Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #376  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hmmm. I like lime in diet cola. And I like coconut. And I like half and half. I'm thinkin' it would be like a lime and coconut Coke float but without the ice cream--just the flavor. I'm curious.

A few Tater Tots might go well with it, Bill, but I think I'll pass on a plate that size!
Old 05-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #377  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
I join the crowd passing on dirty diet coke - even though I googled for the recipe.

Found, "It's surprisingly low calorie" - maybe, but it's even lower calorie to have a real cup of tea.

By-the-by, if you are drawn to dirty diet coke, consider serving it with Tator-Tot Nachos, LOL. They're a natural combo.
And what would Chef William recommend for dessert after that delectable meal?

Dagmar
Old 05-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #378  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Can't comment on the drink thing - fountain drinks in general have moved outside my edible sphere. The additives going into it sound okay together. Last night I combined coconut rum with pure cranberry juice and a squirt of orange - that worked out quite well too!

I remember Tater Tots! Didn't know they were still made. I thought they were particularly delightful with Worcestershire sauce.

About noon yesterday, my gfs and I decided it was going to be Pirate Night. That's when by noon at work, you're mentally yelling "AAARRRRRR" and are overcome with a desire to drink a lot of rum. The scale is up today, go figure.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #379  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Oh, no, now I can't get it out of my head: "Put da lime in de coconut and drink 'em all up."

I had on a v-neck sweater today over my shirt, but a remarkable number of midtown tourists were wearing camisoles and tank tops and floaty things with spaghetti straps, all because the sun came out for a few hours -- but now it has retreated behind big dramatic rain clouds. This must be why the gym was crammed today. Soon everyone's gonna be showing skin.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #380  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

I had a full-scale binge last night, the first in years. It was the kind where I actually hurt from eating too much. Yesterday my fiance left to visit friends, and it was the first night for at least a year where I was home alone (I am always the one going out of town, not him).

Anyway, I think the combination of work going quite badly,plus the stress and anxiety of wedding planning in my "free" time, and the wedding itself coming up soon, and being alone for the first time... it was a perfect storm of triggers. I woke up this morning full of self-hatred. Sigh.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #381  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry Jayzeejay. I hope you aren't still beating yourself up too badly.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #382  
critter lover

Thanks Michelle, I am trying not to - or to keep analyzing it to death. Just gotta move on.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #383  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

JayZeeJay, you have my sympathies as well. The out-of-control feeling is, I know, almost as miserable as the belly bloat. But it will pass, and you've got your head screwed on straight. Moving on is simple; you've got this.

ICUwishing, I don't understand why you said that you're not doing nearly enough on the physical activity front. It seems to me that your swimming has been intense and frequent. I don't think most of us here could do 1/2 of the yardage you do, and we're a pretty fit bunch.

I got back from Philly last night after a week away. DH was almost instantaneously angry with me because I asked him to come along to the year-end picnic for our kids' Hebrew school this morning (he wanted to get away from them after a week as the primary caregiver), and the 3 boys spent many minutes of the day sniping away at each other, with the 2 younger ones (8 and 12) ending the evening with a raspberry fight (they took the raspberries I gave them for fruit/dessert and pitched them, one at a time, at each other) that made a huge mess. They felt the punishment of being made to clean it all up, followed by being sent to opposite parts of the house to do housework instead of getting to read manga until bedtime was "totally worth it." Sigh. I can understand why some people start to use work as an escape from home. It was a sh*tty welcome back.

I am proud of myself for not resorting to excess food to drown my sorrows tonight.

Last edited by neurodoc; 05-04-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #384  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

JayZee, I've been there too. Onward!

Andrea, thanks - I'd call the swimming intense and not nearly frequent enough. I really need to be there 3 times a week, but it's the first thing that goes when the schedule gets cramped. While swimming is AWESOME and I love it, I do also recognize that it is not a complete fitness program. It does nothing for bone strength and isn't great for flexibility either. Sorry the homecoming wasn't what you hoped. Guys are hard to live with under the best of circumstances, and young men ... gah! Good luck re-civilizing the brutes this week!

All righty, I have a full week of scale readings and my Mon-Sun average. It's on.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #385  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

I am only 15 pounds away from goal but I seem to have lost my momentum. That is to say, I have been maintaining where I am at, which isn't a bad achievement, but I want to be maintaining 15 pounds lower. Which means I need to get back on the weight-loss wagon for another three months or so. I need encouragement to finish this race and get into maintenance for real.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #386  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shr1nk1ngme View Post
I am only 15 pounds away from goal but I seem to have lost my momentum. That is to say, I have been maintaining where I am at, which isn't a bad achievement, but I want to be maintaining 15 pounds lower. Which means I need to get back on the weight-loss wagon for another three months or so. I need encouragement to finish this race and get into maintenance for real.
You've come to the right place! Welcome!

Andrea-- kudos on not resorting to food. What an awesome welcome home reception!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #387  
critter lover

Thanks for the comfort, fellow maintaining chicks - like Andrea said, it's the out of control feeling that's scarier than the actual damage being done. If this continues, I will be a bloated blob draped in white at my wedding. Sort of a Stay-Puft marshmallow bride.

Andrea: forgive me for thinking that the raspberry fight will be a funny memory. But yes, that is a rotten welcome home from a trip.

Off-topic: California Chrome woot woot! The backyard-bred "nothing" from YUBA CITY takes the Derby!!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #388  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

My friend who grew up in Saratoga Springs (now THERE'S a horsey town for you) went home on Derby weekend to watch the race with friends and won $700 on California Chrome, which is pretty sweet considering the only reason she bet on that horse is because she really wants to leave NY and move to California, and she saw the horse's name as another "sign" of her destiny.

Me, I missed the Derby, as I was walking home in Manhattan from seeing a play, But "The Realistic Joneses," by a playwright whose dialogue I admire, Will Eno. Times Square was a chore to get through. If only there was a way of getting to the theater district without wading through crowds at all for any moment of the journey, and that didn't involve going way south or north & out of the way. Sometimes that energy is fun but other times it's just annoying and makes me feel claustrophic.

Operation Reach Out to Work-Estranged Friends is going well. Caught up with another one Saturday and invited her down for a long weekend at the end of the month.

If the sunlight will just stay around a little and seem more reliable, like it won't abandon us in a few days ... that would help.

Last edited by saef; 05-05-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #389  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

My reward for mostly abstaining from desserts, mid-afternoon coffee breaks and seconds in the lunch line last week, all the while walking at least 3 miles a day? A 2 pound gain on the scale this morning compared to the day I left for Philly. Guess that's the difference between a week of stress and work versus a week of vacation...
Old 05-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #390  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc
Guess that's the difference between a week of stress and work versus a week of vacation...
Exactly.
Closed Thread