Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #31  

Hello Everyone!

Today is not going as good for me but I did my 4 miles this morning, And I am sticking to my plan. I haven't been getting as much sleep as I should for one thing

Judith Beck says it will be harder for a while, then it will be easier then it repeats like that over and over. So far I have found that to be true with losing weight and she says its that way with Weight Maintenance also.
ahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #32  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

- taking a vacation from everything and recalibrating this week!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Michele~what book is your book club reading?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #34  
Workin' It

Yes, Michele. Book recommendation from your book club, please. I bought and read all the available Alafair Burke Ellie Hatcher books, and now I'm at loose ends again. Allison, any you would recommend?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #35  

I am currently reading The Goldfinch. It's long and some people have complained that the writer is too wordy (thus making the book longer than it should be) but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I've looked at some of the books you've mentioned on FB and have read a couple of them. I think one was Heart Shaped Box (or was it Kara that mentioned it?). I looked into the Ellie Hatcher books but decided I have way too many unread on my Kindle to buy anything new right now.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #36  
Workin' It

Allison - Kara (Photochick, for those who don't know her IRL) and I both mentioned Heart Shaped Box I think. And I'm pretty sure I bought and read it. Though now I can't remember. Ah - just checked. Bought it, but don't seem to have read it. Maybe I should go through my own library. I read Snow Falling on Cedars after you mentioned it on FB, I think it was on sale that day on Kindle.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #37  

Snow Falling on Cedars is my all-time favorite book. I've read it twice and seen the movie.

Other books I've read recently, The Lowland, Sycamore Row (Grisham) and Orange is the new Black (never have seen the series).

It's funny looking over some of my unread books. I get daily emails from a couple sources that have free e-books available on Amazon and elsewhere. I'm sure a lot of my unread ones are the freebies. I have read a couple of the freebies and have liked those (The Boy Kings of Texas and The Dirty Parts of the Bible). I don't think they're free always--just that particular day.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #38  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I also recently finished reading The Goldfinch and really enjoyed it. SAEF - I think you would really appreciate the author's focus on craftsmanship, artistry and antique cabinetry. I know that as a neuroscientist interested in human behavior, I was fascinated by the detailed description of adolescent excess and addiction that is a major focus of the novel.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Sycamore Row - YES!! I'm a Grisham fan...
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Popping in to wave hi. I gave in a took the dog to daycare for her exercise yesterday because I knew I wouldn't give it to her, though I did go to my yoga class. By the time I went to class, then to the store, then spent an hour making a Greek salad and dressing (because I'd gotten the idea into my head and wanted one) I was tired and it was far too late to start any schoolwork, which is what I should have been doing last night.

Sigh. Treading water here and not moving anywhere.
Better treading the water Megan that the alternative.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #41  

Another reader here though I don't get as much reading time as I'd like (I'm about 20 hours short every week ). I just finished something kinda old - "Nobody's Fool" by Richard Russo (who wrote Empire Falls), and I also read and enjoyed Chris Hadfield's "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" (what would an astronaut do? was a catch phrase in my house for weeks).

I am proud to say I just completed a task that I initially was going to "bail and fail" on, a 600 word essay for my online Scandinavian media course. I had an aspiration to be a writer (about 1 million years ago) and was cured of that long ago. But I can still pull something semi-coherent out of my *ss on command and at extreme "back-to-the-wall" deadline. I don't write essays - never have - but I can do a reasonable job on a short piece of prose.

I'm off downstairs to set up the VCR for Vikings and then will probably go to bed at 8. but that seems to be working to get rid of this darn headcold.

Dagmar
Old 04-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #42  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Better treading the water Megan that the alternative.

Dagmar
That is very true, Dagmar. I did at least give the dog and myself a good wog after work yesterday, and did some schoolwork. BF stepped up and got dinner ready and cleaned the kitchen so I could shut myself in the office and study. And a seminar I organized for work yesterday went well. By the end of the day I felt a little better. I'm very happy it's Friday though. I just can't seem to keep up on sleep during the week no matter how hard I try.

We had to cancel our camping plans bc of uncertainty in the weather, so now I'm not sure what I'll do this weekend. If he's not off I'm sure BF will be working. His charter season is picking up. The usual, I suppose. Exercise, schoolwork, laundry, clean the house. Can you tell I'm excited?

I've never read most of these books mentioned and will have to look into them. My book club is reading Girl with the Pearl Earring right now, which I had missed the first time around but I loved it. Allison, I remember loving SFOC but haven't read it in about 10 years. Maybe I should revisit it.

Dagmar, I think the ability to BS 800 words is a skill that will get you far in life! I hope your cold goes away.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #43  

April showers OK but I'm supposed to be working in thunderstorms this afternoon. But the kitty and seagull barometers indicate otherwise. I'm hoping it all hits about 8 p.m. - I'll be tuning in to Vikings while wearing my version of PJ's.

Dagmar
Old 04-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #44  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Going out for sushi and sake tonight to end the week. I am craving something with avocado in it. The bathroom remodel is done and we took our first showers in it this morning - love it! This weekend will be the big but simple job of installing the closet system, figuring out a shelving concept for the linen closet, and sifting/sorting/moving everything from the floor of the bedroom to the closet. The dishwasher motor appears to be in its death throes. The noise is awful, but it is still cleaning the dishes really well. I could repair for 1/3 of the price of a new one; the old dishwasher is about 15 years old and has become occasionally a bit incontinent, so I'm leaning in the direction of new. Other than that ... planning a good swim on Saturday morning, and maybe the Hops for Hope (beer for bunnies) fundraiser.

Reading is an activity I woulda/shoulda/coulda make time to do. Since I face a computer and sit all day long, I find it kind of difficult to do even more sitting and staring when I get home.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Michele~what book is your book club reading?
Possession by A.S. Byatt.
Has anyone read it and what did you think??
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote