3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Weekly Chat February 17 - February 23

Old 02-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

I'm home today. It snowed overnight (3-4"), and my contractors and inspectors can't negotiate our driveway unless it's clear. So, as soon as it was light enough, I spent almost an hour and a half clearing snow.

Allison, I had to take a bunny to the vet yesterday for nail issues! We were bad bunny owners and let his nails get too long - he ripped one out while sprinting around the living room. That CAN'T feel good. I had the vet tech show us all the nuances and tricks; I think we'll be good from here.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)156/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Ya'll are reminding me that I could use a manicure.

And I'm astonished to report that the sun just came out.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #18
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Height: 5'4"

Okay, now I feel even worse that Carter's nails are giant monstrosities. Sigh. If only it didn't require two people to do his nails.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #19

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I dremmel both of my dogs nails down once per week. Keeps them pretty short and nice and smooth instead of the sharp edges from cutting.

Feeling pretty good so far this week. My weight has taken happy dive and I am now 2 pounds under my redline. We actually saw some sun and temps into the 30's yesterday. Makes me hope that spring might actually get here!! Sounds like all of us are headed for a much needed warm up.

Jen

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #20
Recovering Pantry Pest

So, yesterday the melting began. And now it is apparent that our roof is leaking around the kitchen skylight. Can't wait to find out how much this is going to cost in terms of money and aggravation. It's funny how stuff breaks in groups - we've recently had to do significant repairs on 2 of 3 vehicles, DH broke the clips on both of his phone cases, and for some reason it seems like every bulb in the house is burning out together. It's very odd. I have been re-reading an exceptionally fascinating book called "The Divine Matrix" by Gregg Braden, and it addresses these weird groupings. I think I am going to skip ahead and take another look at that chapter.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #21

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Second class of dog obedience last night. It started off horribly as ALL the dogs were reactive and barking and not listening. Finally most calmed down. Bogey did very will--got 2nd place in sit-stay, learned down VERY quickly and we were taught how to do loose leash walking. Next week will be the down-stay test as well as demonstrating how well we mastered loose leash walking.

I have yet to dremel Bogey's nails, although I did it for Chico for years. Misty hates to have her feet held so we do a quick snip with clippers for her when we are able.

Becky~my parents, after experiencing roof leaks for two years, installed heat tape on the roof so when it snows they turn it on and the snow melts faster. Apparently the buildup of snow often allows more moisture under roof tiles and that causes a leak which, if there had been no buildup, there would be no leak.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #22
Recovering Pantry Pest

allison, this is the first winter that I can think of where the snow actually sat on the roof for a month straight! No doubt there had to be a bit of melting/refreezing going on at that window; it probably peeled the flashing right up. Ordinarily, our roof is extremely good at shedding any melt and we are really careful to monitor buildup. I think that because this skylight is now 14 years old and I don't think we've done much in the way of maintenance to the flashing, it's finally come back to bite us. Many of our neighbors that have the flatter roof slopes use the heat tape - it is a wonderful invention!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #23

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Yay for Bogey!! I am going to insult all lab owners here, but I think you'll find the Shepherd in him might learn a little faster and they tend to be a little more eager to please.

We're experiencing melting here, too, and I always hold my breath waiting for something on my 200+ year old house to break loose!

I also am anxious for melting so that I can survey the outdoors and see how much damage there is to the trees from the ice storm we had in Decembe.

I ordered some new baby chicks they'll be in next month - a sure sign of spring!

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #24
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)156/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I logged onto a jubilant or at least cautiously optimistic email this morning: Finally, a year after our initial application, the zoning board has granted approval for my apartment complex to build a flood wall.

Just when I've got flooding on my mind, as the thaw has begun here, too, with loads of snow sliding suddenly off the roof and streams of water across the parking lot, and potential ice dams in the local rivers.

I do so much deferral and denial in my life toward some end that's further off, that a payoff feels me a little bit at a loss: Really? Something finally happened?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #25

S/C/G: 178/122/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Okay, now I feel even worse that Carter's nails are giant monstrosities. Sigh. If only it didn't require two people to do his nails.
Take him to Petco (or the like). I brought my two in on Monday for nail trims. It cost me $15 per dog to dremel them. If I just wanted the trim, it would have been $10 each. I know they are much happier with nails that aren't so long.

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
298/365 workouts
234 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #26
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I logged onto a jubilant or at least cautiously optimistic email this morning: Finally, a year after our initial application, the zoning board has granted approval for my apartment complex to build a flood wall.
Saef, this is wonderful news. I'm so pleased for you all.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #27
Recovering Pantry Pest

saef, to finally getting a wall! I can also appreciate the sentiment of "it really happened?"

Jen, I'm also happy to see the thaw ... but somewhat alarmed about where all this water is going to go. We easily still have 18" of snow on the ground. I am sure, though, that our honeybees will be very happy to have an opportunity to get out and away from the hive, if for only a minute. It's supposed to be in the mid 40's tomorrow, but also raining.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #28

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We need to figure out a way to get all the snow run-off from you guys out here to the west where we need it so desperately! They built an oil pipeline--why not a water pipeline?

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #29
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Height: 5'4"

Michele, I would totally shell out $15 to get Carter's nail done but Petco refuses to do his nails because he is too aggressive (fear aggression). He really, really, REALLY hates having his feet touched. We have on occasion taken him to the vet and had him knocked out to get his nails trimmed. Before his back injury we'd been working on desensitizing him and it was going well, but then we lost all the progress we'd made and now we are too busy.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:13 AM   #30

S/C/G: 178/122/125

Height: 5'5"

Sorry to hear that Jessica. Many dogs freak out when their feet are touched. Does he have dewclaws? They are the thumbnails. If so, it is very important they don't get too long as they can curl inwards and grow into the paw.

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
298/365 workouts
234 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.