3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Springing Loose those last few @*lbs@*kgs@*! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/292906-maintainers-springing-loose-those-last-few-%40%2Albs%40%2Akgs%40%2A.html)

CalCounter1003 03-22-2014 10:02 PM

Andrea – I get SO hungry when I get home from school. I usually get home around 4 and then DH doesn’t get home until 6 or later. Last year when I wasn’t dieting (and was gaining) I would have some dessert or something at 4, and then eat dinner when he got home even though I probably wasn’t hungry. Then have dessert again at 9 or 10! This school year I have started having either a hot tea or a diet hot chocolate when I get home. Somehow it holds me over until DH gets home. I like the fancy teas like Good Earth or other flavored ones, non-caffeine. The “diet hot chocolate” is just 25 calories --that’s the only fake sweetener I have. I just realized I could probably start having regular hot chocolate since I’m trying to add in some calories. Also I like Kind bars for my protein bars – sugar is low and calories aren’t too high.

Silverbirch – my family is into ear candling. I know it sounds weird! When I first heard of it about ten years ago I thought my friend was crazy! But then I tried it and now my family all loves it. In fact, my DD left today to go back to school and this morning she said “please do the ear candling on me” and then my husband wanted it to. If you read about it, there are a lot of warnings, but luckily it has worked great for us.

Michele- your DD sounds like mine – she always wants to try restaurants that she hears about that has “the best” this or whatever. Last summer I swear she ate her way through London and Europe. This summer, I guess we will be trying all “the best” whatever foods throughout CA! I will really have to watch it and walk a lot!

Saef – I know just what you mean. It does get exhausting having to be totally consumed with what you are consuming and being obsessed with exercise. Then what really makes me mad is how I allow my mood to be totally dependent upon the scale in the morning. When I’m in control of eating/exercise it’s like everything goes right. I’m in the “just reached goal stage” and still on a high from that. I can tell from reading everything here, that to maintain this loss, I’m going to have to be as obsessed as I was while losing! I can’t think about that long term as that would overwhelm me. I just have to think of it as a day at a time.

BillBlueEyes 03-22-2014 10:07 PM

Protein bars, granola bars are the same to me; they do nothing for my hunger. They're the same as liquid calories.

I've no better suggestions than offered - some item of real food at 4pm. An apple would work for me.

alinnell 03-23-2014 08:05 PM

I've pretty much given up on protein bars as well. A slice of cheese (although probably lower in protein and higher in calories) stays with me a LOT longer an I enjoy it more.

Mudpie 03-24-2014 05:43 AM

I'm up over 140 lbs :yikes: this morning. I never thought I'd see that # on my scale again but there it is.

Starting DOWN today. Starting weight is 141.4. Goal weight, by next Monday, is 139.9 or less. :yes:

The horrible head cold is still with me. I'ts still winter. But I have used these excuses long enough. I haven't felt "fat" in a long time. I feel "fat" today.

Dagmar :(

ICUwishing 03-24-2014 08:36 AM

One more week of surfing the tsunami of reactive life - I think. There's still the unknown of spousal travel schedule, but a couple of major stressors will be gone by 9pm Sunday night (state swim meet and DS's musicals). April 2 will be the final day of bathroom renovation and we can put that project behind us, and start the installation of the closet system and the organization/sorting mess of moving all our stuff back in there.

I have no idea what my weight is. :shrug: It's sort of like this swim meet - there are a number of events that I've signed up for (400 IM, 200 bk) that I have zero history with. I can't look back and guess how fast I "should" be, because that isn't fair to myself and the reality that I'm not in high school any more. I'm just going to do it, and see where I can go from that point forward. I think I'll take the same approach starting on 3/31 with my composition. That's the needle I'd really like to move. The weight number has lost its power to inspire/depress/interest me.

Sheila53 03-24-2014 02:57 PM

After maintaining my 100+ weight loss for eight years, I did something I've been thinking (but not doing much) about for several years. I finally lost my "baby" weight. It took me 35 1/2 years, but I now weigh what I weigh before I got pregnant with my first child.

It all started with an 8 week Biggest Loser challenge that my gym had. I was on vacation the first week so was at my redline weight when I started what would be my 7 week challenge. I managed to lose 17.2 lbs. and was 3rd runner up. The guy who won the grand prize of a free gym membership lost 23 lbs. and is still overweight. The 2nd place winner lost 19 lbs. and he still has more to lose. I think I did pretty well for someone in my 60s who didn't have that much to lose. Now I just need to maintain this weight.

alinnell 03-24-2014 03:32 PM

Wonderful Sheila! Way to go!!!

Mudpie 03-24-2014 04:40 PM

Sheila :bravo:

Dagmar

silverbirch 03-24-2014 05:41 PM

That's fantastic, Sheila! Well done!

neurodoc 03-24-2014 10:49 PM

Sheila, that's amazing - a note of inspiration to this board for sure.
As for me, I have walked out of the kitchen after dinner and locked myself in my bedroom 2 days in a row now. It's HARD - I feel like an addict, with all sorts of rationalizations about why I should be able to have just a cup of oats, how 150 calories is no big deal and that I'll just end up overeating dinner if I deprive myself afterward, but like Silverbirch, I'm going for a "streak." I know that in the long haul, I always eventually cave and start to snack (or binge) in the evenings, but I'm going to see how many nights I can before I resume, and if I can actually move the scale needle below 130 before I resume.

BTW, to those who commented that protein bars didn't quell your hunger (or keep it away), any thoughts on high protein (15-20 gm) snacks that work for you but don't need refrigeration? I alternate protein bars with beef jerky (and, for the record, neither is more effective than the other at making me eat less for dinner).

Andrea

BillBlueEyes 03-25-2014 05:04 AM

Congrats, Sheila - particularly for the thought of "baby weight" some 35 1/2 years later.

Wish you well, Andrea, finding the right snack. Humus dipped with red bell pepper strips works to satisfy my hunger, but it doesn't come close to your desire for 15-20 grams of protein. Only my protein shake has that much and it falls into that category of liquid calories that have no effect on my hunger.

Mudpie 03-25-2014 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neurodoc (Post 4970080)
Sheila, that's amazing - a note of inspiration to this board for sure.
As for me, I have walked out of the kitchen after dinner and locked myself in my bedroom 2 days in a row now. It's HARD - I feel like an addict, with all sorts of rationalizations about why I should be able to have just a cup of oats, how 150 calories is no big deal and that I'll just end up overeating dinner if I deprive myself afterward, but like Silverbirch, I'm going for a "streak." I know that in the long haul, I always eventually cave and start to snack (or binge) in the evenings, but I'm going to see how many nights I can before I resume, and if I can actually move the scale needle below 130 before I resume.

BTW, to those who commented that protein bars didn't quell your hunger (or keep it away), any thoughts on high protein (15-20 gm) snacks that work for you but don't need refrigeration? I alternate protein bars with beef jerky (and, for the record, neither is more effective than the other at making me eat less for dinner).

Andrea

Andrea, do you also have a snack before dinner? If not maybe a small greek yogurt - 100 cals - at around 4-5 p.m. would help? And you're not alone in locking yourself in the bedroom - I'm going upstairs after dinner, away from all food things, and closing myself (door doesn't lock) into my office to force myself to do all sorts of neglected things. Then I come down for 1 hour of pre-selected TV and eat my fruit - already portioned right after dinner and left in a bowl on the coffee table. I'm trying to replace random "bad" habits with good ones to develop a healthier evening routine.

Netflix has been a real bonus for us. I'm alternating between watching "Justified" and "Lilyhammer" each night, with an occasional epi of "Wallender" thrown into the mix. Since I've pre-selected things that don't bore me I find I'm engaged with the TV, rather than just killing time which leads to eating. Aside from 2 programs - "Walking Dead" and "Good Wife" - there is not much on cable I find interesting.

Dagmar :flow2:

CalCounter1003 03-25-2014 05:59 AM

Sheila, congratulations! Very inspirational!!

silverbirch 03-25-2014 07:24 AM

neurodoc, a while ago you posted your typical day's food but I can't find it now. Do you have very little protein at lunchtime and a lot of veg? Or, put it another way, would more protein at lunchtime help you to get over the 4pm crash?

There's around 6.3g protein in a hard-boiled egg (eat the yolk, obviously). I would say you don't need a fridge. You could always have an insulated bag if your workplace is ridiculously hot.

Re the 4pm crash. Sometimes, yes, I'm hungry but more often I'm tired and I need a rest. Or I'm bored and I need a change of activity. Or I'd like to do something (anything!) other than what I have to do next.

bargoo 03-25-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheila53 (Post 4969826)
After maintaining my 100+ weight loss for eight years, I did something I've been thinking (but not doing much) about for several years. I finally lost my "baby" weight. It took me 35 1/2 years, but I now weigh what I weigh before I got pregnant with my first child.

It all started with an 8 week Biggest Loser challenge that my gym had. I was on vacation the first week so was at my redline weight when I started what would be my 7 week challenge. I managed to lose 17.2 lbs. and was 3rd runner up. The guy who won the grand prize of a free gym membership lost 23 lbs. and is still overweight. The 2nd place winner lost 19 lbs. and he still has more to lose. I think I did pretty well for someone in my 60s who didn't have that much to lose. Now I just need to maintain this weight.

Congratulations !