Maintainers Weekly Chat February 3 - February 9

You're on Page 6 of 6
Go to
  • My FIL stopped driving because he felt that he wasn't doing it as well as he had before, despite that meaning that he had to ride while his wife drove. Just an amazing decision from an amazing man.

My MIL, on the other hand, resisted all suggestions that she stop. One day she returned home and asked the grandson to check her rear view mirror, "Something isn't right." 'Not right,' indeed; it was gone! Apparently, she had side-swiped someone and hadn't noticed. That was her last drive.
  • I'd love to live in a senior community that has everything but have you seen the prices? Ouch! I could probably afford just a month or two.

The RV park where we bought the lot for my in-laws is kind of a senior living community. While some still have cars most do get around by golf cart. The only thing lacking there is close proximity to grocery shopping. It's about a mile away which isn't bad but I don't like the area much.

I've mentioned moving to certain areas to DH and he usually responds that most of the places I choose are not as nice as I seem to think. IDK. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
  • Quote: I'd love to live in a senior community that has everything but have you seen the prices? Ouch! I could probably afford just a month or two.

The RV park where we bought the lot for my in-laws is kind of a senior living community. While some still have cars most do get around by golf cart. The only thing lacking there is close proximity to grocery shopping. It's about a mile away which isn't bad but I don't like the area much.

I've mentioned moving to certain areas to DH and he usually responds that most of the places I choose are not as nice as I seem to think. IDK. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
    Oh, I think they are as nice and also twice as expensivem
  • Today, just two weeks after putting Chico down, we welcomed Bogey into our home. He's 1 1/2 and a Lab/Shepherd mix. He is super sweet and I have not heard him bark yet. But the cats are not amused. They will take some time.
  • Awwwwwww!! PICS - I DEMAND PICS!!!
  • Pics will come soon. I only took one today and I'll do more tomorrow after he decides not to chase the cats so much.

He's beautiful. Black with undertones of brown from his shepherd background. And a teeny bit of white on his feet. His eyes! DH thinks he must be a vampire from Twilight. They're so light! (Only Twilight readers would get this).
  • Welcome Bogey!!!You will not find a better home. What does Misty think ?
  • Welcome Bogey!!! So happy for you Allison! Yes, please share pictures when you get the chance.

I just listened to a Science Friday podcast from several weeks ago about "smart cars". The interviewee seemed to think that in the next 15 years or so, cars will be able to drive us everywhere, not vice versa. If there is an accident whoever will pay will be whoever's computer malfunctioned. He talked about how this could be game changing for senior citizens. The timeline seemed a bit ambitious to me but what a thought. If it worked it would allow so many people to maintain independence.
  • Megan, I was just writing about this on the job this past Friday. It's called vehicle-to-vehicle communication, and in the U.S., it eventually may become a requirement on new cars. Drivers will still be autonomous and responsible, the system will just give us information. It could cut down considerably on accidents, but it will take time before the new cars proliferate enough to make a difference as old cars without this technology get retired and junked.

Sometimes I wish I could put my car on the equivalent of a set of train tracks to be driven for me along the route while I do other things. Usually this is when I'm on a very long stretch of highway driving, particularly on the NY State Thruway and heading Upstate for five hours straight. Why not take the train then? It takes too long, stopping at all those stations, it follows a longer route than I've drive, to include those stations, but above all, I can pack my car full of stuff, where all that luggage would be extremely burdensome. I buy lots of stuff Upstate that is cheaper there than down here, and I also export some luxury goods for my mother & myself that are hard to get up there.

I'm happy any time an animal finds a home, particularly among this group, since you all seem like such loving caregivers.
  • My husband's new car is smarter than my car. His adaptive cruise control keeps a certain distance between his car and the one ahead. Say he sets his CC at 70 MPH and the traffic slows to 55--his car automatically slows to 55 and if it clears up it goes back to 70 AND if traffic slows very fast his car puts the brakes on. It's really amazing. Also, if he's driving and someone pulls out in front of him, the brakes go on and a warning light shows on the dash board. (2014 Ford Explorer.)

Bogey definitely has shepherd in him. He's much more intense like a shepherd and not as mellow as a Lab. But he was really good last night in his kennel and we left him in there during golf this morning and although he cried a bit when we left, he was good and didn't destroy the new pad I got to put in the kennel (Chico destroyed at least 3 or 4 of them!). He still wants to chase the cats so I'm looking to buy a baby gate to keep the cats in the kids' bedrooms when he is out. I'm hoping they all get along eventually.
    Bogey
  • Lovely dog.
  • He is Beautiful!!!! And those eyes are so freaky looking in the most awesome way!!

And no worries - the cats and he will be best friends before you know it!!

Jen
  • Oh, what a sweet looking dog! Congrats on your new addition!

Today I went skiing for the first time since...college? It was pretty fun! I'd love to go again, though it's probably not in the budget anytime soon, as I don't own my own equipment and have to rent skis AND buy a lift ticket.

Ate lunch I the ski lodge. Eating out, especially in a fast/junk food environment, is pretty stressful for me, but I think I managed not to show it. I had packed along a quest bar in case I just couldn't face whatever the options were, and then I dithered some about just getting a cup of soup, but I was quite hungry and I am trying to encourage myself to order "normal" things, so I went with a baked potato with almost all the toppings, including a whole cup of chili but no cheese or sour cream. And I'm trying not to second guess the calorie estimate I made for that lunch so I can eat my stir-fry. I'd really like to feel less anxious about eating in social situations. I think if I were on my own I might have just got a cup of soup or the quest bar, but I didn't want to be weird when everyone else was ordering bigger things. And I think what I did order will fit my calories just fine. I just wish I could stop worrying and overthinking it so much. I don't know, though. I mean, if I didn't think about the calories in my food, experience has shown that I would put on a lot of weight. So I'm always going to have to be aware of it. I'd just like to be aware but not anxious.
  • On Feb first I bought a new TV. Today it quit working.
  • Quote: On Feb first I bought a new TV. Today it quit working.
    That sucks!

Dagmar