Maintainers Moving Through Winter: The Sequel

You're on Page 6 of 8
Go to
  • Thanks. That means a lot from a pro!

Yes, I can do the resting the calves on the roller thing but I can't support my body on my hands and move back and forth. My wrists hate it.

I've tried with different balls but they keep pinging out and rolling away! I'll try again. No lax ball here but there is a golf ball and a tennis ball.

Do you find you have to keep your floor really clean? The first night I did it I got a splinter in my wrist (the best space is in front of the wood burner). It's a dangerous business, keeping fit.
  • No issue with splinters! We are all carpet!

February 18: P90X Core Synergistics (58 minutes)
    7 miles running treadmill incline 2% (1:01:03)
    30 minutes foam rolling
  • Feb 19: 10 min treadmill running, 30 min stair stepping
  • February 19: P90X Legs and Back (58 minutes)
    30 minutes foam rolling
  • Wednesday, Feb. 19th:

45 minute spin class, a hard one, though I think I'm beginning to feel my added leg work day pay off

Thursday, Feb. 20th:

Another 5K of more than 38 minutes on the treadmill, running for 10 minutes straight at 5.3, then alternating walking with two minutes at 5.6, then 5.3 again and finally the last minute at 6.0.

Once again four sets of five deadlifts at 100 lbs., and I'm ready to go higher. I have got to get out of this "more reps is better" and go for higher weight.

And back to the gym at night for 60 minute Pilates mat class. Still trying to get back to where I was three weeks ago. Teacher said I'm flinging myself too much in rollups where I used to do them with more fluidity. (Mind you, "used to" was just a month ago!) She says core & abs is a "high maintenance" area and it's easy to regress, which is depressing.

I may get in an extra class tomorrow morning -- the yoga teacher's out for the 9:30 AM class, so there will be Pilates in that time slot instead, & I have a quiet day scheduled at work & may play hooky & sneak out to Pilates. As I said, I'm determined to get back to where I was ... about seven missed classes ago.
  • Quote: Feb. 16: wanted to do back to back bikram but my back started killing me about 2/3 through class so it didn't happen. 100 minutes bikram yoga

Feb. 17: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
    19 workouts
    1825 minutes
    Feb. 18: more bikram-- 100 minutes

Feb. 19: and more bikram-- 100 minutes-- 16 days straight at bikram

Totals:
    21 workouts
    2025 minutes
  • Quote: Once again four sets of five deadlifts at 100 lbs., and I'm ready to go higher. I have got to get out of this "more reps is better" and go for higher weight.
    I'll try to find that article, saef, but there was recently a study done that indicates except for when you are trying to build LARGE muscles rapidly that more reps at lower weight might actually be more beneficial, especially for women, then low reps at extremely high weight.

FWIW, almost every exercise I do, I do 3 sets of 12 rather then try to kill myself and lift really heavy for only a few reps, and I have pretty good muscle tone...

Jen
  • February 20: 7.18 miles running OUTSIDE (58:08)
    45 minutes core and ab work
    30 Minutes foam rolling
  • Quote: Feb. 18: more bikram-- 100 minutes

Feb. 19: and more bikram-- 100 minutes-- 16 days straight at bikram

Totals:
    21 workouts
    2025 minutes

Feb. 20: 100 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
    22 workouts
    2125 minutes
  • Friday, Feb. 21st:

30 minutes on the StairMaster, as usual, and it was of course a killer
    60 minutes back & biceps
    60 minutes Pilates mat class, easier than usual because this was a substitute for the absent yoga instructor's class, so it was mostly yoga devotees who hadn't done Pilates before
  • 2/21: Rushed 20 min AM workout. Leg press, bench dips, barbell face pulls/rows, 100 jump squats, planks
  • February 21: 6.25 miles running treadmill incline 2% (54:47) AND then we noticed a HUGE crease in the treadmill belt!!!! WTF?
    So - 10 minutes elliptical - ramp angle 30% resistance of 5
    P90X 2 Yoga (66 minutes)
    30 minutes foam rolling
  • February 22: 60 minutes weight lifting (lats delts biceps)
    4 miles walking with dogs (1:02:54)
    P90X 2 Yoga (66 mins)
    30 minutes foam rolling
  • Saturday, Feb. 22nd:

60 minute spin class, me skipping the weight intervals again, hoping the instructor doesn't say anything to me about this. I do all the moves except the weights and resistance bands, and during those, I just sit & peddle hard at a decent resistance. I think I am actually getting a better workout this way.
    60 minute Pilates mat class. Okay, it's been four Pilates classes in seven days, and I have nearly gotten my mojo back, and I'm gonna drop back to my usual twice a week.

And walking around midtown and the west side this afternoon, where there is no snow. None. I mean, yeah, some tiny icy dirty ridges right along the tops of the curbs, but nothing else, not in the streets, not on the sidewalks. Amazing what public works money can buy.
  • Yoga class 75 min. Wed going for eval with Iyengar yoga practitioner to address my hip issue. I dislike spinning, the the only cardio exercise that my hip tolerates.