Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #211  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, I don't know if you got any recommendations about the yoga DVDs. I was given a few that feature Rodney Yee and none of them are for beginners, not even the beginner ones. Perhaps if you KNEW yoga, and had watched the videos intently at least four times so that you didn't have to watch every move and try to work out at the same time, they'd be okay ... but good GRIEF. Way beyond my capabilities. I'm not giving up yet; I have a new set of 3 from Gaiam that focus on neck/back/shoulder and will give them a lookover in the next couple of days.

My swim team's coach is moving to KY!! This will be a huge hole - she was truly one of a kind and could push me into doing stuff I never imagined agreeing to do/try. Siggggghhh. Pouting/sad/angry/disappointed; mostly at myself for not committing fully to training again. Comes at a bad time (pre-TOM) and all I am able to see right now is the list of opportunities I've wasted. I'm going back into my cave to sulk and maybe indulge in a pity party. When I come back out, I'll have my head on straight.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

That sucks Becky! Hope your pity party doesn't last long!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Becky. I am familiar with Rodney Yee and can keep up with him. I had a daytime/nighttime DVD which featured him in a pretty gentle workout but I've lost it. I think I will look around on line and see if someone does short workouts. I need about a 20 minute one. Time to use the Google (Continuum fans anyone?)

Sorry to hear about your coach. Hope your team finds a new one that can somewhat fill those big shoes she leaves behind.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #214  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Dagmar~on YouTube, search for Do You Yoga. They have a 30 day challenge and each day is 20 minutes max (some are around 18 minutes).

Sorry about the coach, Becky. That sucks.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #215  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I am on week 3 of my 12-week program and just did my first "intensive" workout. Exhausting! I predict very sore muscles, which is unfortunate because I am supposed to do this workout three more times this week. Lots of squats and lunges in various conformations.

The good news is that my diastasis recti has gone from 3 finger widths wide to 1.5 finger widths already, and I've lost 4 pounds over the last two weeks. Long way to go still but it's something.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #216  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

116.0 this morning. Haven't seen that number in a month or more. It was my low WI after hiking.

I've been "holding back" for two days, not eating peanut butter out of the jar or having big desserts or anything very salty. pixellate is coming to visit today. Looking forward to showing her all the exciting sights of Troy, ha.

Last edited by krampus; 07-09-2014 at 10:17 AM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #217  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Glad you got some positive feedback on the scale, Krampus!

Jessica, you're making great progress!

After bouncing back and forth, my weight seems to have settled at the high end of the range for now. I'm 138.8 this morning. Still at goal, but I am hoping to get a bit of a buffer.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #218  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I second the YouTube approach to exercise videos. You can find ANYTHING with a simple search (want to learn pole dancing? yogilates? body weight HIIT? you name it it's there), no need to pay for DVDs anymore unless you want something very specific, like Jillian Michaels or the Insanity series.

Krampus, I'm glad that your weight, at least, is back under control. Are your stressors better too?
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #219  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I've been "holding back" for two days, not eating peanut butter out of the jar or having big desserts or anything very salty.

Awww man! What is it with women and peanut butter?? i could seriously eat half a jar in one sitting. That and almond butter, cashew butter .....
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #220  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReillyJ View Post
Awww man! What is it with women and peanut butter?? i could seriously eat half a jar in one sitting. That and almond butter, cashew butter .....
I can't keep any butter in the house - except for regular butter and I only cook with that. I t stays in the fridge. I did have some out last week for corn on the cob and tried it on bread later - too fatty!

I wonder - do we crave nuts and nut butter because most of us are eating very little other fat?

Dagmar
Old 07-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #221  

Default a little whine and cheese

DH is away this weekend. I'm going to take this opportunity to pull myself out of my slump re eating.

DH is depressed and it's taking its toll on me. I'm finding it less and less "precious" that he won't even attempt to do anything about it. Except drink alcohol and eat and watch TV late into the night. He's told me he plans to spend the rest of the summer like this and then take some courses in the fall. How will that help?

I have also suffered from depression. I went to a doctor and got medication (3 tries until I found one that worked) and went to counselling ( again the third try was the charm). I forced myself to work out and walk outside and those helped too.

DH and I are beginning to be more and more different in our approach to the world.

Dagmar
Old 07-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #222  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Sorry that you continue to suffer with this Dagmar....

I had another experience yesterday that reminds me that I often perceive myself more harshly than I should. I went to bikram and was feeling fluffy and self critical of my tummy. Before class, the instructor asked me if I was a runner (no!) and asked what other exercises I do besides yoga. She told me I have "great abs"! I would never say that in a million years. I only see stretch marks and extra skin. Then, in class, next to me was a very fit girl with incredible abs. Not an ounce of flab on her. Then I realized she had stretch marks on her sides....way more than I do. But I hadn't noticed that at first. Maybe, just maybe, everyone isn't staring at my stretch marks and extra skin?

Last edited by traveling michele; 07-10-2014 at 10:21 AM.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #223  

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar - that's really tough and can pull you back into depression. Many in my family have suffered with depression and anxiety and it is awful, for them and the rest of the family. Exercise would help him - even just slow walking. There is a quote from Mother Theresa that I like: "It is impossible to walk rapidly and be unhappy." Rapidly depends upon your level of fitness of course. I think of that when I am getting a little blue and it works! Of course, you can tell him till the cows come home and it may not happen.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #224  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Dagmar, I am sorry for your challenging situation. I faced something similar in my last relationship before this one. It took many years for me to realize that I couldn't fix someone else, especially someone who wasn't ready to change. I eventually learned to pull back and still be supportive, but not completely immersed in his trouble (I was doing things like paying to enroll him in college courses, setting up job interviews for him etc., then being disappointed and frustrated with the results). He was eventually able to overcome his depression and inertia to some degree. In retrospect, it was very unhealthy for both of us for me to be so overly invested in his problems, and I know he was frustrated by my constant criticism. I wish I had good advice to give - my only advice is to take care of yourself and do what keeps you healthy and happy; perhaps it will have a "lead by doing" effect.

CalCounter: I love that quote, that is so true most of the time.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #225  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I wonder - do we crave nuts and nut butter because most of us are eating very little other fat?
Dagmar
I'm another one who could eat peanut butter, and almond butter even more so, for 3 meals a day if I let myself. And whenever I'm feeling binge-y (is that a word? it should be), the first thing I want are almonds and granola. But I don't believe it's a fat deficiency, because I don't crave other non-sweet fatty foods (hate avocado, could live without olive oil or butter, don't even particularly like french fries or other deep fried foods).

As for your DH, I know many of us here have felt your frustration over the last couple of years. Being a little (ok, a lot) more forward than the others on this forum, I have to ask outright, would you consider asking him to leave, or at least for a temporary hiatus in your relationship? I agree with JayZee that you can't make people change by asking them to, especially those who don't want to. But sometimes, the tough-love approach works.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote