Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #61  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Chris, good lord, I need to make arrangements to visit Colorado in October. I have two friends in CA who are master chocolatiers - they ran a successful business out there until she destroyed her back. I so admire your courage and willingness to get back out there. What you're doing - not letting the fear control you - is what I consider true success and spirit. I think some of the self-control just comes out naturally from having a purpose; you're occupied, you have a direction, and you're a spirit in motion. Thumbs up and good luck!
ICU Wishing, You Too!?!?! This is too amazing if both you and Michele came out. Hugs all around I promise. The idea of successful maintainers meeting at a chocolate festival cracks me up, and proves that we can live in the world and enjoy life. Thanks so much for your encouragement.
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMohr View Post
Choctoberfest Colorado. If all goes as planned, on October 17-18 we're renting out the grand ballroom at the Marriott in southeast Denver Tech Center area and having 80-100 chocolate booths and thousands of people to come by and sample chocolates!
Marking my calendar to avoid all of Colorado in October, LOL. I'd never want you to know what my mind is thinking about when I picture that. Restraint? Moderation? I'm thinking Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Squared.

Glad to hear that you'll be busy the whole time. Hope it's a grand success.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
So it looks like the individual I hired to renovate the bathroom really, really frakked up the job. There was no way of knowing what he'd done until the walls were opened up.

So now DH is blaming me for all of this, since he is the one who volunteered and who I'm paying to try to fix it. I have now said that maybe the whole thing should be ripped out and redone but apparently that's not a good idea.

I had no idea who to hire. I thought DH, working for a BATHROOM and kitchen reno firm, might.

I'm really mad right now. If DH doesn't want to participate in this why doesn't he find me someone who can do this work? I have asked him repeatedly to do this.

ARRGH!

Dagmar
Dagmar, hire a reputable contractor and keep SO out of it. It is your house.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMohr View Post
OMG Michele if you come out to my Chocolate Festival for real, I promise you a free admission ticket and a friendly hug! Only problem, running a festival for 5000 people I'll have no more time than that!!
I would love to! Truly! But I doubt it's a possibility sadly. Maybe someday we can have a maintainers meetup somewhere. Chocolate festival sounds like a great place for it!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Many of you on FB have heard and I thank you for your sentiments. DH and I had Chico put down this morning. It was incredibly difficult--probably the worst of the four I've had to do it to. The last two were almost past the time when they should have left us, Chico was not. He still had his wits about him. I think he knew. I think he was hoping we'd do it the past couple of days. Before we left I held him and he kissed me--something he hasn't done much of these past 6 months or so (it used to be a daily ritual). I will aways cherish this. He had lost 17 pounds in the past 5 or 6 pounds and weighed less than when we adopted him at age 11 months. Still, he was only 9 and Labs often live to 12, my last two until 15, so it was much too young.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:50 AM   #66  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Sending supportive thoughts, Allison, as you think of Chico. Thanks for sharing Chico's last kiss.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

to you and Chico Allison And thank you for sharing that last kiss with us.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #68  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Allison.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #69  
Chuggin' along...

So sorry, Allison. It is so hard so lose our furry friends.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm new to this group, and this is a weird place to jump in, but: Allison, I am so sorry for your loss. It's always hard to lose a family member, but it sounds like he went feeling loved and cared for.
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Swan View Post
I'm new to this group, and this is a weird place to jump in, but: Allison, I am so sorry for your loss. It's always hard to lose a family member, but it sounds like he went feeling loved and cared for.
Welcome. We talk about our beloved pets a lot on this forum so it's not weird at all.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Many of you on FB have heard and I thank you for your sentiments. DH and I had Chico put down this morning. It was incredibly difficult--probably the worst of the four I've had to do it to. The last two were almost past the time when they should have left us, Chico was not. He still had his wits about him. I think he knew. I think he was hoping we'd do it the past couple of days. Before we left I held him and he kissed me--something he hasn't done much of these past 6 months or so (it used to be a daily ritual). I will aways cherish this. He had lost 17 pounds in the past 5 or 6 pounds and weighed less than when we adopted him at age 11 months. Still, he was only 9 and Labs often live to 12, my last two until 15, so it was much too young.
My heart goes out to you this morning.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #73  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Thinking of you, Allison, and remembering my own old griefs over losing much-loved animals.

It's hard to exercise that life-and-death responsibility that we have over them. It's the timing. Sometimes you keep second-guessing yourself, even if others tell you that you've made the right decision. Did you have it done too early, or too late? We feel they're entitled to every last minute of life at a certain level of quality that they can get. We want to be fair, to do the right thing, and maybe someone more objective than us confirming that our choice was right. Problem is, I don't think even that would satisfy us or ease the pain of having made the choice for them.

Last edited by saef; 01-26-2014 at 03:44 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #74  

Condolences to you Allison
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Thinking of you, Allison, and remembering my own old griefs over losing much-loved animals.

It's hard to exercise that life-and-death responsibility that we have over them. It's the timing. Sometimes you keep second-guessing yourself, even if others tell you that you've made the right decision. Did you have it done too early, or too late? We feel they're entitled to every last minute of life at a certain level of quality that they can get. We want to be fair, to do the right thing, and maybe someone more objective than us confirming that our choice was right. Problem is, I don't think even that would satisfy us or ease the pain of having made the choice for them.
All my friends on the Labrador Chat board said that they wished they had done it a day too early rather than a day too late. I think he probably would have held on for weeks more, but it was just too painful to see him not want to eat. Someone said to think of his three favorite things to do and when he can't do those, it is time. Well, eating was #1. Always is for a Lab. The fact that he had lost so much weight was really the most telling thing and my reasoning to put him down. It just wasn't fair to him to keep him around for my sake. I miss him like crazy.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote