3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Weekly Chat January 27 - February 2

Old 01-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #31
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Height: 5'4"

Dagmar, it is cold but beautiful!

I saw this interesting article from a link on Facebook and thought you folks would be interested: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...YOUR-life.html

The summary is: a pair of identical twin doctors went on a diet. One went no carb, the other went no fat. Both lost weight. The one who went no carb lost more weight and didn't feel hungry, but felt sluggish and thick-headed and performed more poorly on physical tasks than his brother. The one who went no fat was hungry and snacking all the time and lost less weight, but outperformed his brother on physical tasks and had no mental side effects.

The gist of their finding is that the healthiest weight loss diet includes a balance of carbs, protein, and fat, in moderate quantities. They also postulate that the foods that are the most "addictive" are ones that have high levels of sugar AND fat, like ice cream, chocolate, etc., as opposed to foods with fat alone or sugar alone.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #32
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

Dagmar, while the photos are beautiful, I can't bring myself to be jealous about your job, . I am so winter-weather-weary right now that an ice cube in a glass of water is repulsive.

jessica, your girls are SO cute! Not sure I agree with the article's conclusion specifically with the sugar/fat combo, though from what I see around me it's certainly valid for a very large group. My downfall has always been the salt/fat combo in crunchy forms; sweet stuff isn't all that interesting or attractive to me, but do NOT get between me and Cheezits in weak moments!

Swan and joyofsix, welcome!

Megan, I hope the radical weather is getting past you and not too much damage was done. Sorry you're having to endure immaturity at work. The bathroom tearout started on schedule on Monday this week, and they already have everything gutted, the new walls framed in, some of the new plumbing, and the shower pan set. It is scary how fast pros can work - I guess that's why it costs so much (because it's worth it!). We haven't had to deal with much beyond really freaking cold weather here. The kids in our area lost 3 more school days because of wind chills. Today it breaks ... thank goodness. My neck has been whacked out from being all hunched against the cold for so long!

Today's my annual performance evaluation. It's hard to work up any emotion about it - the process is so convoluted, pre-determined, and political that there is no value to it. I am more annoyed that it will take 30 minutes out of my day than anything else.

Last edited by ICUwishing : 01-30-2014 at 08:25 AM.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #33

Oh Dagmar,your pictures are wonderful.I can feel the cold right through the computer.I'll bet the wind near the lake is quite biting.Thanks for sharing them with us.
apo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #34

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good luck on the evaluation, Becky. And I hear you on that ice cube even though I don't live in such cold conditions. When it is colder (we're having an unseasonably hot winter) I can't get myself to eat grapefruit for breakfast. I need something hot. This year, not so much. And I'm eating more salads at dinner which is unheard of for me this time of year. Obviously I'm doing something right as I am losing.

Jessica~I've always believed "everything in moderation" meaning I don't particularly cut out any one thing from my diet. Don't talk to me about Paleo as I could never go grain-free in my diet! And I do believe a certain amount of fat is essential for the body to believe it is getting what it wants.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #35

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Shannon, Are you OK? I have been reading about the severe weather in Atlanta.I hope it has not affected you too severely,
Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #36

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Shannon has been posting on Facebook. They've had a terrible time with driving but she and her family are well.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #37
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Wonderful pictures, Dagmar! Thank you for posting them.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #38
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Thanks for asking, Bargoo. I'm well, as Allison said. I left my office at 10:50 am on Tuesday, and was in that last wave of exit before the madness hit. My drive was pretty normal, but starting to slush. My friends and neighbors didn't all fare so well - I had many in their cars for 7-8 hours, some who didn't get home until after midnight, and two who didn't get home until the next morning. One friend's husband spent 23 hours on a commuter bus. It has been a tough time in the ATL this week.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #39
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)156/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

On Tuesday morning, it was -8 degrees here when I headed to the gym. This morning, thankfully, it was 5 degrees, and in the late afternoon, I think finally, for the first time since I arrived, it hit the 20s.

I've visited the eye doctor and the dentist, paid my car insurance in person, sat in a bank office moving around money, gotten my nails done, called the furniture restorer and nagged him about my cheval mirror, and just now I'm drinking Diet Coke to soothe my throat and trying not to cough, because it hurts a little when I do. Yes, I got a head cold. I rather prefer my soda lukewarm, for the same reasons that Becky describes.

I feel as though I will never, ever be warm again.

Even my mother's backyard bird feeders are deserted except for the great big Pileated woodpecker gorging on suet.

Jen, the evening news is full of your weather, but I'll be gone from here by the time the trend shifts a little further south.

Shannon, my company's Atlanta office simply shut down and advised all employees to stay home and work from home, which impressed me, because like all employers with a very active sales force, they hate shutting off the lights at home. I'm so glad you headed home early. Did you just make the decision to go, or was there a general early release?

Last edited by saef : 01-30-2014 at 04:58 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #40

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

A backyard Pileated woodpecker is a honking BIG DEAL. That's not a common bird around here.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #41
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Seaf - I only left because my husband was up at 4am watching the news after being up with it until well after midnight and he said "if you aren't home by 11 you won't make it. This will turn and freeze and no one is going to be prepared for that." And he was right, almost to the minute. There was no early release - schools were open, and didn't announce early closures until late morning, if they closed early at all. Business didn't close. The news suggested not being on the road after noon, but nothing shut down or changed anything. By noon the roads were already impassable and it was too late.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:11 AM   #42
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)156/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Shannon, good for your husband for paying close attention, for staying alert and observing what was actually happening, and communicating with you -- and good for you for listening to him and making your own decision, regardless of what was happening all around you.

Here in Upstate NY, the roads are currently bone-white with salt residue, as are all of the cars from the back-splashing while traveling. My boots are salt-stained and so is my gym bag. I've even got some white dust from salt on my winter coat.

This is part of the difference between Upstate and downstate regarding the winter, I think.

Upstate, a hard winter is the rule, not the exception, and so it's budgeted for. Because they'd be stupid not to. It's a critical function of government up here, keeping the roads passable. The highway crews start every winter with mountains of rock salt piled up inside enormous sheds. There are mostrously large plows and salt-spreading trucks. There is a planned response; they're good at executing on it.

Downstate, the attitude is, "Well, we'll budget just a little, but hope & pray that we'll be passed over this winter, or just have a few isolated incidents of winter." The planning isn't very good; it's reactive and ad hoc. That attitude that winter won't have many storms may now be outdated; maybe it always was outdated.

Bill, my mother lives right at the edge of a game management area, and close to farms, overgrown former farms and wood lots. Those pileated woodpeckers like a certain square yardage of woodlots with trees at a particular level of maturity. You probably need more trees or older trees. They are quite a spectacular bird, with that flaming-red punk-rock hairdo. They are also wary, unlike the chickadees: No sudden movements at the window, or they'll take off.

I'm sick of spitting phlegm into tissues. I will head to the gym this a.m. and drive downstate again later today, and hope that I don't run into traffic due to some kind of Superbowl-related weekend migration.

Last edited by saef : 01-31-2014 at 06:11 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #43
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Height: 5'4"

Saef, good luck getting back downstate on superbowl weekend. I feel like the people of NJ are probably pretty grouchy about now between having the superbowl but all the hype being about NY and that debacle with the governer's staffers shutting down a bridge to get back at a mayor somewhere. At least, that's what they're reporting on the news out here.

Shannon, glad you got home safely. I admit when I first heard about what was happening down south I had the reaction of, "How could people get stuck in their cars overnight with only 2 inches of snow?" but then I heard about the ice from a friend in Alabama, which is an entirely different story than just snow. Good for your DH for predicting it when the forecasters and local government failed. They're predicting sleet and freezing rain in our forecast in a couple days so I'm hoping that we won't get icy roads here. Our neighborhood streets are still a mess from the last two storms -- they plow in the neighborhood but don't salt, and people are lazy and don't clear their sidewalks. There's at least 4 inches of snow on all the sidewalks and the plowed-but-not-salted streets have a lot of ice slicks.

I still remember my first experience with an ice storm that I unfortunately was driving in. It was in Providence, RI, and I was going to an OT appointment. I got there fine, but on the way back I ended up spending over 30 minutes going the half a block up a hill from a stop light to my apartment complex. Every single car would move up a little, then slide back down, over and over. I'm still thankful that I managed to get home without an accident.

I will say that I love my all-wheel-drive Subaru and I am pretty likely to continue to buy Subarus or other all-wheel-drive cars as long as I live somewhere that gets a lot of rain and snow.

It is funny to me though how some cities like Seattle, where it snows and ices reliably every single year, manage to not plan for winter weather. Like what, they thought, "Well maybe THIS year it won't snow!" or something?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #44

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Even my mother's backyard bird feeders are deserted except for the great big Pileated woodpecker gorging on suet.

Jen, the evening news is full of your weather, but I'll be gone from here by the time the trend shifts a little further south.
I LOVE Pileated Woodpeckers! Unfortunately, we live in a stone house that was a farm for most of its life, so there are great big open fields, so we don't get to see them.

Lake effect has taken a weird track this year - we usually miss the bulk as we are too far north. This year the wind has been totally different and rather then hitting Oswego County, it has been Watertown and north so we have gotten NAILED! It's been horrible.

The sun was out yesterday and it was literally one of the top news stories!

Glad that you will be getting out and home and will miss any terrible weather!

Shannon - my Aunt works in Atlanta and lives in White, Georgia. She got out JUST before the really bad stuff hit and made it home. So glad she did, because she has 2 dogs that are crated. I don't know what would have happened if she had gotten stuck!! So glad you made it home, too!!

Jen

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #45

Hi cJessica,

Your summary of the weight loss observations with the brothers and carbs and fat probably reflet what all of us maintainers know... and which is why I prefer Weight Watchers-type diets over the no-carb or no-fat approaches. Because of my sugar-chocolate addiction, if I eat in an unbalanced way, I get real cravings for a better balance of food. That quickly turns into an intense addictive craving, because a rich chocolate fix immediately reduces the natural physical craving for whatever I am missing. The other thing that really helps me is obscene amounts of vegetables. I whip up a blender drink I call "green slop" with cooked zucchini, parsley, spinach, green beans, celery a few peas and a hodgepodge of spices. That plus other cooked veggies and salad I eat in unlimited amounts. A full belly, even if full of veggies, really helps keep the cravings at bay, as does a reasonable balance of protein/carbs/fat. Since I exercise 90 minutes a day, I'm also careful to be sure I get a fairly generous amount of protein.

December was a blowout, to be sure, but without too restrictive a diet I have managed to get back to around where I was right before Thanksgiving. Still have some more weight to lose, as last year I let stress guide my eating habits more than all my "better angels," shall we say...
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.