3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers on a Losing Streak in the Summertime

Old 07-11-2014, 06:26 AM   #226

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Andrea Thanks for your thoughts on DH. I think our main problem is that neither of us has anyone else for support or friendship. Due to some weird twists and turns in our lives and our odd social status neither of us has managed to keep friend from youth or make new ones. I have taken repeated stabs at enlarging my/our social circle over the years with no success. We are both extremely lonely.

Since we are so isolated DH has nowhere to go if I kick him out. He has one friend in another city but that wouldn't work in terms of his job. It sounds like I'm making excuses and I suppose I am. I would have no one to talk to but the cat if he left.

I think a lot of this will end if DH can bring himself to ACT. I'm just frustrated at how long it's taking him to do so.

And, let's face it, he makes a darn good excuse for me to let myself eat and drink with abandon. Only I can control my own behaviour. I've taken a hiatus in both weight maintenance and weight loss for a couple of months and now it's time to get back on the wagon.

I'm starting this weekend. Instead of sulking at being alone - DH is going to see his friend in the other city - and sitting in front of the TV eating and drinking beer I'm going to take myself to a movie Sat. night and go paddleboarding early Sun. I'm also going to paint a piece of furniture and go for an evening walk along the lakefront boardwalk without any dogs.

It's summer, I have a wonderful house and backyard, and it's time to enjoy it!

Dagmar to

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #227
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)156/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

154.2, when I thought I'd be heavier. This fascinates me, how I remain a maintainer, though maintaining higher than I'd wish to.

But people at the gym think I weigh less. I am sure this is the NROLW program.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #228

S/C/G: 178/122/125

Height: 5'5"

Dagmar.... Sounds like you have a lovely weekend planned and you won't be at all lonely..... Take care.....

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
298/365 workouts
234 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #229
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Hey folks, not much new to report here. Didn't lose any weight this week but my DR is down to 1 finger width so I still feel like I'm making progress at least. I'm guessing the lack of weight loss this week is related to my massive muscle soreness -- probably retaining some water and adding a little muscle. Eating was decent but not 100%. I kept my calories at a good level but didn't eat entirely wonderful foods. Will try to do my intensive workout a couple more times this weekend and see how it goes.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #230

S/C/G: 261/148/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Just have to agree about the nut butters, particularly peanut butter. If I were living alone, it wouldn't be in the house. DH enjoys PB, however, and eats a moderate amount, not straight out of the jar with a large spoon like me. Last night he stirred a Costco-sized jar of Adams crunchy (getting the oil distributed), my favorite. I really had to use all my willpower not to stick my finger in the jar. It's residing above the refrigerator, a place I can't reach unless I use a stool. That does deter me unless I'm really in binge mode. Oh, peanut butter, I love you so. . .

Dagmar, I'm so sorry about your ongoing struggles with DH. It's hard to watch someone you love go down such a self-destructive path and realize there's nothing you can do except take care of your own needs. It looks like you're doing that. Hope you have an enjoyable weekend.

Women who behave rarely make history.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #231

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I love PB. I always have some on hand. That said, I might eat some two or three times a year. I recently suggested to DS that it is good on apples (the boy loves apples). Now, once a week, I find the apple slicer in the sink and the little saucers we use for soy sauce with PB residue. The kid will never be fat. He puts some PB on the dish and uses 99% of it without having to get seconds. He also doesn't waste. The kid is amazing!

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #232
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Sounds like a lovely weekend to me, Dagmar. Will think of you paddleboarding. <- but don't want you to wobble!

I've worked out that when I think I want muesli in the evening it's because my tongue feels shrivelled by the tannin in my afternoon pot of tea. Today I had weak Lapsang Souchong and the tannin in that really had an effect. No wonder that the milk in the muesli has no long lasting effect. So no reason for eating it then!

Work too busy / school summer hols begun / no time to exercise properly. But I am weighing myself every day.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #233

We have thunderstorms happening so no paddleboarding. But that's fine. I will give myself a mani and pedi and sit with Mudpie, listening to the rain.

Today is day 2 of the "two weeks 'til the wedding" diet. I am confident I can get down to 135 by then. I bought a dress from the "vintage" store that will cover any lumps and bumps. Made in India, very loose "slip over the head" type in a kind of tie dye thing. Much nicer than I'm making it sound. And only $16!

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Old 07-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #234

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Birchie, have you tried rooibos (red tea)? It's an herbal tea that tastes a lot like black tea to me, but has no caffeine or tannic acid (at least not much). I love to drink it in the afternoons.

Dagmar, sorry DH is dragging you down. You've already been a great role model, but maybe you could ask if you could make an appt for him to see a therapist or doctor? Even doing something simple like that might seem overwhelming to him if he's depressed.

My weight is back to bouncing around, but at least its bouncing under 140 (so far). Yesterday at 139.6 (eek!) today at 137.8. I might need to tweak my food choices to make some real progress.

yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #235
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
Birchie, have you tried rooibos (red tea)? It's an herbal tea that tastes a lot like black tea to me, but has no caffeine or tannic acid (at least not much). I love to drink it in the afternoons.
It's the afternoon here. This morning I did the full set of exercises and the exhaustion kicked in early. Despite this, I've just moved an old sink to the car. And then I met the farmer who has the fields adjoining so we had a chat about paying for rebuilding walls (mostly in another language which surprisingly gave out towards the end - putting it down to tiredness) and then I met my next-door neighbour and consoled her about the loss of her wonderful tom cat (who she very sensibly had put down last week). This last resulted in me volunteering (with the DB) to cut down some trees in her tiny front garden. I am fully over-tasked anyway at the moment ...

All this to say that I've just got in, made a pot of rooibos tea and thought I'd look at 3FC! You're right, yoyo, it is a lovely tea and I should drink it more. We're in the same club! Thanks very much for suggesting it.

I've been on a detour from the path I know suits me and have been drinking other teas because the others are drinking them. I did this with eating chile for a while which is just stupid for me. I like to be adventurous with food and drink once in a while and then, often, I realise that I've been over this ground before and it's simply not for me. Sometimes things do work out OK, though, so it's worth trying things out.

Thinking I should just lapse into a coma or read my storybook for a while.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #236

hi. Someone suggested that this is where I should be posting. So I will give it a try. I have been yoyo all of my life. Over 200 lbs. And then down to goal. Maintence is illusive. I have, for the most part been in maintence for many months until the very beginning of June when I gained about 5 lbs. I lost 3 of the pounds over the next 5 weeks. But it feels like a hungry monster who lives within has woken up. Makes it so much harder to control things. I do want and need to lose those last 2 lbs and get back under control. But it is all I can do to just stay where I am. Even that is a huge challenge and exhausting.

yesterday I ate a whole 5.5 oz bag of cheese puffs which I dredged in powdered cabot cheddar cheese. And I was still completely unsatiated. I wanted MORE. I settled on something more healthy to eat. But believe me, it was excruciating. Today the scale is showing the results of my slip. And the slip did not even quiet that craving monster that lives within.

As I said, I do not know where I belong. Because I am struggling so intensly. And yet I have been in maintence until recently. The place I originally posted, someone suggested I come here. If there is a right place I want to find it.

I am tired of the exhaustion of living with this for so many decades. Even when it appears to be under control. It is always a whisper away from being out of control. I have tried so many things. Have looked to so many places for commonality and support. Any thoughts? I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks !!
Ps I eat low carb and 1400 calories a day generally. Thanks again. Wishing everyone best

Last edited by flower123 : 07-13-2014 at 06:21 PM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #237

Welcome flower . One day at a time is how I cope with the cravings. If I slip I get right back to maintenance behaviours as fast as I can. It IS a lifetime commitment and that is a hard thing to get my mind to accept.

Dagmar

Old 07-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Welcome flower . One day at a time is how I cope with the cravings. If I slip I get right back to maintenance behaviours as fast as I can. It IS a lifetime commitment and that is a hard thing to get my mind to accept. Dagmar
Thanks Mudpie. Words of wisdom. Yes. Slips must be corrected asap. I corrected quickly that same day. Did not let the slip proliferate. Thanks again. Wishing everyone best in their successes no matter how challenging things are in any moment.

Last edited by flower123 : 07-13-2014 at 08:07 PM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #239

S/C/G: 169/135/140

Height: 5ft 5.5 in

I think we are all in the same boat here.I am also maintaining on 1400 to 1800 calories a day and taking one day at a time.Saturdays I may go to 2000 calories but right back to 1400-1800 onSunday and rest of week.
I sometimes get a bit discouraged with the tight control but think of the alternative.I will not be happier fatter so I will continue counting calories and make the ones I am allowed count.When I was eating a lot of carbs I was hungry all the time and fatter...now I am sometimes hungry but thinner.
I will choose the latter.
Besides...often when I think I am hungry I am not...I just feel like eating.
I read an article about some fashion designer(cant remember her name) who was very trim and worked hard at it.Her comment was "life is not fair",but I have to work at being thinner and accept my fate.
Sometimes I think we have to think this way.
What do we want more....goodies or being thinner.
I rest my case.
apo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #240

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Welcome Flower 123!!! Yes, you belong here!

I "maintain" at about 1500 calories per day but am one of those that needs to re-lose several pounds. I've found my new balance (had an issue with high blood pressure and upped my veggie intake and lowered my frozen diet lunch entree) and I feel confident that I can go back to losing in a couple of weeks (need time out for vacation and DD's wedding).

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.