Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Becky~When we built our house we installed all Amana appliances. The dishwasher was great--it had a built in disposer so you didn't have to rinse ANYTHING. But after about 6 years it started leaking and we decided to replace it. We opted for LG and were very disappointed. No disposer and really, really long cycle times. Also it was very bad at cleaning effectively. We asked around to see what others thought was a good brand to buy and the consensus was either Bosch or Miele. I decided on the Miele (beware, they're very expensive) and I'm quite happy. While it doesn't have a disposer it does have a trap and it'll tell you when you need to clean the trap. But again, the cycles are very long (about 2.5 hours on average). I understand the longer cycles are to help maintain quiet while running.

Yum, sushi. I want to go out to dinner mainly because I'm sick of cooking. I never thought I'd say that! But there it is.

Never heard of that book Michele, but I'll go look at it.

After reading some of the reviews on that book on Amazon, it looks like the type of book I'd enjoy. You'll have to let me know how you like it.

Last edited by alinnell; 04-04-2014 at 10:47 AM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Another reader here though I don't get as much reading time as I'd like (I'm about 20 hours short every week ). I just finished something kinda old - "Nobody's Fool" by Richard Russo (who wrote Empire Falls), and I also read and enjoyed Chris Hadfield's "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" (what would an astronaut do? was a catch phrase in my house for weeks).

I am proud to say I just completed a task that I initially was going to "bail and fail" on, a 600 word essay for my online Scandinavian media course. I had an aspiration to be a writer (about 1 million years ago) and was cured of that long ago. But I can still pull something semi-coherent out of my *ss on command and at extreme "back-to-the-wall" deadline. I don't write essays - never have - but I can do a reasonable job on a short piece of prose.

I'm off downstairs to set up the VCR for Vikings and then will probably go to bed at 8. but that seems to be working to get rid of this darn headcold.

Dagmar
Remember age didn't hold Grandma Moses back.
I just saw some paintings by George W Bush. He is 67 and quite a good painter.
PS I am proud to say I have Vijing blood . My family comes from Norway and I have visited there.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Hey everyone!

Just muddlin' along here! I was an AVID reader as a kid but have totally and unfortunately fallen far away from leisure reading. The exception is Stephen King - I just finished his sequel to "The Shining" that I got for Xmas.

Today we went over and got the baby chicks! As promised here are a couple of pics!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm so envious of everyone with chickens! Such a cute photo with the chick on your dog's head!

I have the sequel to the Shining, too, but have to read The Shining first. Can you believe I've never even seen the movie?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #50  
Workin' It

I love the picture of the chick on the dog. It was exactly what I needed right now.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #51  

Well, in that case Shannon, I'll give you just one more!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #52  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Hy Brasil by Margaret Elphinstone. Published in 2002.

I've just read this on the Kindle after I found a review torn out of a publisher's catalogue.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post

Now put the chick on the cat's head - MWAHAHA - isn't that what he's waiting there for? Seriously though they are darn cute. For some reason I thought all chicks were bright yellow - I'm from the city, yes?

Thank you Jen. Just spent the entire day in rain which the wind whipped into my face most of the time so this was a nice ending.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Thank you Jen for those! Made my day! Have you had chicks before? The dogs look so nonplussed! Or maybe they don't know what to think?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Now put the chick on the cat's head - MWAHAHA - i
Not the head - but it's close....

Glad you guys enjoyed the pics!

One of my first steps when I started losing weight was to build a chicken coop and begin raising chicks (for eggs not meat). Free range chickens have more vitamins in their eggs and way, way less fat and cholesterol.

So for the last 4 years we've been getting baby chicks in the spring and raising them.

And they come in a variety of colors!!

Jen

Last edited by CherryPie99; 04-04-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #56  
Workin' It

Quote:

Yay! Thanks! And I love the one on the cat as well.

Tonight turned into horrible drama with XW. I'm drinking a glass of wine and looking at chick pix instead of breaking things.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 04-04-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #57  
Workin' It

The line must be drawn here!

Jen - thought of you when I just watched this video clip.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Not the head - but it's close....

Glad you guys enjoyed the pics!

One of my first steps when I started losing weight was to build a chicken coop and begin raising chicks (for eggs not meat). Free range chickens have more vitamins in their eggs and way, way less fat and cholesterol.

So for the last 4 years we've been getting baby chicks in the spring and raising them.

And they come in a variety of colors!!

Jen
Too cool - making your own eggs - sorta! I'm really curious about all of this, though probably won't install a chicken coop in our backyard . Why do you have to get new birds every spring? Do hens "wear out" and stop producing eggs - I'm from the city yes? DH spent part of his childhood on a hobby farm but he doesn't talk about it at all. He did once mention that they killed their chickens for food and how to do it but that's been the sum total of his "farm stories". Thanks!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #59  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Trying to breathe, facing an overly busy weekend.

I have to miss my Pilates class (miss a workout! mess up my PERFECT exercise routine!) to get to the hair salon, which is not relaxing, since the place goes for that high-fashion vibe (overcompensating for not being in Soho or Park Slope) and I've got to be perfectly made up & to think about getting the casual but expensive look right just to walk in the door. But Patrick is so great with hair, that's why I put up with it.

Then a memorial service for a woman I barely knew, a coworker whom I trained but didn't manage. I'll be there with my manager. It's like the job is infringing on my time away.

And a four-mile race tomorrow.

When I write this out, it sounds manageable, but it doesn't feel like it. At all. It feels like too much.

All I want to do is drink more coffee and read the Times and unfortunately, there's work to catch up with. I've got to rewrite 10 more dense pages of text before Monday morning.

Last edited by saef; 04-05-2014 at 08:30 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #60  

Height: 5'7"

I LOVE the chicks on the head!!! That made my morning!
Saef- love your explanation of the hair place! Ha! Sorry it sounds like your weekend is not that great (to put it nicely).

Last edited by CalCounter1003; 04-05-2014 at 08:46 AM.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote