Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat May 5 - May 11

The warblers are finally arriving. Either the southerly winds picked up or they just got tired of waiting it out where they were, LOL. Hoping to get out one early morning this week to check them out.

I'm in recovery mode from a head cold. My nurse friend tells me that the current version is a long lasting one - folks are taking a month to come out of it. This gives me an opportunity to learn PATIENCE, which has been slow at entering into my way of thinking.

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning! We are finally going to get some weather this week. DH and I participated in our club's clean up yesterday and it was nice to be outside.

DH is going to finally quit his job today. This has been coming for a long time. It's not good for us economically - he's going to have to be self-employed until retirement - but I think the health benefits outweigh that. Better to have him working sometimes than have him keel over from any of the problems associated with overweight, stress, etc. He will have 6 weeks to get himself back into some kind of reasonable shape.

I am finishing with these pets tomorrow. This is my last sit with them - too hard due to the way things are set up. I will miss the cat - he's a sweetie.

Then home for 2 days and then out to do a really long sit with pets I like at a house that's functional.

Good week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Bill - crush that cold!

Dagmar - sounds like you have a plateful. Will send you wishes for a step-down on the stress!

Another goofy week with DH gone Mon-Fri again (hoping these are the last two weeks), DS14 has show choir practice from 6-9:30 on Mon/Tues/Wed this week while they get ready for their final concerts this Fri and Sat nite, and my swim team practice times are changing to the summer schedule. Juggle, juggle, juggle!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Dagmar-- what is the six week window for dh? I thought he had quit his job before? Regardless, good luck to all of you. It sounds stressful!

My yoga friend and I went to a new yoga studio on Saturday and then to sushi. It was fun! She picked me up so she got to meet the crew and loved everyone. Of course, they put on quite a show for a new friend!

Happy Monday everyone. I feel like I had much more to say but perhaps my coffee isn't kicking in yet....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

The California horse won the Kentucky Derby California Chrome from Yuba City was the wimmer' Yuba City is about 50 miles from where I live.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

DH and I watched the Kentucky Derby before heading out to a jazz concert Saturday. The concert was wonderful but the people who planned it did a horrible job. There were about 2000 people in attendance and they had just two bartenders (and bartenders did ALL drinks from water to soda to wine to beer to mixed drinks). DH and my friend's husband missed the entire second act (one hour) standing in line for drinks. They still heard the music but didn't see the stage. The two fast food type restaurants that opened had long lines but were pretty quick in getting people moved through. Obviously they were accustomed to such crowds. The disc jockey for the local jazz station who promoted the concert actually took his Facebook page down yesterday--probably due to all the bad comments people placed on it.

It was a hot weekend! 102 Friday and Saturday and maybe 98 on Sunday. We golfed both days and the heat really wore us out. I didn't golf well at all but I'm blaming that on taking the previous weekend off. DH had one of his best rounds ever on Saturday.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
The California horse won the Kentucky Derby California Chrome from Yuba City was the winner

Yuba City is about 50 miles from where I live.
bargoo - hope that means you're rich!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Hello all! I have been reading if not commenting. Work was a giant pile of crazy the past couple weeks, but it has finally settled down. My baby girls turned one year old! Hard to believe but it's true. C finally has her first tooth, so A will probably not be far behind. I think C is going to start walking very soon. She can take a few steps with just holding one of my hands, and can stand without holding on for maybe 30 seconds. A might have waved and clapped this morning but I'm not entirely sure since we couldn't get a repeat performance. They are having their developmental screening from First Steps this afternoon.

We are starting the weaning process and they had their first drink of cow milk in their cups at lunchtime yesterday. I am glad that my girls are adventurous eaters so far and pretty much eat whatever I put in front of them, including not being thrown off by cow milk (they made a surprised face at the first sip, but then drank it up no problem). I'm down to pumping 4x/day and planning to drop gradually to 2x/day once they get their other daytime bottle switched out for a cup.

Probably in another couple months, when they are 1 year adjusted age, we will have them off bottles entirely and they will also be off breast milk, and my weight loss journey will begin again. I've had multiple people ask me if I'm pregnant again lately. No, it's just fat, it's the same fat I had three months ago and you weren't asking if I was pregnant then! Sigh.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Jessica~I keep thinking back on my kids' milestones and I don't remember many of them. But I do remember my DD taking her first steps on Christmas day 1991. She was almost 13 months old (4 days shy of 13 months). I seem to remember my son walking earlier but I really don't remember his age at the time.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #10  

Jessica, well, I think it is rude for people to ask you if you are pregnant! Who hasn't learned you never ask that? The most important thing is what you are doing for your girls - and breastfeeding twins is amazing! Especially while working -- I'm so impressed! Of course, you want to get back to your goal one day, but this is the time in your life when you are putting your kids first! You will get there. PS My DS walked at 1 and 5 days. DD was 8.5 months but she had an older brother to chase down. My DD skipped crawling. That's another reason why I freaked out about her reading "late"... I had heard if you don't crawl you can't read. Just a silly myth because she did read and reads nonstop!

Becky - When I look back at when my two kids were home and all that we did, I honestly don't know HOW we did it all! Juggling is right! As much as I love it when they are home, DH and I really love the time at home alone as well! Although it's not like I am taking it that easy now either! I get up at 4:30 to exercise and go until pretty late each night!

Dagmar - glad you got some good weather finally! You amaze me with dog walking in that cold! Glad DH is quitting if it has been due! You may have to make him walk with you to get in shape!

Michele, sounds fun! I don't do yoga, but I may have to start one of these days! Everyone who does it seems to love it. The thing is I am so happy just doing my walks at home, that it seems silly to spend money on something.

Bill -- glad your warblers are back! And speaking of colds, the worst is a summer cold in FL. It seems like it never leaves!

I have had 4 people at work (2 teachers and 2 staff people) tell me I shouldn't lose anymore weight. IDK, I just would never tell someone that. I might say "you look great!" but I don't feel it is my place to offer my opinion on another person's weight. Someone at church also said it this weekend but not in a bossy way, just in a "you look great you are going to blow away if you lose more". I always reply - I am not losing more, I'm just maintaining. I actually am down to 143 (7 under goal) but that is really not that unreasonable for a person 5'7". I can fit in 8s which is the lowest I have ever been but also some 10s. I think the reason they may be saying it is because I am just wearing the 10s and only have 1 pair of 8 pants. My dresses are too big... but I only wear a dress 1x2 times a week! I can't replace my whole wardrobe at once! Anyway, I sound as though I am complaining, and I don't mean to be. I am so thankful to be at this weight and I guess I should just smile and say what I have been.

Found out the online class I was scheduled to teach (starting today which means I had everything already set up) was cancelled due to low enrollment. That puts a dent in the budget! Yikes. I still teach 1 night a week at the local college and there are just two weeks left of that. The good news is I have worked on my app quite a bit during my spring break and the past week so it is ready except for the graphics. I have someone working on it but I think I am going to have to hire a professional. It is a teacher friend and she just hasn't had time to finish and plus she is just drawing it and then I have to get it in photoshop, which is not my area of expertise. So since I finished the first app, I started a second one that won't require very fancy art work. Although from what I have read the icon is very important in the App world. So... I am hoping that my free apps generate enough ad revenue to replace that one class I lost today.

Again, not complaining ... just saying.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #11  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Dagmar, I don't think I understood your post very well. What is DH's occupation, and why will he have 6 weeks to "get himself back into some kind of reasonable shape"?

Bill, do you get any hummingbirds in your yard? If so, when do they return? I have set out a hummingbird feeder this year and am wondering how long I have to wait.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Ahhhh, bird talk... We are enjoying the birdlife at home here too. There is a pair of Redtail Hawks that have a fave perching post (well, 2, cause there's two of them) on my drive into town. They never fail to lift my spirits when I see them. Tons of Redwing and Brewer's Blackbirds in the trees & reeds by the pond out back. Sometimes it is so noisy because of them & the frogs, we laugh as we sit by our yard campfire. Lots of the usual Mallards and Magpies, too. My favorites are the lovely Western Tanagers, Pileated Woodpeckers and Flickers. My friend has quite a few Ruby throated hummers coming to her feeders - I don't feed any birds as there are a lot of wild plants near my place and bugs too (we are rural, obviously). I certainly enjoy listening and watching them all, though. We always keep an eye out for the first returning robin of the year.

Sometimes a Blue Heron or an Osprey or Bald Eagle will fly over, but they aren't based by our house. They are generally closer to the big lake that our town sits on. There is an Osprey nest right along the Trans Canada Highway next to the A&W that had to be rescued by firemen one year. The birds had added a stick in a dangerous position and a fire was started since it was built on a power pole. The city had a special platform on a pole built and installed next to the power pole and moved the rescued nest. The ospreys had no problem with that and moved right over. They are a 'tourist attraction,' as visitors drive down the highway into town, they check out the latest goings on in the nest.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:19 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

Oh, Andrea, we've never had a hummingbird in our yard. And that's not for want of trying. We've done all the gizmos, all the bright reds, all the nectar's - we simply don't appeal to the little guys.

Same goes for Baltimore Orioles: Orange slices, fruits, whatever the books recommended. We weren't found to be attractive to Orioles.

Now I'm jealous of Liana's: Brewer's Blackbirds, Western Tanagers, and Magpies. The range maps suggest that, rather than invest in more specialized foods, I need to take a trip to Western Canada, LOL.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:51 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

DH didn't quit his job. This is too complicated to explain here but basically DH is using his job stress to avoid doing anything to lose weight or exercise. He is obese and he has a hernia that keeps getting worse - we can see it poking out of his belly. TMI.

I am exasperated that the whining and sulking about how hard he has it has continued for another year of our lives. I want him to get off his big fat ^ss and start making changes.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #15  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Dagmar, as much as it's a drag to admit it, I completely understand DH's mindset. It's a rough hole to have to climb from. It's a lot easier to blame a whole set of outside circumstances or people for the situation than it is to grab on and own it and change it. But the worst days of self-directed fails and missteps are still better than the best days of victimhood. Action IS the antidote for despair.

Calcounter, 143 seems perfectly reasonable to me and it sounds like we're around the same frame size, as I'm in 10's and kissing the 12's here (). I'm with you, thinking it's highly inappropriate to comment on anyone's weight. I guess I'm a little antisocial, because I really don't care to hear unsolicited opinions and have been known to respond without filtering it.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote