Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:45 AM   #16  

Ooh, I need this. I had about 3 ugly pounds and then I got sick last week so it's probably more now. I'm avoiding the scale until my designated Saturday morning weigh in. I just need to count those calories, avoid late night snacks and up the exercise. Maybe now the snow is melting I should be able to up my exercise. At least that's the plan. I'd like to get a new summer running outfit so if I get back to 130 that's my prize.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #17  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Pleasant surprise last night - I went back in to LoseIt to start with the calorie tracking again, and the entire app has updated. While I liked it before, I am really impressed with it now. I scanned 10 bar codes on various stuff in the pantry, and it was dead on with 9 of them and only slightly off on the other.

I've reserved my hotel rooms for our state championship swim meet at the end of March. It's only inducing a small amount of panic. Once I pick my events, the commitment goes up exponentially.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Pleasant surprise last night - I went back in to LoseIt to start with the calorie tracking again, and the entire app has updated. While I liked it before, I am really impressed with it now. I scanned 10 bar codes on various stuff in the pantry, and it was dead on with 9 of them and only slightly off on the other.

I've reserved my hotel rooms for our state championship swim meet at the end of March. It's only inducing a small amount of panic. Once I pick my events, the commitment goes up exponentially.
Becky Do you compete for the sake of competing or do you do it to win?

Dagmar
Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Becky-- do you have favorite strokes you swim? When I was on the swim team in my youth, I loved butterfly. Not to brag (ha ha), but I held the record for 9-10 butterfly for many years-- my name was on the wall and all.... I can barely swim it now though as I'm so out of practice!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Wow Michele! I was also on the swim team and my stroke was the butterfly! I didn't set any records, though!!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #21  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Too much snow here! We've been having the opposite weather of the lower 48, mostly warmer and dry. But yesterday we got 9-ish inches. My inlaws are out of town and we are going over there for lunch between piano and swimming today, so my husband cleared their driveway AND ours, which was about three hours of work even with a snowblower on theirs (ours requires the good, old fashioned method of snow removal).

So yeah, yesterday we were late all the way into the evening, and I'm dragging today.

I'm also having the fun side effect of weight loss - freezing my rear off. I actually had to take a second shower last night before bed because I was so cold it hurt. I raised my core temp a bit with a boiling shower, enough that I could fall asleep.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #22  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Dagmar, I am only competitive against myself. On a state level, I am usually guaranteed a top-6 finish in anything I swim, so I typically pick my events for the maximum amount of points for my team.

michele, my favorite is the backstroke and IMs, then the distance events. I haven't been in good enough shape for a long time to "enjoy" butterfly, but I think I can get back to it, eventually.

Very cool that there are other swimmers here! I'll make my pitch, again, for Masters swimming - it is HUGE fun and it is clear that nothing can stave off aging like swimming does!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #23  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Streaking to 51.

I met an acquaintance today in the supermarket. We chatted for a bit and then moved away from one another still talking a little.

Then she shouted down the aisle, "Silverbirch! Have you lost weight?"

And I did not say, "Yes! Nine pounds through determined effort since the beginning of January. I am on an incredible no butter or peanut butter streak. Don't you think I am fantastic?"

No.

I said, "Ooh. Do you think so?"

So then she said, "Oh yes, you have, you know. [Looking me up and down] Yes, you have."

I said, "Oh. Hmm. Well yes. See you then."

Friends, this is perfectly excellent. I'm keeping this up. Thanks for being here.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #24  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Silverbirch, did she check your teeth, too? That is quite an accomplishment to lose so much, quickly and with great determination. You and Allison are our "springing loose all-stars"!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #25  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Silverbirch, did she check your teeth, too? That is quite an accomplishment to lose so much, quickly and with great determination. You and Allison are our "springing loose all-stars"!
No need for her to check my teeth as her husband does that. He's my dentist! She worked there too at one point and so does know more about the inside of my mouth than most people do.

Thanks! I am finding it all quite amazing, actually. I can see three things which are contributing.

a) My perennial problems with my SI joint and just about everything even vaguely related to it seem to be practically under control.

b) My work has changed in nature somehow and I have more brain space to work out plans of attack.

c) The SO and I have somehow managed to change things round so I'm not doing so much of things which drive me up the wall.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #26  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Birchie, what a victory! Someone can SEE the difference in you!

You're an inspiration to me.

I've no idea what my scale will tell me this week. I feel like I've worked hard in the gym but I also feel as though I've eaten more than usual. I've been working this week on getting to bed earlier, and the thaw and the flood wall approval have changed my mood considerably from what it was earlier this week. Less stress & better sleep have to be good, don't they?

We'll see what number I get on the scale tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #27  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Yay for the one+ pound per week streaking off Silverbirch. Might lead one to conclude that there be calories in butter and peanut butter.

It's 52 degrees F out there right now. I'll shortly leave to walk to a late afternoon event and I might find myself overdressed, LOL.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Another former swimmer here - summer camp had someone who coached during the school season so he gave us the benefit of his knowledge. I was best at breaststroke, though I did prefer the crawl (as it was known back in the mid-sixties).

DH and I tried to go for a bit at a community centre and at a high school. The chlorine in the water killed our eyes, even with goggles. We also were so out of shape that after 2 consecutive lengths of the pool and I had to take a small break. DH had to stop after every length. Too tiring. We could barely pull ourselves out of the pool after about 30 minutes.

Dagmar
Old 02-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #29  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Relearning this week what I've always known: That perfectly executing my exercise routine, or even adding in an additional class, does not affect my weight at all if I'm not mindful of portions and snacking.

Because I'm up to 153.2. I thought I would be. I'm getting better at reading signs in my body and slight changes in what is puffy and how my arms and neck and stomach look.

Now off to the gym, a bit late, and in a dark mood, reflective of the rain, which is at least a result of mild temperatures and the blessed thaw.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Might lead one to conclude that there be calories in butter and peanut butter.
You shut your dirty mouth!!!!!!

Last edited by CherryPie99; 02-21-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Closed Thread