3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers on a Losing Streak in the Summertime

Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 AM   #256

thanks paperclippy. I appreciate your words.

Thanks neurodoc, I will check out the book "brain over binge" Hopefully library will have it. If not, then will buy it. And yes, that monster is just my interpertation of those "binge urges" that can be relentless and exhausting. Your breakfast of graham cracker and peanutubutter sounds wonderful. Perhaps working out offest the calories. I know it is not easy.

Traveling Michele, to answer your question, I use a shameful amount of unsweetened cocoa powder. Both black cocoa powder from King Arthur and also dutch process cocoa powder from lake champlain chocolates. Both chosen for their low acid and low calories. But it does add up. I use it in the protein drinks. I use it mixed with almond milk for hot chocolate. A lot more than once a day. It honestly is a full blown addiction, as far as I am concerned.

Today I went to the chocolate factory to get the cocoa powder for the week. They have free samples. It was amazing. So I bought 2 more pieces of chocolate candy. I can never do that again. I think not repeating that will be easy. However turning down a free sample of awesome chocolate may be a bit more challenging. The rest of the day's intake was okay. Calories for the day did not excede 1450. BUT carbs were high because of the candy.

My goal right now is to find a way to lower the amount of cocoa powder. But that may not happen in the near future. Going to try to find a way to not go to the chocolate factory to get the cocoa powder.

I hope everyone has a good Wednesday.

Last edited by flower123 : 07-16-2014 at 05:26 AM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #257

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

flower I used to have 3 pieces of really good Belgian chocolate every Saturday. I bought it at a specialty store and I bought 3 pieces on Saturday. I would then go sit in my car or outside at the beach (in good weather) and eat my chocolate. Concentrating on the flavours and textures like that satisfied what was a huge craving for me. Now I hardly ever eat chocolate and I don't eat a large amount when I do.

I did the same thing with diet soda. I bought 6 and limited myself to two per day, then one per day, and then tapered off to none. I only drink it now at the movie theatre.

Neither chocolate or diet soda comes into my house any more.

Everyone is different. I think you have to be ready to cut down on the cocoa powder and then find your own way to do it. And I'm sure you will figure it out.

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #258
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

Andrea, as usual your observations are spot on. I will go back to my weekly average starting Monday. The early gratification has been the problem - I can drop overeating bloat pretty fast and seeing it happen on the scale sets up a "See? It's all okay" voice - exactly that false mindset. It's not okay, not this time. It's too darn high and I have let this go multiple pounds past what I believed to be a red line (150) I think I need to skip out of seeing a 3-4 pound fast loss and just commit to staying on track this week.

Allison, I dunno if applying labels to the ginger ale is necessary. Both the words (bad, despicable) seem a bit strong! You simply made a substitution a couple of times a week. Now, if that change happens to correlate to the same week your BP went up ... regardless of whether science says it could be related, try cutting it back out again. Your chemistry may vary!

Jessica, congrats on the hard work and good results! It sounds like you found the right program for you!

Yesterday: 1675 calories; took a very brisk 1 mile walk (14 min) after lunch. Streak: 2/2.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #259

S/C/G: 178/124/125

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Becky on the ginger ale, Allison. It sounds a lot smarter than alcohol to me.

Flower.... Your cocoa sounds much better than mine! I drink Swiss miss diet which is 25 calories. Maybe if you try a mediocre one like mine you can break your addiction. It's funny what we all get hooked on. Many here know I can no longer buy grapes! I may be needing to ban cherries too but they are only available for a short time and I love them! I just don't portion them well...

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
298/365 workouts
234 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #260

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi folks, I've had a very busy several days. As a result, my treadmill/recreation time plunged, but luckily I've still had no problem sticking with the WOE. As a result, my weight has stayed in the same range but I haven't made any progress building my vacation buffer. This morning I was at 137.8. The good news is that I am getting more confident in maintaining my WOE even during stressful times.

Birchie, welcome back to the rooibos club! I had a nice cup of it last night. ATM, I am chugging some full-caffeine coffee bc the dog kept me awake during thunderstorms last night.

CalCounter, I actually first heard of rooibos (bush tea) in the novels too. We read them to my daughter and she wanted to try it!

ICU, sorry the 5:2 didn't work out for you. I didn't have success with a hi-low type of IF either (I tried ADF). Cal counting and logging has a high success rate.

JZJ, so sorry to hear about those wasps! Yikes! Glad DH was able to get your phone back.

Hi, flower! Like you, I find the yoyo and the whole diet treadmill exhausting (see siggie). One of my goals has been to KISS so that I don't get distracted and sloppy when things get busy for me.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by yoyoma : 07-16-2014 at 10:17 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #261
Recovering Pantry Pest

yoyoma, I think the 5:2 *could* work and I will keep it in the back pocket for later; I'd like to incorporate some sort of "eating window" form of IF, and I generally am skipping breakfast anyway. The last (and only) time I successfully lost a bigger chunk of weight - 25# - was with logging and counting, so that's where I'm going to go for the 10+ regain.

I let the news get to me last night and I drank more than was in the plan. So, I'm going on a media diet too, to eliminate an influence. Ended the day at 1920, just shy of what I consider a "spill", plus I did get another mid-day walk in. Might be by the skin of my teeth, but to me it's 3/3.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #262
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/137/130-135 and healthy

I had a minor fail last night. Work has plunged back into chaos. Our most valuable clinical tech had to suddenly take leave for at least 6 weeks. We have zero redundancy as it is, so her massive volume of daily work will have to be covered by myself and our manager (who is buried with a horrible administrative project). I just started a month of major experiments in the research lab and they are consuming 10 hours out of each day as it is. So, how on earth we will survive the next 6 weeks is a giant puzzle to me.

The fail is that I came home exhausted, hungry and stressed to where I was shaking. Result: blindly stuffing food into my mouth until I got tired of the kitchen. There is no mystery whatsoever about why it happened. But how to prevent it? I woke up this morning and the thought of going to work made feel like crying. The total amount of work to be done is so far beyond what is possible for me/us, even with nights and weekends thrown in.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #263
Recovering Pantry Pest

JZJ - Sounds like your manager is going to have to step up and be a MANAGER, and figure out how the **** to get all the work done. Something will have to give, be postponed, be done half-@$$ed temporarily, or sink to the bottom of the very big pile. Hang in there, draft DH to pitch in a little extra, breathe a LOT, cry when you need to ... and know that a lot of this is not within your control.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #264
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/137/130-135 and healthy

ICU/Becky - thank you for that response! I read it right before being called on the carpet by one of my overlords - I was actually able to just breathe and not let my stress morph into rage. You may have prevented a homicide!
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #265

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Allison Usually diet and regular sodas contain quite a bit of sodium. Would that contribute to the BP going up?

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #266

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Allison Usually diet and regular sodas contain quite a bit of sodium. Would that contribute to the BP going up?

Dagmar
Doubtful. I'll check the label for sodium though. I really think my stress is #1 cause of the high BP.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:19 AM   #267

Mudpie/Dagmar, thanks. i think you are right. When the time is right, I will find the way to stop. I call it "a grace". Because it seems not possible... until it is possible. Great work on cutting out the chocolate and soda. I know that soda can be a real problem for people.

Michele, I hear ya re the grapes and cherries. I could never have cherries in my house. And yes, swiss miss might break me of my cocoa habbit. Although, cant be sure lol. That stevia i use is pretty horrible. and yet I percevere. You do Bikram yoga? amazing !!! I totally admire that.

yoyoma, great name. Love the siggy, noyoyoma. Hope you can get that "vacation buffer'. But if not, maybe it still will be okay.

JayZeeJay Sorry there is so much stress at work. Stress eating is such a pitfall for me as well

I decided to not wait for the library to find a copy of the book that Neurodoc/Andrea recommended... "brain over bings" I went to buy the kindle version. But it said that if I buy the paperback from amazon then the kindle will be $2.99 instead of 8.99. So, I now have the kindle, and the hard copy paperback coming in the mail.

Today I decided I needed carbs. So I did my usual carb cheat. With copious amounts of cheese. Then I made curry paste to give to someone for her birthday. So I will have a lot of dieting to do over the next many days. I really need to exercise. i have an adversion to it. Will do the jogging trampoline. Just HAVE to do it.

So glad I found this thread. Maintaining was easy for quite a while. Until the cravings started again. Have to figure out how to get back on the narrow course. I am still in the safe zone as far as weight is concerned. But I have to make sure I stay there. Hoping there will be some good info in the book to help. Thanks. and I hope you all have a good day. Pat

Last edited by flower123 : 07-18-2014 at 05:24 AM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #268
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)158/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Wrong direction. Rarely have my self-perception and the scale weight been so far apart. In the unforgiving mirror in the studio last night, in Pilates, my butt is in the best shape ever. But between my pedicured toes this morning: 156.4.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #269
Recovering Pantry Pest

JZJ - glad my post was timely and helped a little. Just remember, in five years you'll be looking back on the next month or two (if you remember it at all!), and you will see the resourceful, strong person you are. I've been in your situation a few times - all you can really do is the best you can, working with what you have. Amazingly, IT WILL BE ENOUGH. Lives won't be lost, civilizations won't fall, history will not record it. It will go down as a personal triumph and it will show you who at work has the chops and who doesn't. This too shall pass.

Flower, it's a weird world when getting more than you need or want costs you less, isn't it? I admit to taking advantage of those deals and squirreling away the extras for Christmas gifts. I'm also not a fan of exercise, though at 47 I fully realize that I need to do it in order to have a more mobile and healthy span of later years.

saef, there are enough weird flukes in scale-world to justify checking again another morning. If you feel good and like what you're seeing, don't let the scale ruin it for you with whatever dark forces it decided to align with this morning.

Recorded 1706 for yesterday and have (grudgingly) kept my vow to do at least 30 minutes of productive stuff on weeknight evenings. 4/4. I have a challenging weekend ahead - a beach party tomorrow, and then a yard party on Sunday. Strategy involves gum, crudités, and focusing on people over food. It worked before, and it will work again.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #270
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Saef, NRLW will make you add muscle. How are your clothes fitting? When I did NRLW I gained weight but lost a clothing size. Just something to keep in mind when looking at the scale.

I forgot to weigh in today. Oops! Babies were crying and I was running around. I was at 167 yesterday but was hoping for 166 today. I guess I will weigh in for my official weekly weigh in tomorrow instead.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.