Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Allison A baby gate will not stop a young determined sheperd with a high prey drive. Please make sure there is a closed (preferably locked) door between Bogey and any cat in the vicinity.

I saw a high prey drive dog kill a cat. Not an easy death for the cat.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

However, I wouldn't make the assumption is it a high prey drive per se - we had a German Shepherd for years and she loved to make the cats RUN so she could HERD them. She'd lunge to make them run and chase them but NEVER would do anything aggressive if she caught them....

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #33  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
However, I wouldn't make the assumption is it a high prey drive per se - we had a German Shepherd for years and she loved to make the cats RUN so she could HERD them. She'd lunge to make them run and chase them but NEVER would do anything aggressive if she caught them....

Jen
Once Bogey's personality and interactions with the cats have been assessed then, and only then, should he be allowed to freely interact with them. Dogs are very fast - it only takes a couple of seconds for one to grab a cat.

Dagmar
Old 02-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

The first day Bogey was home, he was off leash and managed to find Ringo. Ringo was in my son's computer chair--hissing, growing and spitting (never seen a cat drool before!). Bogey was interested in him but afraid to get too close and at one time managed to get behind the cat and realized he was trapped. Later he came into the house (even though I was trying to keep him out) and he met Louie nose to nose which Louie did not like. Louie backed up, Bogey moved forward and that made Louie run. Bogey of course chased. Neither time did he seem to want to hurt either cat. He wants to know what they are all about. But until I can trust him, he will be on leash inside at all times (unless he is locked in a room by himself or kenneled). After we do basic and intermediate obedience I'll assess him and if he doesn't seem to be making headway I'll consider a private trainer for him. My friend in Arizona did it with her pit/Lab mix and it was an amazing transition for her dog (he was dog aggressive).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #35  

I'm seeing a future of love and peace! All of my cats grew up with dogs, but every time they meet a new one they hiss and and generally act like drama kings and queens lol.

Hopefully we're boring all the non pet people out there but I have to share this link that someone sent me today! I cried....

http://www.reshareworthy.com/20-facts-for-dog-lovers/
Old 02-14-2014, 05:30 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post

Hopefully we're boring all the non pet people out there but I have to share this link that someone sent me today! I cried....

http://www.reshareworthy.com/20-facts-for-dog-lovers/
This kinda clearly illustrates the difference between me and a lot of pet owners. I love my cats and really like all the dogs and cats I interact with on the job. But they are ANIMALS to me, not little people in furry coats. So I treat them like animals. One or two gestures and physical touches speak volumes to an animal. Having a chat with them in English (or whatever language predominates among their humans) is, in MHO, pretty much just for us.

So a lot of these "facts" for dog owners are not really relevant in my world.

Dagmar
Old 02-14-2014, 05:56 AM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
The first day Bogey was home, he was off leash and managed to find Ringo. Ringo was in my son's computer chair--hissing, growing and spitting (never seen a cat drool before!). Bogey was interested in him but afraid to get too close and at one time managed to get behind the cat and realized he was trapped. Later he came into the house (even though I was trying to keep him out) and he met Louie nose to nose which Louie did not like. Louie backed up, Bogey moved forward and that made Louie run. Bogey of course chased. Neither time did he seem to want to hurt either cat. He wants to know what they are all about. But until I can trust him, he will be on leash inside at all times (unless he is locked in a room by himself or kenneled). After we do basic and intermediate obedience I'll assess him and if he doesn't seem to be making headway I'll consider a private trainer for him. My friend in Arizona did it with her pit/Lab mix and it was an amazing transition for her dog (he was dog aggressive).
It sounds like you have the situation well in hand Allison. I'm sure Bogey will learn the cats are "off limits" with all the training you are planning. I'm going to use your on leash strategy in my own house if I get my planned dog and cat in the future.

Dagmar
Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #38  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I have a feeling there will be a puppy in our house in the future; I am finding the hunting dog magazines lying around again. That will be a challenge for the two resident bunnies. There will have to be a lot of gates, attention, and training.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
This kinda clearly illustrates the difference between me and a lot of pet owners. I love my cats and really like all the dogs and cats I interact with on the job. But they are ANIMALS to me, not little people in furry coats. So I treat them like animals. One or two gestures and physical touches speak volumes to an animal. Having a chat with them in English (or whatever language predominates among their humans) is, in MHO, pretty much just for us.

So a lot of these "facts" for dog owners are not really relevant in my world.

Dagmar
Wow, that really surprises me! I don't see them as little people, but my cats and dogs are very much members of my family. And when I talk, even when I'm not talking specifically to my dogs, I see them starting at me and their nubs just wagging like crazy, so I know they like to hear the sound of my voice.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #40  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

After yesterday's storm, which lasted until the early morning hours, I'm feeling thankful that I don't have to park on the street anymore, as I did for almost 10 years in my last neighborhood. I'll still have to excavate my car, but if I drive anywhere, there will be empty parking spaces in my apartment complex to pull into when I return. I won't stay home out of fear that someone will steal my carefully carved-out spot, leaving me with nowhere to go & circling the block for a half-hour or thinking up other errands hoping someone pulls out while I'm waiting.

We had every conceivable form of precipitation yesterday, from hard, thickly falling snow, to blowing snow, to gentle, prettily falling snow, to sleet, to rain, and then a thunderstorm, which continued into the sleet, and then snow all over again. I've never experienced anything like that before.

I'm postponing going out and cleaning off my car, but I do need to leave my apartment again. Because we'll get more snow tomorrow, they say. And I want more asparagus and strawberries.

And oh, of course: Happy Valentine's Day! With affection toward you all for your listening ear and support through the year.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #41  

Default Eek!

I am not a screamer. But I spent about 15 minutes chasing a live mouse around this afternoon (no, not a planned part of the cat sit) and I screamed like a siren when it jumped at and over me.

Seriously this mouse should be part of Circe de Soleil. I was crouching down to try to drop a container over it and it jumped about 2 feet up and about a foot over me and ran down the hall. The cat was no more successful catching it.

I think this afternoon counts for some aerobic exercise for us both!

Dagmar
Old 02-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #42  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

LMAO at the image of Dagmar couched over the mouse.

Yep, you've been awarded 100 points of aerobic exercise for the day.

And so has the mouse.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #43  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I am not a screamer. But I spent about 15 minutes chasing a live mouse around this afternoon (no, not a planned part of the cat sit) and I screamed like a siren when it jumped at and over me.

Seriously this mouse should be part of Circe de Soleil. I was crouching down to try to drop a container over it and it jumped about 2 feet up and about a foot over me and ran down the hall. The cat was no more successful catching it.

I think this afternoon counts for some aerobic exercise for us both!

Dagmar
Dagmar, Shouldn't you post this on the exercise thread?
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote