I really hope this winter is a little more forgiving and I can actually get to the pool more often.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #379  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

ICU: good for you, you've inspired me to log all the miles I run and ride in a year. I don't have any goals but it would be cool to keep track anyway.

I ran a trail marathon Saturday. I was feeling great and managed a really good time (for me) on the first half, which included at least 2500' of uphill. Then the intermittent downhills started making my knees burn, much sooner than normal for me in a marathon. It was such a disappointment, I had plenty of energy and strength left and my cardio was no problem. But the knee pain worsened and had me hobbling the last 6 miles - which were all downhill, so everyone else was sprinting by me including the dozens of people I had passed on the uphills.

I'm trying not to be too upset about it, but it doesn't bode well for my running future. I really enjoy long runs and I don't want to stop them. My hope is that if I re-start yoga, it will help my body hold up longer.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #380  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Bargoo, I sent you a private message but it said your inbox was full.
Good morning Carol. I cleaned up my PM. Thanks for thinking of me.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 AM   #381  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
ICU: good for you, you've inspired me to log all the miles I run and ride in a year. I don't have any goals but it would be cool to keep track anyway.

I ran a trail marathon Saturday. I was feeling great and managed a really good time (for me) on the first half, which included at least 2500' of uphill. Then the intermittent downhills started making my knees burn, much sooner than normal for me in a marathon. It was such a disappointment, I had plenty of energy and strength left and my cardio was no problem. But the knee pain worsened and had me hobbling the last 6 miles - which were all downhill, so everyone else was sprinting by me including the dozens of people I had passed on the uphills.

I'm trying not to be too upset about it, but it doesn't bode well for my running future. I really enjoy long runs and I don't want to stop them. My hope is that if I re-start yoga, it will help my body hold up longer.
Just saw an article about keep your knees strong in the Sept. print issue of "O" (yes I still love physical magazines rather than online). Might be available in their online issue too. Short and to the point with a couple of exercises you can do at your desk.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #382  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
What was Silicon Valley called before?
It was and still is Santa Clara county. Largest city is San Jose most electronic plants are in, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and San Jose and Cupertino..Sillicon Valley is just a nickname someone made up.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #383  

DH and I are embarking on our new plan. Instead of beer and chips last night I had a 100 cal green tea popsicle and 1/2 c. vanilla flavoured greek yogurt. DH had 2 beers and no snacks! We listened to a variety of African music, on loan from the library, instead of watching TV.

He is going to start his walking program today. I am NOT buying or consuming any energy drinks this weekend.

A good start!

Dagmar
Old 08-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #384  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
It was and still is Santa Clara county. Largest city is San Jose most electronic plants are in, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and San Jose and Cupertino..Sillicon Valley is just a nickname someone made up.
Thanks, bargoo! I knew it had to have a proper name. We have a 'Silicon Roundabout' in London - silly.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #385  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

I was just lurking around this morning and had no intentions of posting. However, I'm jumping in to say hello to my fellow Bay Area folks. I'm in the East Bay as well.

Michelle, I also wanted to add to the doggie discussion. About a year ago my lab started to refuse the stairs in our home (big problem since we live in a tri-level!). The vet discovered she had some arthritis and that the issue was actually pain. He put her on a mild daily pain reliever for dogs (Novox) and she is a new dog. Good luck with your pooch!
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #386  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Thanks, bargoo! I knew it had to have a proper name. We have a 'Silicon Roundabout' in London - silly.

Come visit us sometime.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #387  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Come visit us sometime.
Thanks! I'd love that. (I'm assuming I'd need my shades.)
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #388  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post
I was just lurking around this morning and had no intentions of posting. However, I'm jumping in to say hello to my fellow Bay Area folks. I'm in the East Bay as well.

Michelle, I also wanted to add to the doggie discussion. About a year ago my lab started to refuse the stairs in our home (big problem since we live in a tri-level!). The vet discovered she had some arthritis and that the issue was actually pain. He put her on a mild daily pain reliever for dogs (Novox) and she is a new dog. Good luck with your pooch!
My house is tri level too but she no longer goes up the big staircase. I bought toe grips that are supposed to help elderly dogs with slipping. Now I need help applying them! I hope she will leave them on and they help. Knock on wood but she's been good for a few days. I also started her on hylasport which Allison recommended.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #389  

I am on a steady downward march - another lb. gone this past week. Now 137.2 :.

All I'm doing is cutting out the beer and chips on the weekend and limiting myself to 150 cals snacks in the evenings. And it's working - imagine that!

Dagmar
Old 08-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #390  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm back from a 2-week vacation with in-laws. Lots of eating out, but I kept with my basic WOE (short eating window), and as a result I weighed in at... (drumroll) 139.4 this morning, basically the same weight as when I left!

In retrospect, being unable to build up a "buffer" before vacation may have been a good thing, since I was more motivated to stick with my eating window. Honestly, it really wasn't a hardship but I probably would have gotten sloppy if I hadn't been right at my goal weight.

Anyway, I'm very very pleased that I could enjoy so many dinners out and not have to face months of rigorous dieting to compensate.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote